“Our tenth visit and it's as good as ever!”
Review of Hotel Marignan

Hotel Marignan
Ranked #503 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Several years after our first stay at the Marignan, we went back with some friends for a four-days break. We can't imagine a better place to stay in Paris.The hotel is clean and efficient, and has a wonderfully informal, relaxed feel to it. Staff are very knowledgeable and supremely helpful. It's in the ideal location - just a few minutes from Notre Dame and the Sorbonne. and the corner shop has everything you need for a day's picnicking.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are sunnier and brighter
Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 15grosvenor
There are newer reviews for Hotel Marignan

Reviewed 3 July 2012

This place is the best. We stayed in a four person room with a private shower and toilette. There was a double bed, a single bed, and another roll away single bed.

There is a kitchen and fridge for patrons to use. Also a sitting area where breakfast is served. Breakfast included delicious orange juice, hot chocolate or coffee, baguette, cheese, jellies, chocolate hazelnut spread, and small fruit cup. Sometime we would buy baguettes, cheese, fruit and wine and sit in the sitting area for lunch. It was so nice.

The owners are awesome. So helpful and friendly. Great to talk to. I felt like we were in good hands. I miss them!

The location is perfect. The Latin Quarter has it all. Great restaurants, bars, and shopping. The hotel is on a quieter street which is perfect. We could walk everywhere from here. We were a short walk from Notre Dame and the Pantheon. There is also a really great open air market in the mornings. They have local people selling scarves, jewelry, and food. In this area there are great specialty stores selling wine, bread, pastries, fish, meat, cheese, etc. There are also a few grocery stores within walking distance.

This is the place to stay. When I return to Paris I will 100% stay at Hotel Marignan. It's perfect for all types of travelers - couples, family, and friends! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kaitlyn S
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We have just spent five days in Paris staying at Hotel Marignan. This hotel is very well situated within walking distance of the Notre Dame, the Louvre and many other museums and gardens. It is clean and comfortable and easy to find (directions from Metro station on website).

The management were both helpful and friendly, and we were well looked after by them (e.g. shuttle buses, boarding passes, eating out etc.).

I liked the access to the kitchen so I could make a cup of tea/ coffee whenever I liked. We ate in the dining room a couple of times because the market food was so tempting.

Eating out: From the hotel go up the hill - towards the University and Pantheon - for some excellent 'set menus', or gather food from the market area that is about two blocks away (ask Kim). We were disappointed in the 'set menus' in the obviously touristy areas towards the Notre Dame - no surprise.

The free laundry service at the hotel was also great.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The staff were very friendly and helpful, managing to find us a room very last minute. Rooms were basic and clean. Great if you are travelling on a budget. It was also in a really great location, meaning you could walk to most attractions and if not there was a good metro line really nearby.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The hotel is siting in a quiet neighbourhood with good location, Saint-Michael RER and another metro is nearby. Practically you can walk to Norte-dame and take the boat cruise nearby. Room and bathroom is clean, so is a good place for the price you paying. The downside is the staircase is narrow and steep, we have hard time dragging luggage to the room. So try to ask for room on the lower floor. However, their room is really limited, so book early.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the lower floor if you dont want to climb many floor of staircase everyday, especial...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel twice during my travels. The first time with four other girls for five nights and the second time for one night with two other girls. The pro's start out with location, a great part of town near Notre Dame, the Seine and the metro stops St. Michel, Notre-Dame, Cluny, & La Sorbonne. Breakfast is included & the hotel is set on a quiet street without a lot of nighttime noise. They provide free washer and dryer and it is very economical for travelers on a budget. Also the staff is very helpful and friendly (for the most part, I will explain at the end).

The con's began with the fact that the first time our room was very small for five people, but we didn't mind too terribly considering what we paid. The second time the room was plenty large but the WC was unbearably small. The showers are shared by floor but that never ended up being a problem. At night you could hear noise in the hall and the stairwell (of guest who were out late coming and going) so the walls were definitely not soundproof. And although breakfast was included it was always the same baguette with jams and Nutella, fruit cup and choice of coffee or tea. Which is very nice but by the fourth morning we really did not care to look at another plain baguette and the fifth morning we bypassed free breakfast all together. I will say that the second time around the hostess was very gracious and as we were getting up very early to catch a plane she put together a "to go tray" for us to have breakfast in our rooms before the staff arrived.

The last major con was one particular employee was very difficult with which to get along. She was a bit of a laundry Nazi. I took part of one afternoon to wash our clothes (I was washing for four people) since we were at the hotel for almost a week. The employee working that afternoon got upset because I separated our whites and darks and washed two loads instead of one. To her inquiry of why I had such a small first load, I responded that I did not want to wash our whites and darks together and she told me she "did not care, clothes were purely functional" and told me I should get together with others to wash. I tried to tell her that I was washing everything the four of us had in our backpacks in two loads but It didn't make a difference.

The second incident was at breakfast, I, being an early riser, got up and came to breakfast by myself the third morning. I ended up sharing a table with an older gentleman staying at the hotel. Then a couple of my friends came down after I had begun eating. This made the breakfast lady, who had been very pleasant the first couple of days, very irritated at us. She actually made me get up and move to eat at a table with my two friends. We tried to tell her we would not all fit because two more were coming but she still made us all cram at the one small table.

Neither of these things were major incidents but just kind of weird, considering we are not disruptive guest. We were always up early and out sightseeing and always in early and quiet and considerate of other guest.

I would recommend this hotel to others, especially ones on a budget or backpacking. However, I am undecided if I would stay here again upon returning to Paris.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The best feature of Hotel Marignan is its location five minutes from the Seine and Notre Dame. It is easy to find in a quiet, safe street. If you are looking for a clean, economical place to stay with no frills, this is the place for you. Our room was on the fourth floor (no elevator). There were five beds put into a room that should have only held four. However, we were rarely in the room so the cramped space was not a problem. We had our own water closet and shared a shower with the other rooms on the floor. Our room looked onto the courtyard so we had no street noise. There is no air conditioning, but, with the windows open, this was not a problem.

The staff was friendly and provided us with maps, helpful ticket information, and even looked up some other information for us. Their correspondence with us beforehand was prompt and clear. During our five-night stay, we only encountered one receptionist who wasn't as friendly. She worked the night staff and was not pleased when we tried to do laundry for five (she didn't think our loads were big enough). Breakfast was basic but filling. It consisted of baguettes, jelly nutella, fruit cups, OJ, tea, coffee, and cocoa. All things considered, this was a great value in a great location and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the courtyard to reduce street noise
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends