“Cute Hotel, Excellent Location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Saint-Jacques

Hotel Saint-Jacques
Ranked #296 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Cute Hotel, Excellent Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

Hotel St. Jacques is a cute little hotel located near the Pantheon building, or the University area. The hotel is a short walk to the underground metro system. You can also walk to most tourist sites from the hotel. It is actually quite enjoyable to walk around in Paris rather than take the subway, so this location is excellent for that. The hotel itself is probably a 1 or 2 star hotel in Paris; the rooms are small, showers small, but everything is relatively clean, affordable and accommodating in general. If you are an overweight American, I would avoid this hotel, rather most hotels in Paris that are 1 or 2 stars - you won't fit into the bathrooms! The staff gave us a smoking room which was lovely besides the stench, so we were given the choice of 3 other rooms to choose from at no additional costs! Very nice lady working at the reception desk! BOTTOM LINE: If you are on a budget, want a great location and decent stay, this is a good pick! If they are full, I highly recommend New Orient hotel.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank J1PA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

Really great location, beautiful rooms. Worth the extra money to get a deluxe room with view of notre dame and the pantheon. Room was very spacious and wonderfully decorated. The staff was sweet and the 10 Euro breakfast was perfect.

Stayed January 2009
4 Thank AMW84
Milton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

We stayed at St. Jacques for 6 nights. We slected the hotel based on recommendation by friends who stayed last year there. It is well located in the heart of the Latin district. Very French hotel . Our stay was wonderful. Closed to Metro and walkable distance to Hotel de Ville and Noterdam.
It is also very closed to St Michel square and casual dinning resturants over there. Thought the price was high for the delux double room ( 189 Euro) but this was due to late booking by us adding to high season of the New Year.
Highly recommended if you book in advance to get good bargins.
Omar

• Liked — location and style
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank OS-Milton
Falls Church, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

I have stayed at the hotel three times and will certainly go back the next time I am in Paris. I prefer the Latin Quarter area where the hotel is located - it is two blocks down from the Pantheon. The rooms are a nice size and the bathrooms have all been renovated. The staff is friendly and very helpful before the trip and while we were staying there. There are many great restuarants and cafes nearby.

• Liked — Location, the large rooms and how they are decorated and the renovated bathrooms
  • Disliked — The room was a bit cool for the winter. Turned up the thermostat but it was still chilly.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PSU79
Winnipeg, Manitoba
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

I booked this hotel for 3 nights after reading glowing reviews here. My experience was very, very different.

Upon arrival, I staggered in with my bags late in the evening. It was clear I was beyond exhausted. The rude, rude man at the desk told me the lift was broken but should be fixed in an hour. I of course, would not expect conceirge service at a 2-star hotel in Paris, but none of the staff standing around lifted a finger to help me haul my bags up 4 flights of stairs, as I could not stand in the lobby for an hour waiting for the lift, as I was nearly ready to pass out from exhaustion.

My room was a joke. I was told I would have a full bath on my email confirmation, but got a shower instead, and was too tired to argue. The "room" consisted of a tiny, (6x4 foot - I'm not kidding) lower level and an up-to-date renovated shower room (about 3x5), but the bed was in a loft area, up another 14 stairs. There was a chair jammed in the lower level, but no real room to even sit down for a minute, except for the bed up the stairs. If two people were sharing this room, one would have to stay upstairs while you are on the lower level. There is no way two people could occupy or dress on the lower level.

This was during down season and most of the hotel was empty. I was given a room facing the alley, which provided a lovely view of rats scurrying about and vagrants using the alley as a toilet. I ended up storing my clothes on the stairway, which was a bit dangerous when trying to get down the narrow 14 stairs to use the bathroom at night.

I was given no introduction to Paris, or a map or directions to the metro. Every other hotel I stayed at in Paris, from 2-4 stars provide at least some welcome and orientation. The deskman yelled at me (I'm not kidding) for not turning in my key before heading out for the day. I did not know that is what they wanted, as no one explained it and none of the other hotels I had booked in Paris expected this. I very politely explained this to him and said I was sorry (he speaks fluent English) and he treated me like I was a total idiot.

The chamber maids did a very poor job cleaning my room. Toilet paper was not replaced, neither was soap or shampoo and yes, I did leave a tip out every morning, which they took. I was provided with two towels, and that's it. Carpet was not vacuumed once in 3 days. When I arrived the two micro glasses in the shower area were dirty with a previous guests toothpaste. The next day, these glasses were still not changed. I took them down to the rude owner and asked if I could have clean glasses, as these were still dirty from the previous occupant. He said he "didn't have any other ones". Finally, and very grudgingly, he got me two glasses from the bar and acted like I was the world's biggest aggravation. These glasses were never changed either and I finally bought some dish soap and washed them myself.

The elevator worked once during the three days I was there. They claim room service is available for breakfast, but only if you order the petit dejeurner, which consists or a rock hard chunk of baguette, a decent croissant coffee, juice and fruit salad for 15 euro, which is about $28 Canadian. I ordered coffee the first morning and it did not arrive after 45 mintues. I phone the angry front desk man and asked if my coffee was coming or should I just head to a cafe. He rudely said "the girl must have forgotten" like it was my fault. No apology provided. When the "girl" arrived, even she didn't know where we could find space to set down the coffee tray. I finally took my suitcase upstairs and put it on the bed and we used the luggage rack for the coffee tray.

One morning I tried the breakfast room. The young lady working there did not speak English. I heard her go upstairs and ask what I meant by omlette (which they have on the menu in English and French and which I pointed to and then mimed) and heard the rude man screaming at her for 15 minutes about my breakfast. Very pleasant for me to sit through. My French is good enough to know he was being abusive to her. After waiting for coffee for 30 minutes and still no omlette, I was ready to go cook it myself. When it finally arrived, the girl looked ready to cry. I can only imagine what it must be like to work for such an angry boss or owner.

Yes, the hotel has frescos and looks very charming and has been renovated, is located near the tourist area and the bathroom was new. But the treatment I received would have made a tent in a field seem more inviting. There are literally 100 other 2 star hotels in this district and I suggest you book one of them. I paid 110 Euros a night for this debacle. I truly recommend springing for the extra 60 Euros and moving up to a three star hotel, where in my experience you will be treated like an honoured guest. You don't want to walk for 8 hours at the museums and cringe when you think of having to head back to your hotel. I stayed at the Hotel Aramis, another 2 star hotel for only $98 euro a night, also in a central district, and was treated like a guest by all staff, so there are other options, I really suggest you look for them and avoid this place.

I left as soon as possible for another hotel and enjoyed my stay elsewhere. I would not send my dog to the Hotel St. Jacques.

• Liked — absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — incredibly rude staff, lack of cleanliness, cramped room, even by Paris standards
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
10 Thank elldee75
hotelsaintjacques, Owner at Hotel Saint-Jacques, responded to this review, 9 January 2009
Dear Guest,
Following your review on our hotel in which we can figure out a lack of objectivity and a rudness of remark, we take the liberty to through light on your claims as you did not report any incident throughout your stay or asked to see the manager.You occupied one of our rooms on the third floor, an atypical one which most of our customers request in their booking demands.
Would you have reported your unsatisfaction of the room, we would have allocated you another one as we were on low season and we had several other options.The claims forwarded towards the hotel in general and the room in particular bring me to several questions.
How can you claim that the room's dimensions are odd (6x4 feet for the room and about 3x5 for the shower room)?
We would like to remind that these measurements are false as the room measures 10x10 feet on each level .
How can you claim that there is no space to put at least a cup of coffee when the room has 2desks?
How can you claim that breakfast costs 15euros when we propose it for 9,5 euros and taking into consideration that you never had it during the 3 days of your entire stay?
To clarify things, you ordered on monday december 22 two coffees for 5,20euros, on tuesday 23 one coffee for 2,60euros and on wednesday december 24 one orange juice and one bacon and eggs for 6,70euros and a bilingual waitress was on duty !
How can you claim that we provide no maps of Paris, as we have plenty of them always available at the reception desk and also near the lift and the staircase.
Concerning the rudness of our staff, please read all other reviews of our guests on Tripadvisor who do not share your opinion at all.
Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Saint Jacques for 4 nights in early December and we had an excellent time. Our room on the top most floor, although very small, was extremely comfortable and had good views (even the Sacre Coeur in the distance). Brigette was very helpful, including ensuring an extremely early check-in and booking an airport shuttle pick-up. The hotel is at a great location, and definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank addabaj
Forest Hills, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2008

Very nice hotel with lots of charm, but rooms are small. Extremely comfortable beds. Nice views of street from some rooms. Extremely convenient for shopping, restaurants, touring. Very friendly staff. Some rooms near elevator are noisy. Price seemed right for area.

• Liked — location and comfort
  • Disliked — small rooms, elevator noise
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business