“Elegance at affordable prices”
Review of The Modern Hotel

The Modern Hotel
Ranked #1,135 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 3 May 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
desarts, Responsable relations clients at The Modern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Considering the central location, this was good value. If you like Montmartre, which does have the Sacre Coeur and some charming back-streets but is becoming a seedy tourist-trap in parts, then you can do a lot worse than here. The en-suite bathroom in the double room was surprisingly good, new and well-maintained, and the double bed was fine. The staff were helpful but they had trouble with the credit card machine with me, eventually working. A criticism with this place and a lot of cheaper French city hotels is that the stairs were not good, certainly not "modern" and, while not generally dangerous, I would suggest any older adults take the elevator. Breakfast was included and standard but not bad. Overall, it is no palace but a lot better that what you can get in, for example, London for the same price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Oli H
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have stayed here a couple of months ago. Rooms were dirty with old and overused furniture, cables hanging out of the wall. Breakfast selection was poor. Staff were ok. There was a public car park very close by which was handy, and the only positive thing about the hotel is it's location. I would not like to come back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I made a booking in that weird hotel ! the hotel didnt even try my credit card and cancelled it without any reason ! When i called to have an explanation, the reception guy was soooo rude, I thought I called a cabine in the street !! Not polite at all ! next day I called again and another guy answered and promissed to give me an answer in an hour !!! well .. I am still waiting !

Im happy, my booking was cancelled !
How hotels like these can exist in Paris ?

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RIADHIDDEN
desarts, Responsable relations publiques at The Modern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Guests,

I would like to post my comments regarding this last review that is totally unfair to me.
The credit card card given to confirm the booking was not valid and the hotel was fully booked that day.
We have tried to reach you many times without any success
In this case,we had no other choice to cancell your reservation,it is a normal procedure and I am very sorry about that.

Kind regards from Paris.

A.M

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I knew I wouldn't get the type of hotel where you get room service or have the option of going to the pool or the spa. I wanted a nice, clean, place to stay in Paris that would not cost me a fortune because I'm not really into hostels. The concierge was always so lovely. They give you breakfast and wifi. It is close to two metro stations (so everything) and it's in the heart of Montmartre. I couldn't have asked for more. My room was always clean; the bed was comfy enough (unless you're expecting memory foam); there was very little noise, and I was on the ground floor. I have nothing bad to say about this place. It was lovely and I'd go back any day.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My parents paid for a trip for me and my boyfriend to go to Paris for one night, two days, as we were already in France on a family holiday, at the end of July 2013.

It took us a while to find the hotel, as we weren't expecting it to be so close to Moulin Rouge!

The room that we had was not brilliant. The bed was comfy and the room was clean, but there was damp coming through the ceiling above the shower that looked like it was about to fall through; there was no shower curtain; there were no curtains over the bathroom window; there were cracks in the porcelain of the sink; the toilet seat was hanging off and the bathroom window would not shut without having to lift it up and slot it in place. We did not feel that we could leave our stuff in the room as we were on the first floor on the main street of Rue Forest and did not feel that the room was truly secure.

The good thing about the room was although we were on the main road, once you closed the window, there was hardly any sound. The only problem with that was it was over 30 degrees in the day, so the room was extremely hot.

The location is literally minutes from Moulin Rouge, which is excellent and the streets around the area have nice little local bakeries/shops/restaurants!

The room met our needs for a place to sleep, but unfortunately I do not think that I would come back unless the room was significantly better.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 13 April 2013

great location, just next to Sacre Cœur and Montmartre.
It'll take you just half an hour to get to the Gare du Nord ... on foot!
Helpful staff
good breakfasts
Next to the hotel you'll find a lot of small cafes and bakeries.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo