“Not a hostel exactly”

and 1 more site!
Caulaincourt Square Hostel
Ranked #1,209 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is more of a hotel than anything else: there is no common room and you do not get to meet people in activities and such.

Breakfast: absolutely horrible. You only get a croissant and a small bread as well as a choice of three average cereals. The kitchen is extremely small and basic. The coffee is disgusting, but coffee in Paris is awful in general anyways. I got sick of it and went to Soul Kitchen nearby, which is amazing!

It is very average, it isn't the cleanest hostel. I would suggest to go elsewhere if you want to meet people and get better food.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My adult children and I stayed 2 nights in a 3 bunk room. The ensuite was clean and functional. The wc was shared with 4 other rooms, but I only had to wait one time to get in. The view from the window was awesome. There isn't a.c., so there was some noise from the steps outside, but we got good sleep. The location was just what I wanted, near the metro, Sacre Coeur, and the area by Moulin Rouge without being touristy. The breakfast was perfect for me. One guy at the desk didn't seem to have the greatest English, but this is France, so I don't expect everyone to be perfectly fluent. He really tried to be helpful once he knew what I wanted. The manager and especially the German clerk, Nicole, could not have been more helpful. I expected a hostel to be a unique experience, and I am so glad I chose this one. BTW be careful when walking in because Caulaincourt Square is a small area OFF rue de Caulaincourt, not on the street itself. We went all the way past Montmartre Cemetery and had to go back up the hill.

Room Tip: The 3 bed room with a small table and 1chair suited us.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Rooms are small but clean, there is no air-con but the windows open so the ventilation is good.
Location is in a really nice part of Paris, not too touristy and the metro is 2 minutes walk away. Also near Sacre-Couer which is pretty cool.
The staff are wonderful here, the service we received at reception was really helpful and friendly.
We stayed here for 8 nights and loved it! Would definitely return here and recommend, especially as it's just about the cheapest option in Paris!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My wife and I stayed in a room with a double bed and shower. It came with a new, small flat screen TV and a safe. Breakfast was included free of charge and it was very good. It included a roll and a croissant with butter, jams, orange juice, milk, tea, and other hot drinks. The cafe and patisserie just outside were both very good. The nearest metro station was also just about a 5 minute walk away. The staff was also very helpful and friendly. We had a very good experience staying here to explore Paris.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Went early in July during the world cup. Got a very clean room with friendly and excellent service. Loved the location. Really beautiful area. Would stay here again, definitely. Nice view from the room too!

1  Thank RajahPutih
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Left my IPod on the bed in the room by accident. Realised it within an hour and sent an email requesting them to post it to me and send me details so I could pay the postage. After resending the mail 5 times they responded that they did not find it. Very disappointed in the service.

3  Thank Ingelise M
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Given the location of the hostel, the price is quite good, and breakfast is great. However, you are locked out of your room between 11am and 4pm every day, so it can be "cleaned". I arrived at 4.30pm one afternoon and cleaning still wasn't finished so I was forbidden to go in, despite looking visibly unwell and needing to get to medication in my backpack. Having finally gained access to the room, there was no difference between the way it was when I left it that morning, and the way it looked at the end of the day so I don't know what actual cleaning took place. The 6-bed dorm is also cramped - be prepared to sleep with your face about 30cm away from the next bunk. There are no lockers in the room to store your belongings, and you only get one blanket - if you want sheets, you have to pay for them. Front desk service ranges from disinterested to borderline hostile, depending on who serves you.
This hostel is fine if you only want somewhere to crash each night, but I don't recommend the 6-bed rooms, there just isn't enough space.

Room Tip: Go for the smallest number of people in the room that your budget will allow.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo