“Warning "DO NOT ENTER"”

Ranked #397 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Elgin, Illinois
“Warning "DO NOT ENTER"”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We arrived at the hotel in the morning about 9. A couple was checking out because the hotel was terrible. The lobby of this hotel does not reflex the the pictures shown. The lobby is DIRTY!! We did not check in. We were told this was a 4 star by lastminute.com. and could not get a refund. The guy at the front window said this is a 3 star hotel. Please dont stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank T C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

First of all i was not impressed with anything this '4 star' hotel had to offer. The A/C does not work and was too hot. I usually rest a bit after a fligt but because it was too hot i decided to go out for the day and find a cooler place. Before leaving the staff asked me to leave the key at the reception, i thought it strange but this practice is used in other places so i complied. Once i returned i noticed that my luggage had been moved and touched. I had padlocked it before i left only to come back to find that they had picked the lock and stolen my money. This was in the evening, the receptionist of the time told me to walk down to the police station but i did not feel safe doing that and leaving my things again. I was flying early in the morning so had no time to go and make a report. When i told him to call the police to the hotel he insisted that this was not possible and i could not call them myself. I should have read the reviews of this hotel in advanced. It is not safe.

4 Thank Mohito_ish
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in July in the middle of the heatwave. Decor is Arabian and dated and public areas small (especially the lift which had a very strange smell and was shoddy). However we found the staff to be very friendly and very helpful and they all spoke some English. Our sons had ordered champagne and chocolates for the room which were there when we arrived and very nicely presented. Our room (4th floor) was spotlessly clean, not large but ok with fridge, safe and adequate storage though no hospitality tray. Wi fi worked fine as did the air con. The location is quiet and convenient for metro (10 mins into Cite) and has bars, restaurants and supermarkets close by. Not 4 star but a good 2 or even 3 star. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms are quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I was wholly misled by the four star rating. It was on the basis of that misleading rating that I mistakenly chose this out-of-the-way place.
Arriving on a blisteringly hot night, I found the air-conditioning did not operate anywhere in the hotel. There was only a night porter on duty. He said he could not reach the manager, could not refund my money, could not help to find another hotel. The very small size of the room, sub-standard bed, curious smell in the narrow corridor, shabby furnishings, small public area, lack of staff all were to be expected from a one-star hotel.
Despite being very tired, I felt unable to use the previously-booked room and went away at 11 pm to search for somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 151Michael
Sébastien D, Responsable relations publiques at Villa Royale Montsouris, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Customer,

We are sorry for the misunderstanding, but we must inform our clients that the hotel La villa Royale Montsouris is a 3 stars hotel. We understand the disappointment of our client, if he was expecting a 4 stars hotel.
All our Rooms are corresponding to 3 stars official Level, as per as our services, for example, only one night porter is in duty at night. Also, in order to save the environment, we cut off the Air-conditioning during the day. It is true that the night our client arrived, temperatures outside where very hot (35°C), but we have checked the air conditioning system and it was operating well, but it is not strong enough to cold down the room to 18°C, when outside, temperatures are 35°C.
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This hotel was very beautifully done in a Moroccan style. The decorating style flowed from bedroom to bathroom and throughout the hotel. Nice colors, lot of work was put in to maintain the theme. The rooms were cleaned daily, staff accommodating, moved us to a room for better Wi-Fi service. Supermarkets close by, and a restaurant close to the hotlel. Montsoursis park is in walking distance, as well as the tram service into Porte de Versailles and the Expo centre. We actually walked one day, took about twenty mins of leisurely walking. It is not the centre of Paris so the area is quiet at nights. We had a nice stay, most of the staff spoke English, and those who didn't tried hard to communicate with us the best they could.

Room Tip: The rooms on the third floors up are quieter and have better Wi-Fi.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank gracemc24
Kanpur, India
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We booked two rooms and when we landed up in Hotel ..we were quite surprised to see the Interiors...it's like Arabian Nights ...quite congested Hotel ...and rooms were quite small...bathroom gates were having a center glass window so not much privacy if you are with friend...or with family....breakfast was okay but the chef was not at all co-operative...I didn't see any welcome smile on his face during my stay for almost a week...reception guys were okay and quite helpful...we had to suffer problem with Hot Water ...in freezing temperature we had to took bath in cold water for almost two days ....later they fixed up this problem...on the last day I ask for late check out bcoz my flight was late evening ...earlier they agreed but on the final day they refused ...but after lots of discussion they finally agreed to allow me for some hours ....I booked taxi from the Hotel for Airport and this taxi guy took me on ride and ended up with huge 98 Euros bill from Hotel to Airport ...which was quite high and moreover I ended of losing my carry bag...he stole my bag and runaway ....I sent a mail to the Hotel but no answer... may be this is not in there control...but they should have answered me and have arranged the contact details of the taxi company to trace this taxi driver ....but anyway the stay was okay comfortable but last day was not very good ....Hotel in general was okay for a business travelers.....central location ..near to Metro ....and close to Exposition ...I appreciate the support from Reception Guys ...one Gentlemen from some African country was the best ....a perfect front office manager ....I appreciate his customer handling ...

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Sanjivsafit
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 February 2013

When we got to the hotel, there was 1 person there and he barely spoke English. Our room was outdated and had a crazy design that was not attractive at all (my opinion). The bathroom door had a window in it giving my sister and I no privacy. We had to wrap a towel over the window. The wifi barely worked. The rooms were cold and a little dirty and did not have much lighting at all. There is 1 restaurant next door and that is it! Nothing else around. When we were leaving I was waiting for 15 minutes in the lobby for my sister and then we were going to go to the airport (we were in a rush). It wasn't until we were walking out the door that the staff member decided to ask for a signature for the credit card! Completely unprofessional to wait 15 minutes and then ask when we were rushing out the door. This hotel is a complete headache. Do not stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family