“Not worth the money unless you get a rennovated room” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Campanile Paris 11 - Bastille

Campanile Paris 11 - Bastille
Ranked #527 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money unless you get a rennovated room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

A cheap, basic hotel for an overnight stay is all I needed, so I thought this place would fit the bill.

However, even basic hotels would have a better feeling than this place, as from the moment I walked in the room I was not impressed and was surprised it had so many good reviews on tripadvisor.

The room was tired - dirty/damp patches in the corners of the room, dated bathroom and furniture. The only saving grace was that the bed was clean and comfortable, and that is all we needed on this quick trip so I was ok.

However, The floor smelled of smoke as we came home at night - and I don't recall being asked if I wanted to be on a smoking floor. Thankfully the room was fine. But the overall damp/dank smell from being in the corner of the hotel (possibly not getting much light) was not the most pleasant.

I am not usually one to complain to the hotel to move rooms - there wasn't anything technically wrong with the room,  it just was not up to the standards I was expecting given the good reviews on tripadvisor. Given the hotel has only one photo of the room on their website, I should have been smarter and booked elsewhere. After looking at other guests photos when I got home (which I don't normally do) I realised all the good reviews are for rooms that are significantly more renovated than the one we had. How much of the hotel is like that I am not sure, but we were on the third floor in the corner, so if you get this room be sure to ask to be moved.

The service was good - pleasant and quick arrival and check in. The check out was more complicated, with one woman manning the counter at 10am on a Sunday morning (peak check out) so was looking quite frazzled and guests very annoyed. Location was also great, and we have stayed in the area a few times and can definitely recommend it for great restaurants & bars.

Overall, you get what you pay for and I know the room was quite cheap but I am so annoyed I could have had at least a better quality room in the hotel (and should have complained) or spent the extra £20 to stay at a boutique hotel nearby.

I would say unless you can be guaranteed to get a renovated room, this place is definitely not worth the money. There are thousands of hotels in Paris, and I am kicking myself I gave my money to this one.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bellapad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

Great value for money, we obviously arrived in time on Tuesday 6th for the lift to have been fixed (see review by Gordon2112).
We asked for a room over the courtyard which was quiet. The shower room was spotless, the room quite small but fine for two over a few nights.
We enjoyed the breakfast, but with the kettle in the room and the supermarket across the street, self catering would be feasible.
Very close to the Metro and bus stops and the local Marais and St Paul areas are great to explore, plenty of places to eat.
Staff were very helpful
Would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tiggersixty2
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

I stayed here for 7 nights in May. Location is fantastic, 3 metro stops close by, Bastille, Chemin Vert & Breguet-Sabin. Easy walking distance to Place des Vosges, Opera Bastille and the Promenade Plantée. There's a Franprix just across the street.

The bedroom itself is just what I expected in a chain hotel like Campanile, nothing to complain about. Bathroom is actually of good size, but I don't like the water saving shower head, it was less of a shower and more of a drizzle, enough to convince me never to install such things at home I'm afraid. And I've noticed the towels were not changed even after I put them on the floor - and it's dirty enough for me to know it's the same towel....I always travel with my own so it's not a big deal for me but still, bad housekeeping.

There are two lifts but during my entire stay only one was working so the wait can be long especially duiring peak hours in the morning.

So, great location, reasonable price, some maintenance issues.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jessica H
Petersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

We arrived on a busy Saturday afternoon to find the warm and stuffy hotel lobby crowded with people and their bags. Check-in was fairly slow as a result, though the staff were pleasant enough and multi-lingual. Only one of the two lifts was working during our stay, so there were considerable delays while the hotel was busy over the weeken (though this improved once into the Monday and Tuesday).

Our room on the top floor was extremely small, with barely enough room for the double bed which was pushed up against the wall along one side which did feel rather claustrophobic even by Parisien standards. Nevertheless the bed was very conducive to a good night's sleep.

The room was very clean and appeared to have been recently refurbished in line with Campanile's new standard branding (long overdue as the previous product was very tired and extremely basic). We had an LCD TV with approx 20 channels, none of which were English language (not that you come to Paris to watch TV) and a kettle with sachets of instant coffee (but no milk) provided. We bought croissants/pastries outside the hotel and had these with the coffee to save on the rather steep EUR9pp charge for breakfast each morning.

The bathroom was actually a reasonable size and had a good walk-in shower with excellent water pressure. The A/C (essential in Paris in the summer months) was individually controllable in the room and the soundprofing was very good with barely a noise from outside the room.

The hotel location is actually very good as it is remarkably close to several metro lines and within easy walking distance of the fabulous Marais district which is packed with more restaurants, cafes and quirky shops than you could possibly need in one visit to Paris. We would consider staying at this hotel again if the price were reasonable but would prefer somewhere with a little more room and local atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gordon2112
Northumberland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed here before and decided to return. You know what you get and it is value for money. Very easy for Metro connections from Gare du Nord and 5 minutes from Bastille metro with connections to main tourist sites. The rooms are quite small but bathrooms are excellent and spotlessly clean as was the bedroom. Main plus is that it is in a quiet area- often not easy to find in a city. Staff were pleasant and spoke English, and breakfast was reasonable, not much choice but fine.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and was given one at the rear overlooking the coutyard. 3 years ago I staye...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FergusNorthumberland
Warks.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

After searching through hundreds of hotels and reading reviews (many of which were off-putting) we decided to go for the Campanile. The reviews for this hotel were very good on the whole and accurate. The hotel is situated on a quiet street in a residential area. The room was very clean with comfortable beds and en-suite shower room (which is all we require). We had a family room which was spacious and the room also had a kettle and complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits, which is quite rare for European hotels. There is a small supermarket in the same street and a boulangerie in the next street. Public transport is very close (Metro and bus). We walked to the Notre Dame and River Seine in approximately 20 minutes. There is a small park nearby with a sand pit and slide for children. We would definitely stay there again - no complaints at all.

Room Tip: Didn't know about the rooms overlooking the courtyard with fountain until I read others' rev...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Lynda K
Barry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Visited Paris on 8th May 2012 for 3 nights & stayed here - underground car parking very good.
Location was good, rooms were clean & hotel within short walking distance of a choice of 2 metro stations & less than 10 minutes walk to the Bastille (even with my dodgy hip).
We had very warm weather during our stay but the air-con in the rooms diidn't work - when quieried receptionist (all staff were very nice) said 'it's still on winter setting & we can't change it 'cos it's on an automatic setting'.....!? Also, there were no safety deposit boxes/safe but most irritating was the very small room which was difficult to negotiate even for 2 people & no English channels on tv.
If you're not bothered about these niggles go for it....

Room Tip: Try to book a room away from the lift area.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends