“Very good value hotel in Paris”

Hotel Clairefontaine
Ranked #1,315 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Very good value hotel in Paris”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This small hotel had good sized rooms for a weekend stay. We stayed for 3 nights and found it very comfortable. It is on a side street, so not particularly noisy. There was a good shower with a large head. The bathroom was clean and modern, with nice big drawers to store toiletries (rare in a hotel). The king size bed was comfortable. The two things which could be improved are the hanging space, which was too short to hang adult shirts, cardigans, etc and the safe was too small to hold a laptop.

The breakfast was a standard continental fare of croissants, cereal, fruit, jams, etc. It was a self service breakfast room, with plenty of stock and fresh, even though we did not have early breakfasts.The staff were friendly and helpful, greeting us whenever we appeared.

The location was perfect. We were near to Cimetiere Montparnesse, which had some interesting graves and about 10 minutes walk from metro station Place Denfert which links to the RER station on Boulevard Montparnasse. There were other closer metros but that one suited us best.

There were many restaurants which were a short walk away. We ate in a Japanese restaurant, Ayko Sushi on Place Denfert Rochereau, a Moroccan restaurant, Royale Berbere on Av. de Maine and also a traditional French restaurant La Coupole on Boulevard Montparnasse. There were many others but we only had three nights!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CazzaVJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I booked a room at this hotel in January through Booking.com. A couple of weeks before my stay at end of May I had a message saying they had overbooked and they were instead offering a room at another hotel. This hotel was under renovation, had a terrible website and terrible reviews about the noise and dust -- it did not appear to be comparable but I was offered this at the same price. Unfortunately for me many hotels in the area were booked up by that point or had inflated there prices due to high demand. It took 48 hours to sort out the problem myself (the hotel did not offer a second alternative). Appalling customer service. I know hotels occasionally bump customers, but they had no excuse as my booking was made months earlier.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KALUK

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

The hotel, in itself, is probably at best 3 out of 5, but the rate of 75 euros which I got for a single room (and its location close to Gare Montparnasse, where I needed to catch an early train), push this up to the four level. Unlike some reviewers, I didn't find the hotel particularly charming, but my single room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. I couldn't get the shower to produce hot water BUT I didn't report it to reception because I was rushing for my train. I'm sure if I'd had more time, the hotel would have sorted this out! I would definitely stay again, if I got the same price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed 11 February 2013

As a student looking for a place to stay overnight in Paris that was well-placed and not too expensive, this hotel fit the bill.

I booked for one night in a single room at a very affordable price. Clearly the hotel was not so busy, so they kindly gave me a double room at no extra cost. Clean, spacious and modern. If the weather was warmer, the hotel courtyard would have been a lovely place to spend some time.

The only negative is that due to the room facing onto the outside courtyard, I woke up feeling quite cold! The bed, however, was very warm with lots of covers. This would only be a slight issue during a few months of the year, and it just meant I had to stay in bed a little longer in the morning while I waited for the heating to warm up the room.

In terms of location, this hotel is perfect whether you're travelling to/from Gare Montparnasse or to Paris-Orly airport as it is very close to Place Denfert Rochereau.

I didn't try the breakfast, as 10 euros is a little pricey. There are plenty of patisseries nearby. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Eytan H
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I have just returned from Paris, where I was staying in hotel Clairefontaine. This hotel is far from a perfect, still I have no complaints simply because it is so charming and cute. I'm not picky, to me the most important is that the accommodation is clean and that the staff is friendly and polite. There I found all of this and I was very pleased. The hotel is located in a quiet area of Paris, Montparnasee. Right next to the hotel, there are restaurants, shops, coffee shops, bakeries so you don't have to take breakfast if you don't want it. Breakfast costs 10 EUR. I took it because it was convenient to me.
Breakfast was average.
The hotel is located next to two metro stations Gaîté, line 13, and Denfert-Rochereau, from where two lines, 4 and 6, connect this part of Paris with all the most famous buildings in the city.
Nice!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
jacksonville, fl
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I had stayed at Hotel C. five nights on two separate occasions during an 11-day trip to three French cities with stops in Paris at the beginning, end, and in the middle. The location is super for for travelers. It's a 10-minute walk from the Denfert-Rochereau station on the line from CDG and even less from Gare Montparnasse (although it's uphill from the latter). The room was modest and small -- although I've seen smaller in Paris. It was decorated in a minimalist style and maybe it was done a wee bit on the cheap, but everything was fresh and the place was spotless. The interior courtyard would have been nifty during a warm evening, but was a non-starter in November's rain and fog. For me, the big pluses was easy-to-access free wi-fi and generally friendly young people manning the front desk. They appeared to operate insanely long shifts and appeared interested in talking to people -- at least in French, English or Franglais. The only real bummer for me was one particular front-desk clerk, who, during my last evening at the place, felt obliged to badger me on two separate occasions about paying my bill in advance. After explaining that I had previously stayed there and paid my bill when leaving and as expected, and that clients shouldn't be treated as thieves, he told me some tale about one woman who didn't pay. This was unnecessary, unprofessional, and unwelcome. I would never pay 10 euros for breakfast, especially in a neighborhood with a dozen bakeries.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank senorbigstuff
British Columbia
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I recently had the pleasure of spending 3 nights at the Clairefontaine. This is a small hotel, an easy walk to the Montparnasse stations, and close to a couple of good bus routes. I had a single room with a window opening onto the street. The room was small but still bigger than I expected.
Decor is modern and attractive, bed and pillow very comfortable . Internet is available and quick.
The breakfast room is neat with a serviceable breakfast, Nescafe pod machine delivers a good coffee. As others have mentioned there is a good bakery on the corner of the street, where a coffee and a couple of pastries could be had for less than 5 euros. Staff were more than helpful and reception is manned 24 hours a day. All in all great value for money accommodation in a nice neighbourhood and close to transport. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family