“Valuable - Practical - Served its purpose well”

Villa Royale Montsouris
Ranked #399 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Valuable - Practical - Served its purpose well”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I read many of the reviews before booking this hotel via a hotel offer site - so my expectation was met accordingly and for the price I paid, I was pleased.

Everything the hotel claims is accurate, so no surprises - yes, you could say the rooms are smallish compared to other European cities - but as it only served as a base to sleep and rest - then it served its purpose well. I had no problem with this The room was very clean.

It surprised me that people complain on here about the hotel being far away from the centre of Paris - how can this be a surprise to people as the location is clearly shown on the hotel website. For me, I liked the location - was nice to get out of the main hub of Paris at night - there are some nice eateries and plenty of shops nearby. Also, with the Metro only 5 mins walk away and the RER less than 10 (direct line to CDG Airport) - this was ideal for getting to the centre of Paris (although not everything that you need to visit is in the 'centre' - so even more ideal).

The downside for me? ... wifi ! ... it was so intermittent that it was non existent - I don't think I was connected for more than 20 seconds at a time. I brought this to the attention of the staff member on reception - he was very helpful, rebooted the router etc, but the problem persisted and so I reckon it was just a poor service. As a lone traveller, and in this modern age, good wifi is really valued - it lets you read up on sights to visit, pre book, interact with friends back home on social media and post pictures etc. I was disappointed in the wifi.

Overall, I was happy with the stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
guestrelationshdpgrp, Responsable relations clients at Villa Royale Montsouris, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your very precise review. It is important to us to read the feelings of our customers. We are pleased to see that you have been satisfied.

We hope that you have enjoyed also our Moroccan style, and that you have tasted our buffet breakfast.

We are sorry that the WIFI wasn’t working during your stay. We have finally fixed the problem, and it is now perfectly working again.

We hope to see you again. Do not hesitate to book a superior room, much bigger and comfortable.

Eric Raffestin – Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Even though this was a 3 star hotel, the standard was not acceptable. We stayed for four nights here. We got the classic room and expected normal/little size, but the room was very small. It was enough for the two of us to stand beside each other next to the bed that we bumped into the table. I was aware of the size though, through previous reviews, but it was not a 3 star single room either. But the main problem was not the size, it was the tidiness and the showerhead. The bathroom had no curtains to separate th tub and the showerhead was leaking so badly. The room was cleaned every day, that was a plus, but the blue sheets covering the white ones were old and dirty. You could easily see old liquidstains on the cushin.

I didnt expect a lot from the hotel from the beginning and i have stayed at other 3 star hotels before, but unfortunatly this hotel wasnt fully up in the facilities they mentioned. Cleaness and space is very important, even though it is a small room, they can make it spacious by decorating it.

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room..
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danush C
guestrelationshdpgrp, Responsable relations clients at Villa Royale Montsouris, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your comment that will help us to improve the quality our service.

We are sorry that tour hotel was not suitable for you. However, we do not understand why you have booked our property, if you knew “from the beginning” that you would not like it ?

First of all, our property respond to the new 3 stars European tourism standards, and our property was classified so on July 2013. There is no doubt that all our rooms and facilities are responding to that classification.

We understand that our Moroccan style decoration did not suite to you, as you say: “they can make it spacious by decorating it”. Our decoration is fully advertised on all website, and we receive a lot of compliments.

In terms of pricing, our Hotel is certainly less expensive that in the city Center. But, we are situated near all public transportation, and the Center of Paris, like Notre Dame de Paris is at only 20 minutes away with the metro. For that reason, most of our clients are telling us that our property is a good value for money. It is certain that a 3-stars hotel in the city center is at least 50 to 100€ expensive per night.

Regarding the tidiness of you room, we will check with our housekeeper in order to improve the points that you mentioned. We take lots of attention in order to give all our customers satisfaction. We regret that you did not tell us during your stay, because we couldn't try to make you happier. Also, we can always try to upgrade our customers to a superior room, much bigger.

We do know that we can’t expect to see you again, but we hope to have given to you some answers.

Eric Raffestin – Hotel Manager
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel was lovely, staff friendly and helpful, room a little small but very pretty, especially the lamps and cleaned every day - we loved it. Buffet breakfast well priced and the Orly bus stops 50m away as well.

• Stayed April 2014
guestrelationshdpgrp, Responsable relations publiques at Villa Royale Montsouris, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Georgina,

Thank you very much for your review. We are pleased to see that you loved our hotel and its oriental style.

We are very well situated in order to reach every points of interest of the city, as well as both Airports and Eurostar with direct connection by underground or bus.

Our English speaking staff will help you to make your stay unforgettable.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

With best Regards,

Eric Raffestin – Manager of the Villa Royale Montsouris ***
Redding, California
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Hotel was distant from anywhere. First of all travelers need to know the key for your room here has to be left at the desk when you leave the hotel for any reason. DO NOT DO IT. Even when the key is on this heavy curtain pull keychain piece of work! I was out for the eve and left my travel partner to rest up. At 9:15 pm the key opened the door and she awoke to see a dark tall man staring at her! He left promptly! Well, you tell me what the heck he was doing opening our room door at 9:15 pm. I arrived back at the room at 10pm. Went down to the desk and asked what the heck was going on! No response, does not understand. My backside he didn't understand, so we spoke to the manager in the morning whom was going to investigate. The room was the size of a closet and the elevator was the size of a suitcase. I did not like it here, and did not feel safe or comfortable at all. Bathtub entry not comfortable to get in and out, as it was set up. Housekeeping always had their tools and cleaning supplies in the way to enter and exit, this place was not for us. And if you are smart you won't stay here at all.

Room Tip: Just don't or at least lock up anything you care about.....
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ShastaLake2014
guestrelationshdpgrp, Responsable relations clients at Villa Royale Montsouris, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for having taken a little bit of your time to explain to us what went wrong during your stay.

First of all, we would like to apologies very much that our service and hotel didn’t suit to you. It is very important for us to know your feelings, in order to improve our service.

Please accept also our following explanations :

We ask to all our clients to leave the key at the reception desk for security reasons. In case of fire, we absolutely need to know which room is occupied or not. Further our conversation in the morning, I have spoken to my Night Porter, and he fully recognized having opened your door at 9:15 PM. As you said, your key was available at reception, and he thought you were out. The reason he came in, was to control the good working of the Air-conditioning system, as he had a failure warning at reception. We are very sorry, that he has disturbed you, and made you feel unsafe.

We understand very well, that after that event, you describe our hotel so bad. But let us remind our customer’s, that we fully respond to the 3 stars European Standards. Our rooms size are from 14 to 21m². Also, I ensure, that all my teem cares very much doing their job with lots of respect for all our guests. Everyone will be able to see all other good reviews left on TripAdvisor, regarding our standards and services.

We regret very much, that we have failed to please you. I do hope that you will accept our apologies.

With my best regards,

Eric Raffestin – Manager of the Villa Royale Montsouris ***
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel has friendly service and offers a brief 10 minute train ride to Montparnasse. We enjoyed the area, including a family-friendly park down the street, walking distance from the outdoor market and several restaurants (Indian, Italian and brasseries). Although the hotel room was small, it had plenty of character that made up for its size. My wife and I would definitely return and would recommend this hotel to a friend!

• Stayed April 2014
guestrelationshdpgrp, Responsable relations clients at Villa Royale Montsouris, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Christian,

Many thanks for leaving a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at Villa Royale Montsouris.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, the quality of service and the hotel location.

For your next stay at Villa Royale Montsouris, please do not hesitate to request a Superior room, indeed this room category offers more comfort and space than a standard room.

We look forward to welcome you back as soon as possible!

Sincerely

Villa Royale Montsouris ***
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel name on the building is "Les Hôtels de Paris." It was a bit confusing when we arrived because we were expecting to see "Villa Montsouri." The hotel itself is small and quant. It's probably the equivalent of an American 3-star hotel. It's clean and well-kept but don't expect any luxuries.

Pros: The hotel is very close to the metro via the Cite Universitaire stop (about 2 or 3 blocks). You can catch the B (blue) line at the airport all the way to Cite Universitaire stop for €10. The neighborhood is fairly safe. The International University of Paris is across the street so you will encounter a young crowd on this route. The staff is polite. The breakfast in the morning is adequate. It's a very quiet neighborhood and everyone in the area is friendly, polite and speak English.

Cons: The wifi is free but spotty. I could only get access if I stood in the doorway or in the hallway. The rooms are a bit small, but we didn't mind as we did not spend much time at the hotel. The ceiling is slanted on the 4th floor. If you're tall, this might be a problem for you. The shower head in the bathroom is on the side wall (instead of the front wall). It was extremely awkward showering. I couldn't position myself in a way that was comfortable for me to shower without making a mess (there are no shower curtains). We managed but I found that quite odd. Last, the cleaning staff completely ignored the "Do Not Disturb" sign left on the door each day. He/she let himself/herself in everyday to make the beds and change the sheets. Our personal belongings were left untouched.

All in all, I would stay here again. It was convenient and moderately price. The metro access was a big plus.

• Stayed April 2014
guestrelationshdpgrp, Responsable relations clients at Villa Royale Montsouris, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Judy,

Thank you very much for having taken a little bit of your time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your last stay at the Villa Royale Montsouris Hotel. It is Important to us to know your feelings in order to go further with our service, and adapt if necessary our product.

Our Hotel is part of " Les Hotels de Paris group ", with 25 hotels in Paris, South French Riviera and Marrakech. The Villa Royale Montsouris is a 3-stars hotel according to the new European rules in Hospitality.

We are decorated with a Moroccan style, that's is very well appreciated from travelers and people looking for a romantic and original place.

Situated at the corner of two small streets without high traffic, we are near of all public transports, with direct access to both Airports, city center, and Porte de Versailles exhibition center. Situated near the beautiful Montsouris garden in the south of Paris, our location is indeed very convenient.

We are sorry for the lack of WI-FI on the 4th Floor, and we are contacting the Maintenance in order to improve the signal. After having done some tests, it seems that the problem is now behind us. Also, please accept our apologies for our staff that have entered your room without reading the sign at the door. I have clearly recommended to my staff to give a great attention to respect the privacy of our customers.

We hope to see you again. Otherwise, you can also have a look to our Website www.leshotelsdeparis.com, and find all information about our Group.

Eric Raffestin - Hotel Manager
Paleo Faliro, Greece
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed for a night while travelling on business early in March 2014. The hotel is ideally located 5 minutes away from Porte d'Orléans metro station (ligne 4). The neighbourhood is quite nice and quiet. The hotel room was small, but Ideal for a nights sleep. Very clean,with nice decoration,, beautiful bathroom and peacefull. I would definitely consider it for a trip to Paris especially if you are to move around with Metro and Public Transport. Breakfast was nice. There are some building Works going on next to it, but that doesn't bother. All you have to think while in Paris is just being out, so don't look for luxuries!! I would ask for a room in High floors even though all seem relatively small.

Room Tip: I would choose a High floor room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
guestrelationshdpgrp, Responsable relations clients at Villa Royale Montsouris, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Claire,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your last stay at the Villa Royale Montsouris Hotel. It is very nice from you to have published your personal photos of the hotel.

It is always very interesting for us to know how our customer’s feels in our property, and what they would like to see improved.

Regarding the size of your room (N°108), we would like to inform you that we will be pleased to give you a superior room on your next stay, indeed it is much bigger. The average size of superior room is 18m2. We invite all our customers to ask for an upgrade at check in. We will be pleased to offer it if we can.

We hope to see you again in our oriental decorated hotel, very much appreciated from travelers, either for business or leisure.

Eric Raffestin - Hotel Manager