“Wonderful surprise”

Ranked #3 of 161 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Burlington, Canada
“Wonderful surprise”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights with my friend a few years ago and it was great. Since we booked several months ahead we discovered when we arrived that we had been bumped up from a dorm to a triple room (so we had 2 different roommates over the week one from Brazil and another, which was fun) with a private bathroom. It also had an extraordinary view of Sacre Coeur right from my bed! I can't speak to the other rooms, but our was wonderful. The terrace out back was gorgeous and always bustling with people. The stairs are narrow, but we were backpacking, so it wasn't a concern at all. The proximity to the basilica, metro and grocery store (tasty bread!) cannot be beat! I will definitely go back next time I am in Paris.

Room Tip: Facing the basilica gives you amazing views, especially when it's lit up at night.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Very cozy and clean hostel at the heart of Monmartre 2' from the metro station.
Great staff and really clean and cute rooms (2 bank beds on the terrace).
Monmartre is beautiful and very colourfull and warm.
Would definitely go there again.
p.s. Book at a mixed dorm ;)

George from Athens

Room Tip: Book at a mixed dorm on the upper side of the terrace.I was at the middle one.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Myself and two friends visited Le Village for 4 nights and we're very pleased with everything. Our room was clean, the staff were friendly and helpful, and even breakfast was great! The environment was always welcoming, with lots of other hostel goers mingling in the common areas. We loved the garden in the back. The elevator was quite small, which wasn't a problem for us, but if anyone brought a lot of luggage it could be tough. Having Sacre Coeur directly behind us was very cool and we were just a short walk away from the metro for any longer trips. I would highly recommend this hostel to everyone!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank onelove_adventure
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We arrived to the hostel at 3 PM. Elevator was not working. We had to go up 3 floors with all the lugagge, but ok, thats fine, we are very flexible. When coming back at 1 am in the morning from dinner with my husband and son (11 years old), we got trapped in the elevator for 50 minutes. Althought the sign says suitable for 3 people, 2 is the most suitable number. We almost ran out of breath. The poor guy did what he could and of course suggested for us to talk to the owner the other day. Which of course I did. His first reply when mentioning what happened WAS NOT " I am sorry, I apologize for that terrible moment"...he simply said " I legally do what Paris requires me to do, I have all paperwork in place, if you want a discount then just ask for one!". Or course my answer was, well yes, if you yourself have not mentioned it in the first place, I am requesting it. And he only gave us a discount of half of one of the 2 nights we spent here. Talk about not knowing how to treat tourists...not even that...PEOPLE!!! Rooms are ugly, dirty...DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE IN THIS BEAUTIFUAL CITY, DO NOT LET THEM RUIN YOUR EXPERIENCE (IT WAS OUR FIRST TIME IN PARIS!).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank arossello
Olivier H, Directeur général at Le Village Hostel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear,

I think you don't understand the apologize. I think we are not responsable when the elevator stop working. we do the best to repair this and call the guys who come to open the elevetor. the legal time is one hour for paris and they always try to come as soon as possible. Sure I give you a discount but I think you have a good stay because you be with us all your stay. You know if you don't like the hostel you be leaved when you want.
I think the problem with the elevator you don't have an objective opinion.
The futur guest can have a better ideas with all reviews.
Best Regards
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I really liked this hostel, especially for the price. We stayed four nights in a 3 mixed bedroom/ private bathroom. One night cost us one euro each and the other nights cost around 25 euros a person. The room was clean with a nice feel, beds were comfortable, it was spacious enough, and the bathroom was very nice and clean. My only complaint is that there was no shower head so the water sprayed everywhere and you had to continually press a button for the water to come out. This isn’t enough to deter me to not come back though. I also really like the fact that the Sacre Coeur is no more than 10 minutes away on foot and the nearest metro is around 3 minutes away. I thought the staff was really nice too.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aulucy216
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I booked at Le Village Hostel but had to cancel because of last minute changes. The hostel had the audacity to charge me one night even though I emailed them 48 hours in advance letting them know about my situation. Fortunately, I was able to get a refund after involving Hostels.com and my credit card company, but I feel lucky that I did not have to stay at this terrible place. This was a bad way to treat any prospective guests and I definitely know where I WON'T be staying the next time I visit Paris.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank GlobalCitizen25
Olivier H, Directeur général at Le Village Hostel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Bonjour,

For answering to your reviews, weinform you f you don't respect the policy cancellation we charge you for the first night. It's clear on Hostel.com. And if we charge you, It's caue you don't respect it. I remember the situation and Hostel.com contacte me and they are agree with me.
I inform you the rules is the same for every people. And please don't criticize our Hostel if you never come.

Best regards
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 February 2014

At first we where happy with the hostel, the room was nice.As our time went on in the hostel we realised how terrible the wifi was, which you could only use around the reception. We could not use the toilet in the room as there constantly was a pool of water on the floor around the toilet. There needs to be some serious hospitality training done on the staff's part! Extremely rude towards customers, I was very shocked by how we where treated. The woman in charge of breakfast also made me feel like I was unwelcome and could not go back for a second helping of cereal/tea etc, a terrible way to feel when you have pre paid for your stay already before hand, she also had no problem shouting at us in French as we got a second cup of tea too, which was not only highly rude but very embarrassing for a customer!!! I would not recommend this hostel to any one at all. If you are considering to stay here, keep looking! I work in the service industry and believe me they are very behind the average standard of hotels/ hostels when it comes to customer hospitality. It definitely dampened my time in Paris.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ann M
Olivier H, Directeur général at Le Village Hostel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Bonjour,

I need to answer to your review.
If you read the facilities before you mae a reservation you can see the wifi is free and only in the lobby. So we never said that the wifi working in the room.

For the breakfast I think the breakfast is finish and it's the reason we refuse you to serve a second time but you have free tea and coffee in the kitchen. The breakfast time is 7.30 to 9.30am.

And I remember you for the problem we have at night. But you forget to say me you get involved with the reception and guest without invit.