“Locked out of my room”

Caulaincourt Square Hostel
Ranked #1,223 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Given the location of the hostel, the price is quite good, and breakfast is great. However, you are locked out of your room between 11am and 4pm every day, so it can be "cleaned". I arrived at 4.30pm one afternoon and cleaning still wasn't finished so I was forbidden to go in, despite looking visibly unwell and needing to get to medication in my backpack. Having finally gained access to the room, there was no difference between the way it was when I left it that morning, and the way it looked at the end of the day so I don't know what actual cleaning took place. The 6-bed dorm is also cramped - be prepared to sleep with your face about 30cm away from the next bunk. There are no lockers in the room to store your belongings, and you only get one blanket - if you want sheets, you have to pay for them. Front desk service ranges from disinterested to borderline hostile, depending on who serves you.
This hostel is fine if you only want somewhere to crash each night, but I don't recommend the 6-bed rooms, there just isn't enough space.

Room Tip: Go for the smallest number of people in the room that your budget will allow.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Caulaincourt Square Hostel

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed in a 6 bed dorm and it was very squishy. The ensuite is also very small. But the hostel is in a really good location and the breakfast is nice. If travelling with luggage don't take the train because the station has lots of stairs and no lifts.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Given that Paris is an expensive city this hostel was well located for the price we paid. The breakfast was nice and the double room an adequate size however sleep quality was very very low. We were located in a room with a window that opened out towards the stairs and restaurants below the building. A lot of noise carried up from this especially when people sat drinking and smoking on the stairs. We would have liked to close the window but this was not possible as it was too hot and there was no air con. Also, the walls of the building are paper thin and people make noise slamming doors and walking in and out of the hostel all night

If you intend to go to Paris and not sleep his hostel would be perfect but otherwise consider a quieter option.

Room Tip: The rooms opening out to the street and stairs are awful - definitely ask for a room further into th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I would say the location, breakfast, price and the room are good, but there is a man in front desk ruined the image of the hostel. He is rude and unwilling to help.

When we arrive the hostel in the morning, we planned to put our luggage first and check in later. So we approached that man in front desk and said we have booked a room. But he just keep saying that the check-in time is 2pm for many times and didn't help until we told him we just want to put the luggage here.

Besides, we came back to hostel at 1230am one day. We decided to drink something, so I put my coke in the refrigerator in the common kitchen. 30minutes later, we tried to take back the coke and get some hot water in the common kitchen. But that man told us the kitchen is closed and not allow us to take back my coke. And we have brought some cheese and salad sauce at that day, but we cannot freeze it also.

Overall, most of the staff in this hostel is nice and helpful except that male front desk staff. The location is good as it near metro, the breakfast is good, price is reasonable in Paris.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 952kenc
Reviewed 3 July 2014

So the front desk staff are quite helpful and accommodating for French people.
The rooms are pretty good for a hostel, I stayed in a double bed with my boyfriend and it was all we required with a small little bathroom. Can't complain considering its a hostel however the cleanliness was a lil to be desired ( I had hair in the bed and in the bathroom, not mine!) and the breakfast.... Well you get a croissant and a drink!
Good location for moulin rouge and metro train

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was pretty much my only option to stay at because I didn't book anything ahead of time while Paris was "in season." Turns out, I made a good choice. The value was good and breakfast was alright. Kept me full until lunch time. The description says that this is a quite area.... it's not. At least not where I was. It didn't bother me though, I enjoyed listening to the music every night. There is also a restaurant right below the windows, so you would get to hear quite a bit of ruckous from that as well. The rooms are small but only 4 people at a time in the rooms. The shower rooms were TINY and if you're claustrophobic like me, you'll do all you can to avoid them. Overall, it's a decent place. The wifi was good and the staff were helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in small but clean room. We were on the top floor which overlooked some of the city. Beautiful scenery! The place was nicely decorated and in a great location. The area was very charming and picturesque! There is a great cafe next door and Paris was about a 15 min walk. The service was friendly and helpful. The staff was even nice enough by letting us print our plane tickets out for free. The free breakfast and Wi-Fi was also a great bonus. The price was right for what we got! We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Top floor was scenic
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple