“Great Value, but Unfriendly Staff and Poor Service”
Review of Hotel Campanile

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Campanile
Ranked #1,348 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
San Diego
“Great Value, but Unfriendly Staff and Poor Service”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at Hotel Campanile for our 3 nights in Paris. Overall, I would say that the rooms are clean, with clean sheets and towels.

Pros:
- Clean sheets and towels provided daily.
- Location is fantastic. Right next to Gare du Nord (15 min walk)
- Train Station is Louis Blanc which can take you almost anywhere in Paris and it is right across the street from the hotel.
- WiFi is provided and is fast in the Lobby, slow in the rooms.

Cons:
-The walk from Gare du Nord to the hotel gives a poor impression of the neighborhood. This is not the best neighborhood in Paris.
-One plug in in the rooms. This is quite insufficient to charge your camera, cell phone and laptop. I brought a plug with multiple extensions and it didn't work. It would have been a lot better with more plug ins.
- Bathroom shower is only covered half way and there were leaks from the bathroom shower to the floor. It was an inconvenience and should be addressed by the hotel.

Overall:
I would say that it is great value. Although the neighborhood is not the best, Louis Blanc was so close that we hardly spent anytime in the neighborhood and didn't experience anything unsatisfactory. The price was great and definitely worth it. It costs a lot more to stay elsewhere and when on holiday, we hardly spent any time in the rooms except to sleep.

Don't expect any tips or suggestions from staff, since most of them were unfriendly. Also, don't expect any help from them in terms of information about Paris. Collect your own information from the train station, airport etc, and use the internet, so you won't need to talk to any of them.

Room Tip: Choose the side which faces the back of the entrance for less noise. Try to choose a room with more...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank prahladpp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
VA
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Modern, clean hotel near Bastille subway stop and Marais. Great location. We did not get breakfast for 10 Euros PP, opting for petit dejuener or a bakery on our way. There is a nice patio out back and a grocery store next door, which worked for a low budget dinner a few nights. Small, clean rooms and courteous staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank VaConnie
Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My husband and I were heading to Paris for a business conference for him. We booked this hotel because it was relatively cheap ($150 a night) and near the conference and the Tower. It was neat because the main picture showed seeing the tower from just outside the hotel (yeah we found out that this was if you crossed the street!). We get there on Monday afternoon and the temps were in the high 80's we get a room on the 6th floor which was not a problem. However we get to the room and it is sweltering... all the windows open and no air what so ever. they had a fan in the room which you had to reset every two hours. there was NO closet just three hangers on a rod. the Shower was miniscule you couldn't even turn sideways in it even if you were a size 3! to use the toilet you felt as though you were squeezed into a closet! To top it off the room was falling apart! tiles were coming off the walls but the worst part was of the two power outlets in the entire room one of them was falling out of the wall!!!! We stayed one night and then checked into the hotel Eiffel Seine... a much better hotel and close by!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Inky1231

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Rooms were small but modern enough and very clean. Perfect if all your looking for is a clean and comfy place to stay in Paris. It is a very close to the main train station which you come in from the airport on. (15 min walk) The area itself is rather local, with a great mix of cafe's, bistros and ethnic restaurants at the hotel doorstep. We did nother buy breakfast as there is a multitude of options nearby inc fruit stands, convenience stores and French bakeries with fresh pastries. If you are going to spend alot of time in the room for work then this hotel may not be ideal as it is somewhat small but perfect for someone who spends the day exploring the city and needs a clean and comfortable place to rest.
Desk staff were courteous and helpful when needed.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Shannon C
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

The rooms in the hotel are small byt they have everything you need the bathroom is also small if you are a big person you may not fit. Breakfasts are very good with fruits pastry coffee tea etc. The hotel is super well located just a few blocks away from the metro station and the Eiffel Tower but not that very close on foot to champs Elisee however you can take the metro. There are lots of convenience stores near by, if you want to save some money in expensive Paris. This is the type of hotel just to go to sleep and spend your day doing tourism. They have cable tv and beds are comfortable. As I mentioned before it is worth the stay because it is super well located.

• Stayed April 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 February 2013

DO NOT go there..
Very bad experience..
The 1st day we got there.. We put the "do not disturb" sign and tried to nap, and a maintenance guy walked in while we were naked in bed.
The second day I put the "do not disturb" sign while I went to buy some breakfast, and when I got back I found the cleaning lady in our room.. WTF.. CAN'T French people read !!
The rooms are very small.. Bathroom is very tight, doesn't even take 2 regular size adults standing next to each other.
The AC doesn't work on cold.. Only on hot. The fan doesn't work on lower temperature.. Which makes the room very hot (considering its very small).
The toilet seat is positioned in a very wired angle makes it uncomfortable to be used, because you need to sit diagonally to be able to do the business.
WiFi Internet is VERY slow..and you need to login with the room number and the username every time you want to use it.
Staff don't speak good English , or don't speak it at all.. It's a hotel , right? ..for strangers from out of town.. Right?
At the end when we left, we asked for a cab (a regular taxi) , and they ordered some private van that we thought is a taxi. And the driver over charged us at the airport (with no meter and no warning about the trip fare)
Price for a night in that hotel was not cheap, considering it was a low season (February) .
DO NOT.. SERIOUSLY DO NOT GO THERE...

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Ahoussamo
Brasov
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I am talking about the Hotel Campanile Gonesse Le Bourget situated in the Paris area on 14 rue Ampere.
I was a guest there between the 18 th and the 21 st of August 2012 in room 31 ( if I remember correctly).
The room was filthy beyond description and in poor appearance .The bed cover was stained on the reverse side( I mean the side that is in direct contact with the body).I tried to convince the reception desk man to have it changed but what he brought was even worse.So the first night I had to sleep on the towels from the bathroom , praying that those were cleaned.The water heater from the coffee table has not been cleaned for ages and it is heavily stained with something that seems like old coffee.
On the second night when I arrived at a hotel after spending a day in Paris when I fluffed my pillows on the bed I seem to have disturbed a cock-roach that was resting under my pillow.When I got over the initial shock I tried to contact the same reception man and ask him to take some action.he insolently replied that I should be the one to give him solutions.Then I suggested that he would bring me some cock-roach spray or the tablet that can be plugged into an electricity device but he informed me that he had none.So I stayed up half the night hunting cock-roaches.
I managed to kill one but I have no idea how many there were in the room.
I will enclose pictures taken with my mobile of the live one and on the dead one on the wall.
You will ask me why I did not check out of the hotel.I could not for I was a member of a party of 44 people that were guests at your hotel.
Maybe now you can understand my anger.Such a situation is unacceptable and the manner in which I was treated by the hotel staff is beyond my understanding.
When I left the hotel I promised the reception desk man that people and the rightful authorities are going to hear about my experience there.
I know this is not ever going to happen but I will do my best to make sure that no one will go through what I went through as a guest in that hotel.

Room Tip: Do not even think of making a reservation there
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends