“Good location for the price”
Review of Hotel Des Canettes

Hotel Des Canettes
Ranked #1,667 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 15 January 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights. For us, it was totally worth it. When we are on vacation, we spend very little time in the hotel room (other to sleep). The room was very small, and hotel basic, but we spent all of our time exploring Paris, so it wasn't a big deal. The noise was not bad for us (request a high room and bring ear plugs.. how much silence do you expect, you are in the middle of a major city!) It was convenient being so close to the metro, and there were a lot of resturant options walking distance away

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dem068

Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

The rooms are really tiny and the noise level is definitely not good for light sleepers. Though the metro stations are near, but it is still away from major attractions.

Bathroom is so tiny, you can only wash 1 leg at a time. ;p. Didn't get the breakfast but many options for breakfast in the surrounding restaurants.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

If you've stayed in European hotel rooms, then this hotel will be as expected. No frills but a good price (101euros for a single), clean, safe and great location. I booked based on reviews on tripadvisor, dreading the noise as other reviewers had stated. I had an interior room and there was one night where I could hear distant thumping music but I closed my window and it was fine. The staff was a bit curt at check-in but I don't expect overly enthusiastic (and sometimes fake) greetings so this was fine. At check-out, they did offer to call a car service for the airport, which was about the same price as a taxi but nicer. He was there in less than 10 minutes. Overall, fine place to stay and there are probably others similar to it.

I will say this is the first time I had stayed in the Saint Germain des Pres area of Paris and I would definitely stay in the area again. It felt away from the crowds, but within easy walking distance to everything.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

This hotel certainly was no frills. Easy to locate after getting off the metro at Saint Germaine des Pres, we had to drag our luggage up a flight of stairs to reception (thankfully there is a lift from there to the 5 floors).
Customer service was perfunctory and short (despite attempts to smile and greet).
The room was adequate size to open luggage and bed had clean sheets. Lighting was terrible however giving yellow paint a drab glow and making you feel like you're in a cheesy motel. Thankfully we were in Paris to sight see instead of hanging out in a room.
Bathroom was very clean but shower so tiny even as a slender personI could barely turn around!
Stay was ok, would recommend if you only intend to sleep and store luggage.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Well, let me start by saying that the hotel is a great choice for someone looking to spend little money and wanting to stay right next to a busy bar! This hotel is in the heart of Saint German, the rooms are small (like everywhere in paris), the bathroom is tiny but the shower is good. The hotel is right next to a bar, so if you're 18-40 you'll be ok, but if you're older than that, i would recommend searching for a hotel in another street, because it gets really loud until 2 am.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vivi_rojas
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Don't expect frills and fuss at Hotel Des Canettes. That said, why would you want to spend time in the hotel on a trip to Paris? Centrally located in Paris' trendy Saint-Germain-des-Prés district, Hotel Des Canettes is just a few minutes walk from the Saint-Germain-des-Prés and Mabillon Metro line. Before I went to this hotel, I'd read reviews of the noise that comes from the street below (there's an Irish style pub locate directly opposite the entrance to the hotel), however I didn't find this problematic during my 2 night stay but this was probably because our room was higher up on the 5th floor. Room are small and pokey but comfortable and clean. Equipped with adequate storage space (built in cupboards), TV, bathroom with complimentary shower gel & shampoo. This hotel is perfect if you want to experience central Paris on a tight budget.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I had consulted Tripadvisor.com before booking this hotel. I had read the reviews mentioning the bar across the street from the hotel and the noise. I wish I took those comments more seriously because noise became quite a problem during our five nights at Hotel Des Canettes. Three out of five nights I had trouble sleeping. The first night there was screaming, banging, and partying both inside and outside the hotel. It was a Saturday night and the bar and street were filled with people until 4AM creating disruptive noise. Some of those noise makers went from the street into the hotel (I presume they were staying there also) making it painfully hard to sleep. The other nights were not as bad, yet I could still hear people singing and yelling most nights.

Other than the noise we really liked the hotel and the staff. They were helpful, nice, and tried their best with the language difference. The rooms were suitable for us as budget travels. Rooms were clean, had a tv, and there was enough room to move around. I'm very disappointed that the noise was such a problem since everything else worked out nicely.

The hotel is in a great area (aside from the nearby bar), plenty of shopping, places to eat, and access to the metro.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple