“Great Location and excellent customer service”
Review of Royal Phare Hotel

Royal Phare Hotel
Ranked #998 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great Location and excellent customer service”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We visited this hotel in mid October and we were very happily surprised with the great location. The metro stop was located just outside the front door of the hotel and the grocery store was right next store too. The Eiffel Tower was a 10 minute walk. The room was small but that is to be expected at most hotels in Paris. The bright spot about the room was the bathroom having modern sink, toilet and shower with enough room to breathe and move around in. The customer service was excellent. "Isnet" was the customer service person who checked us in and out. He was professional, friendly and very helpful with answering our questions. The morning we checked out Isnet went over and above all the normal customer service expectations. We were taking the metro to the Gare du Nord station to connect to the train the Charles de Galle airport. Isnet was getting off work just as we were leaving and was heading the same direction as us. He offered to show and guide us to our destination since we were not familiar with where we were going. Since I had sprained my ankle the day before, Isnet even pulled my roller bag for me too. I am very appreciative of his thoughtfulness and will definitely stay at the Royal Phare Hotel on our next visit to Paris.

2 Thank RCB9992013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
vrsar
Reviewed 17 November 2013

With a great location, the hotel and rooms were clean, and polite receptionist. Outside sounds are not heard because the room window was in the courtyard direction, opposite to the road, but the noise from other rooms and corridors were quite strong. Everything in the hotel is narrow (hall, lift, rooms, reception), but it did not bother us because the room is used only for sleep. The room has LCD TV with French channels. The hotel offers free WIFI that works very well and a breakfast. They do not accept American Express. Metro station is located within the hotel, 10 minutes walk from the Eiffel, Seine and the Invalides bus station for connection to CDG or Orly airports. Champs Elysees is located some 20 minutes away. For shorter stays is more then a solid hotel especially for the price in this part of Paris.

Room Tip: If you don`t want to hear any sound from the street, take a room facing Eiffel tower
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sasaha
San Luis Potosi, Mexico
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in October. Had a wonderful stay. However from the moment you walk through the door you will know you are in budget lodgings. If you are only planning on sleeping at the hotel then it should be fine otherwise don't expect a luxurious stay.

We had a superior double room. Not sure if it was actually superior. The room was small but I was fine with that, however there was no place to put our luggage except on the floor. No safe either. (Why can't small hotels invest a little in room safes for the security of the guests is beyond me). We had small carry on luggage. Mine spent the entire 5 days on the floor in the corner of the room. This truly is budgeting and for $150 per night! The room did have a small fridge so that is a huge plus for me. What gets me is that I spent 2 years planning for this trip and could not find a better place for $150 a night in this good of a location in Paris. Honestly I'm not sure if it exists. The bathroom is functional. There was a bidet which I fancied using but it had no water jets, so could not figure out how to use it.

My main complaint about the Royal Phare is the lack of an AC. It was a bit warm in early October in Paris. We had a room at the top (think it was the 7th floor) . It was easily 80 degrees in the room. That is tolerable to me, and the hotel provided a fan which I used, and we had the windows open and being so high up there was no street noise, but I could not help but thinking what would it be like in July at this hotel, or if I was on a lower floor? We did not stay in July so I cannot rate this hotel on a summer stay but considering the heat wave of 90-100 degree days that ran havock on Europe last summer I would find it unbearable to be on the 7th floor of this hotel in that kind of weather since all the heat in the hotel goes directly up to these top floors.

Other reviewers have already discussed the small elevator issue. Having just carry ons it was not a problem, however keep in mind that it is also very slow. If you forget something and have to go back to the room its going to be 5 slow minutes getting up and down and back on the street. Not fun if you are in a hurry.

I booked the room with breakfast but when we showed up they asked if we wanted it, I opted not to which I think is best. It really didnt look like much and besides I wanted to try some quiches and tarts from the local boulangeries .

Location is great, we had several beautiful picnic lunches and dinner on the Champs Du Mars grass. I do not think there is anything more romantic to do in Paris then to grab a bottle of wine and sit on the grass and watch the Eiffel tower sparkling at night. It is exactly what the locals do. I did wish that there were a few budget eateries in this area like in the Latin Quarter. There are none that I found other then a takeout Chinese place on the Rue Cler. The Carrefour store downstairs was excellent for picnic supplies, beer and wine but there was not a great deal of variety as far as salads or anything else more substantial that didn't need cooking. Lots of nice Tapas though which we made a meal out of. Everything was very reasonably priced in Carrefour, especially the wine from €4 and up for French Bordeaux's. There is carryout from the market stands on the Rue Cler, but they are also quite expensive.

Cannot stress how convenient it is to have a metro stop right outside the door. The hotel is also within walking distance of the Musee de l'armee and Rodin museum in one direction and the Champs Du Mars and Eiffel tower area in the other. It is a very very lovely area and not crowded at all. It's very relaxing to just stroll around here.

Front desk reception workers were very friendly and helpful. I was pleasantly surprised considering some of the negative reviews about them in that I had read in the past, but during our stay they were excellent. Wish we had had time to get to know them as they seemed genuinely friendly people.

All in all was a good memorable stay. The hotel is nothing great, but adding the pluses and the minuses it merits 4 stars out of 5. We might possibly stay here again if ever in Paris, but definitely not during the warmer months.

4 Thank RangMX
Raleigh
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Eiffel Tower around the corner. a good ace on the corner. Metro station with short trip to Louvre out front. Staff helpful with directions. Small room but with double bed, good size bathroom and clean, clean $124 US for one night.

4 Thank C G
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a basic but great hotel in the heart of the 7th arr in Paris, 700 meters from the Eiffel tower. The Ecoil Milataire Metro stop is right outside the door and a small cobblestoned side road about 200meters from the hotel has fantastic street cafes for late dinners and deliciuos gelato! The hotel had high speed wireless without disconnecting once and the rooms are small bu clean and everything is functional. If you are looking for a place to just lay down your head before you go go go again, this is the spot! Well priced for the are as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SuzieQ_SA
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

There are 2 things I like and 4 things I don't like about this hotel.
I like 1) the proximity of this hotel to the Eiffel Tower and nearby parks 2) good location with a Metro stop, grocery, cafes right in front, grocery, cafes right in front and Rue de Cler a hangou place

I don't like 1) the cleanliness of the hotel is doubtful as our room had old stained carpet, despite daily make-up service 2) basic service units like a phone did not work and took a long time to be fixed so I missed a business call
3) front desk service is crappy and I would not call it even a service, just manning 4) I don't mind and have been to small rooms but what we got is just a room too small for any comfort

It sounds like they are upgrading and re-carpeting some of the rooms which they ought to do for all.... and unless you're just looking for the most basic room to sleep in, consider the above.

• Stayed September 2013

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

New York
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The room was small, full size bed and a small bathroom. But in Europe, hotel rooms are small (it’s expected). Paid $600US dollars for 4 nights
I had room #122 and it had 1 window with a view of apartments and the Eiffel tower. It was beautiful to watch the light show of the Eiffel tower at night from your room (it starts from 8p-1a).
The elevator were so small, we could only fit 1 person and 1 luggage at a time and without luggage, 2person at a time.
Room service was good. Cleaned the room every day at around 11:45a, gave us clean towels and made our bed. The hotel is secured: you had to buzz in every time. They provided free wifi but you had to pay 5 euros for breakfast from 8am-930am but you had to tell them the night before that you wanted breakfast. One night I wasn’t feeling well and I had requested hot water so I can make tea at 10p and I was told I had to get it in the morning at breakfast time (its hot water, WTF!?)..
The hotel is in a great location, the metro is in front of the hotel. If you fly into Paris, you can grab the train from the airport and it leaves you in front of the hotel (grab a subway map) instead of taking a taxi. It’s a 25min train ride from the airport!
Place to check out:Tribeca (restaurant near the hotel) and the tour bus (hop on and hop off)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple