“The perfect Parisian neighborhood”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
La Maison de Claire
Ranked #60 of 135 Paris B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I really dont know how to start, our experience here was perfect. We arrived in the after noon on saturday and was met by Deider, Clarie's husband. showed us everything we needed to get to our room and where the locale restaurants were, in fact he made reservations for us at Le Bellisare, Which was an amazing experience in itself. But being jet-lagged, we ended up sleeping most of the evening. The next morning, after our perfect breakfast, Deider took us to the flea market that is every sunday near the house. He loves to go more than we did.. and we had a blast. Of course my wife bought the heaviest book known to man there, and I got to carry it back..He help us with our first purchases or metro tickets and showed us how to traverse the metro, which is extremely easy once you know how, and cheaper than a metro pass or taxis.
The following day was spent doing the tourist stuff, but Dieder had to leave for business and Claire was now in the house. Such a charming woman.. we had so many great conversations about what to do in Paris and where to eat.. She really made our trip that much better. We met people from all over staying with her, a great couple from England, couple from another part of France, and some ladies from Korea.. This is the type of place you need to go if you want to stay away from the touristy parts of Paris... This neighborhood has all the small boutique little shops and restaurants and you get to truly see Paris as Parisians live..We loved our stay with Claire and Dieder and look forward to seeing them again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clint e

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed in the Eugenie room at La Maison de Claire for 3 nights in July. Having researched hotels around Paris extensively, the room was very spacious, well decorated and offered great value for money. Similar to some of the more negative reviews, we found Claire's son, Quentin to be very personable and helpful. Claire and her husband on the other hand seemed very distant and cold. We felt like we had to tiptoe around them and were told off for causing too much spillage from bathtub since the room didn't have a proper shower. This could have been remedied if they'd just told us about this issue beforehand. Overall, it was a pleasant place to stay but I felt a bit like a child in a boarding house.

On a more positive note, the other guests were all very friendly and made for interesting breakfast table conversations.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CSW83
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Like many others on Tripadvisor, we found Maison de Claire with outstanding reviews so we decided to book with them for our trip to France. It is noteworthy that there was a guest who gave a poor review to this B&B and the content of his feedback is quite similar to what I went through.
First of all, the establishment was very nicely decorated. I have to give it to Claire for her good taste of furniture and color choices. We stayed at this place for 5 nights and booked 3 rooms (Perle, Aqua, and Eugenie).
A week before we arrived, I notified Claire if an early check-in (2pm) was possible as our flight arrived around noon. She replied positively. When we arrived at the location, we were greeted by Quentin who was very welcoming and personable. While introducing ourselves at the lobby, we could see what appears to be Claire at the breakfast table. I had to reach out and greet myself from the lobby. We thought it was odd that she didn't bother to come and welcome us. Was it the agreed early checking she didn't appreciate or perhaps we interrupted her lunch?
During the first day of our stay, only one room was booked as family was coming starting the second day. I noticed that the entry door to the breakfast room and main living area had a similar electronic key as the guest rooms and worked until 10pm. After that time, the door would not unlock, which made me think that we could occasionally access the living space during the allowed hours as we were told by Quentin that we could store a few drinks in the refrigerator. That wasn't the case... miscommunication.
The third morning, we were greeted coldly by Claire at our breakfast table. Again, we were wondering what seemed to be wrong, we didn't paid too much attention and we were off to our planned activities. That night, we didn't feel like eating at a restaurant so we bought some snacks and used the breakfast table around 8pm. We made sure that the door can be opened by our room key and also made sure we are not disrupting any activities. We quickly had a bite when suddenly Didier, out of nowhere, called me on my cell phone and started a series of rude complaints about us while on his way back from a business trip. Taken aback, we decided to discuss in person. This was my first contact with Didier. When he got back, he knocked on our door and first thing he asked was to clear our bill. It is true that after going back to the website and by paying attention to all of the words, it mentions about paying in full upon arrival. We missed this while booking the rooms. Couldn't this be avoided just by asking us when we checked in?
Didier went on to say we can't use any of the living areas as they are private. If that is the case, they need to disable the guest rooms keys to access that area. Problem solved. What I don't understand is that they are marketing their living spaces and the library prominently on their website, but yet, you have no access to them.
When Didier mentioned that the guests at the Amber room allegedly decided to leave them due to noisy and loud behavior from us the night before, I was really puzzled and upset. He admitted that the stairs doors slams automatically due to ineffective mechanism, but aside from that, I truly could not recall loud conversations or any other activities that would disrupt other guests. Could this be blamed on us if the door slams uncontrollably? Since we came back at 1am, it sounded to me that La Maison de Claire has a curfew policy. We made sure after this incident that we only use the elevator. Couldn't the door issue be communicated to us ahead of time?
Didier continues and complaint about not turning off the stairways and hallway lights. He is right that the top floor light was on the first night it was occupied. The kids probably forgot to turn it off. Don't we all forget to turn off a light every so often? Especially at someone else house like this B&B. Rather than complaining, couldn't this be told the very next morning? Either way, I personally made sure that all lights were off during the remainder of our stay. He continues and complaint about the mess we leave behind on the table after breakfast. Although I am certain we did not spill any large quantity of liquids, I wasn't sure what he was referring to until I asked him. He then mentioned that traces of jams and honey were found on the table. We had 3 kids with us, and I can certainly guess that they probably are the culprits. However, to complaints about some Jams, Honey and bread crumbs left behind by kids, I call this a little excessive. I almost wanted to buy a bottle of Mr. Clean and wipe the table after use for the remainder of our stay.
The final complaint was the fact that we allegedly were eating in the rooms. If Perrier and cookies are considered eating in the room, then we admit we had some.
Since Didier was traveling, all of this information must have come from Claire. Why didn't she approach me and discuss these alleged issues instead of waiting and put Didier in an awkward position?
When she missed replenishing shower gels and shampoos everyday, I approached her without reservations and solved the issue right away.
When she doesn't refill the bottle of water daily, I went and purchase our own water. Again, solved right away.
When we had an early start, I told her the night before not to make breakfast plan for us. I didn't hold back because it is the right thing to do.
When Quentin mentioned that the terrace can be used for breakfast on a nice morning, all 5 days were sunny and warm days, but Claire never proposed. I didn't complaint.
It is without saying that the last 3 days were odd as we could feel the tension. We were able to reconnect with Quentin the last day during breakfast. He was as charming as the first day and although it was a rough journey I still left a tip behind.
Reflecting back, I recommend the following tips for potential future guests at La Maison de Claire:
1) If kids are traveling with you, make sure they understand all of the boy scouts rules and keep it down at all times.
2) Don't step in the living areas outside of the breakfast hours or you will hear from Didier.
3) Turn off the hallway light and all lights you come across. If you don't and there are other guests staying across from you, they won't know which ones of you to blame.
4) Make sure you don't have consumables at eyesight in the room or they will think you are eating in the room.
5) After sunset, be sure to tip-toe when coming in or walking around in your room. You may be labeled noisy if you don't do so. You then need to face Didier.
6) If Claire is spaced out or gives you the cold shoulder, you did something wrong. You may want to ask her and if she doesn't tell you, ask Didier.
7) Use the stairs at your own risks after 9pm, unless they fix the doors.
8) Unless you rarely take showers, if you need additional shampoo & gels, make sure you ask as much as you can. It will not automatically refill (all 3 of our rooms).
9) Be safe and get your own bottle of water when coming back from your first day out.
10) When all fails, ask for Quentin.
This is my side of the story and I am sure reading this board, that la Maison de Claire will put its rebuttal. They will probably say that I don't have B&B experience, but to the contrary, I often stay at B&Bs across the U.S and abroad. The ones I stayed do not usually have such a strict rules set and they communicate well.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
21  Thank TravelHard2
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We arrived to a very wet and rainy Paris at the end of June. It was colder than we had expected, but Didier at the La Maison de Claire really warmed our hearts up. He is funny, very friendly and helpful, quite a good chef (he made homemade crepes for us for breakfast), an excellent tour guide (he took us on a free Paris night tour! It is one of the highlight for our Paris trip, he knows the history of the city and you can tell he is very passionate about his city, and it really helps that he is funny too! No boring tour with Didier!). We stayed in the Eugénie Room that is on the third floor. It is beautiful and Didier and Claire have very good taste in how to decorate and style their B&B. The room has no shower room but a bathtub on claw legs. There are a few panellings that block the view of the bathtub from the bedroom so that when someone is using the bathtub you can still stay in the bedroom instead of having to leave the bedroom. The room is very quiet and we felt at home when we were using it. The breakfast is of course very wonderful, and I enjoyed talking to Didier and also other guests at the B&B during breakfast. We also love the location of the B&B, it's not plagued with tourists, yet it's close enough and convenient to getting to the hot tourist spots. I love walking from the metro station back to the B&B and vice versa, you get a small taste of how normal Parisians live their lives. You will pass by several boulangeries with people coming in and buying their baguettes or pain au chocolat in the morning, a flower shop where someone is unloading flowers from a truck or watering the plants, cobbler/shoe maker shops, and on Saturday there is a fresh market just off the street you walk everyday to get to the B&B. There is also a very fascinating secondhand book market and flea market nearby, please don't miss them! We will definitely be back to see Didier and more of Claire I hope (she was pretty busy while we were there, so we didn't have much interaction with her) when we visit Paris again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank AnYue
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Our family of three stayed in two rooms in the last week of June. What a great respite after a week of biking and triple bunking in Loire Valley hotels. We echo all the fine comments written about this B&B. Claire is a designer and her signature is evident in the interior decorating. The teakwood accents are unique and soothing. Her husband, Didier, can provide an engaging wealth of information on French history and architecture for the those new to this city's allure, present and past. The couple provide helpful tips on local bistros, shops, galleries and transportation and enjoy the company of their guests. On their advice we visited both the local Saturday flea market and separate secondhand booksellars bazaar, a cultural and consumer experience worth the time. One can peruse the many stalls for kitsch and gems during the morning, after coffee and a light breakfast. It's a great place to find authentic French gifts for the clan and friends back home. As Didier says, don't be afraid to bargain.

The Montparnasse neighborhood has many friendly shops and bistros so one need not travel far to eat, drink and relax following a long day of navigating the major Parisian museums and sights. Bus and metro transport are a short walk. We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TLMSLC
Reviewed 30 June 2013

La Maison de Claire is a soothing home to unwind at after a long day of touring the sites in Paris. We booked two rooms (Eugenie and Aqua) in June 2013 for our family. The rooms are equipped with A/C, high speed internet, comfortable beds and blackout curtains! Claire, Didier and her son are wonderful hosts who are full of hospitality. Everyone was very helpful with suggestions on where to eat and the best way to get to the different destinations. Breakfast was delicious and consisted of croissants, eggs, marmalade, homemade crepes and more. The home is in a beautiful area of Paris--away from the hustle and bustle of the city but just a short metro or bus ride away. Bus stops are very close and the metro was a 5-10 minute walk (we would stop to window shop so it took us a little while longer!). Thank you so much for your hospitality!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bonjour_texas
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My family just returned from 4 nights stay at Maison de Claire. Our family of 5 from Malaysia booked 2 rooms on the same floor. We wanted to experience true Parisian hospitality - Claire and Didier didn't disappoint us! The rooms were extremely clean and spacious. Claire, Didier and their son, Quentin were very hospitable and gave us very useful and good advice on places to visit and eat. We took up their advice on restaurants to dine in and their recommendations were spot on. They even offered to book for us. Our highlight was an evening tour given by Didier in his car for our whole family - even though Didier had an 6am train to catch the next morning, he took time to take us around till past 10pm. He was most enthusiastic and informative in describing the various sites he took us too. Breakfast was great. There was a flea market on Sunday morning along the way to the Metro which made our walk all the more interesting. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a great place to stay in Paris.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family