“Well located budget hotel”
Review of Hotel Marignan

Hotel Marignan
Ranked #442 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Australia
“Well located budget hotel”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We spent a week at Hotel Marignan. Its location was fantastic. The metro stop was so close. The staff were helpful. We loved that there was laundry facility as well as wi-fi. Breakfast being included meant that it was one less thing to worry about each morning. The stairs were quite narrow, but it wasn't a problem for us as we were on the first floor. If you plan to cook, be mindful that some of the kitchen facilities are quite old, but then again this wasn't meant to be Ritz. We enjoyed our stay. The manager was very kind and even gave our kids a book as a souvenir. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Hotel Marignan is probably the best low cost hotel in Paris with great staff, in one of the best locations, a five minute walk from Notre Dame, and so easy to get to from Gare du Nord. There were building works outside in the road during my stay which wasn't great being on the first floor. The breakfast is good and beats getting ripped off in a cafe. If I visit Paris again I'll definitely be looking into staying there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I first stayed here while studying abroad in college. I came back for a conference and stayed with a friend. No disappointment! Stay here if you want an authentic French experience. This is no chain hotel. Heck, it's more of a rooming house. My room both time had a shared bath. There are dorm style rooms that sleep 10 and rooms for 1 or 2. I've stayed in both types. If you're looking for the ritz, this isn't it. If you want to experience France, stay here you'll be glad you did. The room was a little stuffy in February, but the breakfast was just as good as the last time. There is only one room on the ground floor and no elevators. There are lots of spiral stairs though :-) close to everything. In the Latin quarter, every food you can imagine is within a few moments walk. Less than 5 minute walk to the seine and Norte dame. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Call if you need a ground floor room to reserve it specifically. Otherwise, pick your room by size a...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Helena, Montana
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This was perhaps my 7th or 8th stay at this family run hotel. As always a stay at the Marignan is consistent -- efficient check in, clean rooms, comfortable bedding, good breakfast, excellently located, English-friendly, kind staff. It is not a hotel with frills or for the fussy guest, but for the price and location it cannot be beat. Caution: as there is no elevator, this hotel is not for those who cannot navigate stairs.

Room Tip: It is much more attractive to have a street view room, but bring earplugs to shut out the noise if y...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Nice hotel in Saint Germain des-Pres region, one of the best places to stay in Paris. The cleaning service could be a little better. Because of this architecture the hotel doesn't have elevator - so if you intend to stay a lot of days, be aware of it. The breakfast is well served and the people at the reception are nice. I recommend this hotel for those who look for a low cost and well located in Paris.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and loved it. What a great location, so near to the most beautiful and interesting sites in Paris. The people working there are very helpful and kind. Made my stay even better. Thanks to everyone.
Best Ursula and Bob

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Hotel Marignon is situated in a good location, quiet street and has a staff with good English skills. The beds were comfortable, and the rooms clean and looked nice. If you don't mind an occasional sticky breakfast tray or table, the breakfast was fine considering what you normally get in Europe. Our room was at the end of the hall on the 1st floor (really the 2nd floor). I give the location because it is important not to get this room. The plumbing happens to be connected to an un-vented sanitary stack. What this means is that when a toilet above you is flushed, the gas pressure in the stack from the falling waste causes the floor traps (there are two) to gurgle and let sewage gas through into the bathroom. Eventually, the traps are "sucked" dry, allowing the sewage gas to freely enter the room. I had to keep pouring water into the floor drains to keep their seal. These rooms on this sanitary riser would be shut down by the health department in the US. I notified the manager but there was nothing he could do, nor would he give me another room after I requested. Since everything was booked, I had to stay.

One other issue for those on the US dollar. They will try to talk you into charging in US dollars instead of Euro's by telling you it is a better deal. It is not. All of my other charges around that date were translated at about $1.34 per Euro. As long as you use a credit card like Capital 1, that is the only charge you will see. Their rate is $1.40 per Euro. That cost me an additional $22. It irritates me because I believe they were not truthful in what they told me.

Room Tip: Good mattresses will make or break your stay!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vince A
Roland K, General Manager at Hotel Marignan, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Sir,

I would like to clarify some issues and be factual.

1) We did have a problem of with the drain.
This problem was solved the day you left. My service company was not able to solve the problem earlier, and we did apologize for that. Your technical explanation is not correct. I could not change you to another room, because the hotel was full.
You could have found a room at another hotel for a price 10 % to 25 % more expansive.

2) We did not talk you into being billed in US dollars. You had the choice, and clients often appreciate this option.
I will investigate this issue and we will reimburse you the 22 $ if you are correct.
We work with an American partner for billing in US dollars. This company works all over the world, and you are the first client who makes such a complaint.

You were on the European first floor.
Our breakfast is very good and included in the price, as is the wifi system, the washer/ dryer and the use of our kitchen.

I think that I did pay for your airport shuttle and gave you a breakfast tray in your room.
I was, like for all our clients, very available to give you all the touristic information that you asked us every day.