“Very small rooms and killer stairs, but good location”
Review of Hotel Marignan

Hotel Marignan
Ranked #491 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Gainesville, Florida
“Very small rooms and killer stairs, but good location”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We reserved a room for 5. It really was a room for 3 very tight, were they added 2 extra beds in a way that it was impossible to get in and out of bed without crawling over another bed.
The location is very good, the price reasonable for what they offer, and the breakfast nice...BUT be warned that the family room for 5 it is ok for a slumber party sleeping accommodations, not to be comfortable at all.
The private bathroom is ok and the water pressure and temperature in the shower are nice, but the bathroom wall does not go all the way up.
The stair is narrow and circular, so to get the luggage to the room is not an easy task either.
Travel light, only single and double rooms, and you will enjoy the location.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Alejandra5210

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Although the hotel is in a lovely neighborhood close to many of Paris's most famous sites (Notre Dame is just a few blocks away), that is the only reason to stay in this place. The manager of the hotel is nothing short of crazy (I've never met a more disagreeable, pushy, greedy and disrespectful person in my years of traveling), and the rooms are very cramped, even by Paris standards. They shut the hot water for showers off at 10:30 every night, so don't plan on taking a hot shower if you come in after dinner/show/bar. If you do not plan to be in your room at all during your stay in Paris, then this is a fine hotel for you. My advice: avoid.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank CityofLightsnLove
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2011

We have returned to this hotel for a second time because of the friendly atmosphere and great location. Use of the hotel kitchen to prepare evening meals, then joining other guests in the dining room has been most enjoyable.
Gaye & John, Melbourne Australia

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank GabrielleJohn
USA
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Great location!! 5 minute walk to Notre Dame and RER, which was nice when getting to and from the airport and other attractions in Paris. Service was great. Because I was a late arrival they left a nice note on the door with a map on where to pick up my key, which was very helpful. Breakfast was OK - the baguettes we had weren't fresh, but it was doable for the 3 days we were there. The room was small, but we were hardly there anyways. We had a quadruple - and the 4th bed was just a cot crammed in the middle of the room, but it was fine. Hotel was quiet and it was easy to sleep. We were supposed to have a toilet in our room, but it ended up being a shower and a sink, which was fine. Definitely recommended, as long as you're not fussy.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank nes24
Poitiers, France
Reviewed 4 June 2011

We stayed two nights at the hotel. The location is perfect. The front desk people are really nice—I recall them being a bit pressed and less friendly in August 2010. And I always look forward to the hotel breakfast, such a nice added bonus since it’s included in the price.

We made it to the food market two blocks away on Saturday morning to stock up on picnic supplies for the Tuileries in order to spend the day people watching, eating delicious food, and water coloring (I packed two water coloring sets and a pad of paper that I bought from Target! My mother loved it!). On Sunday, the vendors were selling used books. There is a small grocery store 2 blocks away as well.

Now, I must admit that I was a bit disappointed by my second stay at the Hotel Marignan, given how perfect it was when I visited with two friends last August (Feel free to read my review from August 2010, as it will probably have more helpful hints). For sure I had a different perspective this time, as I went with my mother and we were exhausted as it was the last stop of our trip. The two reasons for my slight disappointment are below:

I requested a room on a lower floor for my mother’s sake (as there isn’t an elevator). We were given a relatively large, clean triple room on the second floor, right above the hotel’s entrance. As you can imagine it was really loud at night but we were normally so tired that it didn’t matter—we just couldn’t keep the window open at night.

The second issue relates to plumbing. When in the bathroom you could always hear whoever was flushing the toilet on all the floors above and (sorry for the t.m.i. that follows), the bathroom usually had less than desirable smell for awhile afterwards. This slight unpleasantness was only an issue when getting ready in the morning and at night in the bathroom, but I feel that it is still worth noting.

Regardless of the minor noise and plumbing issues (remedied by requesting an inner-facing, higher floored room), I still recommend this hotel because it is ideally located and perfectly priced for budget travelers.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank pilly5
Melbourne
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Good website to give you idea of what to expect and how to get there. Surprised to see people who were unaware that this place has stairs only- no elevator. Really only need to go up and down a few times a day so didnt really matter to me and im really unfit.

Really good place to stay if on a budget. Free laundry use as well as refrigerator and kitchen use. We did two loads of laundry in a 5 night stay. Breakfast is provided, simple baguette and spreads, fruit salad, etc... Prefer low price and simple breakfast than something fancier.

Rooms were clean with plenty of storage space. Bathroom facilities were shared but hardly ever had a problem with access. Each floor only has 4 rooms, which shares a bathroom and toilet. Check the floor plan they provide on their website.

Hotel noticeboard provides good customised information for attractions as well as local facilities, eg supermarket - including opening hours. They've put a lot of time and thought into helping travellers instead of having a stack of brochures.

The downside of the hotel is that the rooms have thin walls, so noise from neighbouring rooms may disturb some. I sleep like a log so doesn't matter to me... Though ear plugs would solve the problem. To assist with a quiet environment, no showers are supposed to be had after 2245 but its not like they disconnect the hot water, so if you really have to....

Overall a good hotel in a very good location, in the latin quarter which definitely is not as seedy as the montmartre district.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors = less stairs
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TSR71-Nguyen
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We stayed on the bottom floor in the room directly across from the breakfast room. The prices are low, the owner is extremely friendly and helpful, and the location is excellent. This is a bare bones hotel though - the linens are old, the beds are not terribly comfortable, the bathroom facilities were outdated (but functional), and the breakfast was just okay. But, hey, you get a nice french roll and cream cheese (or butter) and fruit and coffee (or tea) and the ladies serving you are very pleasant. The free laundry facilities were a huge help as this was the middle leg of our trip. Also, we got dinner from local storefronts and could come back and use all the kitchen facilities and even could use the fridge to keep our wine cool. It was very homey and convenient. We read some reviews about a horrible front desk woman - well, we met her and she wasn't horrible at all. Yes, she is no nonsense, but also a bright and helpful lady if you treat her and the hotel respectfully. This is a great value overall and I would definitely recommend it for the budget conscious.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple