“A good budget option” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,172 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Reading, United Kingdom
“A good budget option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

A clean basic room for a good price. Staff were friendly, luggage storage provided. I was able to check in early which was appreciated after an early Eurostar. It's basically right at the top of rue mouffetard, which is full of lovely food shops, restaurants and bars.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicola_Cooper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

If you are reading this then maybe the title attracted you. Do not get me wrong, this is a nice hotel. I arrived in Paris during the summer and did not have enough advance notice about this trip, so the travel department booked this hotel at the last minute because it was close to my office and also near alot of attractions (Effil Tower).
I arrived at 4pm and was checked in to my room with no issues. The person at the front desk was very friendly and gave me some advice of good restuarants and things to do around there. The room was very small with a queen bed in it, I barely had space for my bags. However, the room was very clean and neat. The hotel was generally very quite and I even wondered if I was the only guest. The shower was nice and hot which was appreciated.
The only issue I had was the fact that the hotel did not have airconditioning (I have to let you know that this is a period building) . This was the middle of July & Paris was very hot and i had trouble sleeping at night. Breakfast was amazing, one of the highlights of my day, they had a great spread fit for a king. After 2 nights my office was able to get me a room in a 4star hotel and I made the change because of the AC. When I was checking out there was a lady at the front desk, I said checking out please, she rummaged about behind the desk then said "pay this amount'' I said put it on the card on file, then she went ballistic...You have to pay for your stay. I stayed calm while she worked herself up, when she was done I again told her to put the charges on the credit card on file, obviously she did not understand me so someone else came and explained to her in French before she checked me out. Overall impression, If you are travelling on a frill and want to be in the center of Paris close to attractions, this might be the place for you. Will I stay here again? unfortunately no, I would rather pay extra and be comfortable.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor if I can remember. A room at the back facing another wall. No view. Ask fo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Landenberg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

We knew going in that this was a 2 star hotel in Paris, so we expected a small room without a lot of extras. However, our room was very clean and comfortable, the desk staff were helpful and friendly, and the breakfast was convenient and not too expensive (around 8 euros). The location was also great; in a nice area with plenty of local options for meals and only a 5 minute walk from the Metro. All in all, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Murph07
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Firstly I do not understand the bad reviews of this hotel, its cheap and you get what you pay for. Me and my friend, both of us 18 stayed here recently and didn't have any problems. Yes it's small but it's clean and that's the most important thing. Amazing location in the latin quarter right next to a metro station making it incredibly easy to get around. Room had air conditioning and wifi, although it took some asking to get the wifi sorted we got there in the end. The bathroom was also clean with a lovely shower, and the breakfast was your typical continental breakfast. I really can't recommend this hotel enough, its strengths are the friendly staff, lovely view, cleanliness and perfect location.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are great!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amelia P
Perth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Hotel was fairly old and run down. Our toilet didnt flush properly and at random times would suddenly start gurgling. the Shower was also dirty. Whilst a couple of staff were fairly friendly overall the service was very poor. We were ill advised on ways to get around Paris and also how long it would take to get to certain destinations. Whilst staying there another Australian couple had money stolen by the cleaning staff. We had booked a flight online (in french) with assistance of the staff and were advised by them that this had all gone through only to find out when we got to the airport, the flight had not been booked and we did not have a ticket only a print out of an estimate as such spent 17hours at the airport waiting for a new flight. The room was very VERY small so whilst it was considered a "double" you had to climb over the bed to get to the other if you had even a small amount of luggage. No tea/coffee facilities in room and overpriced for the standard. We had previously stayed at the Hilton in Amsterdam for the same price. This hotel should be a 1 or maybe stretching 2 star rating. Only good thing (though not brilliant) is that it was in the latin quarter a fairly nice area in Paris (i.e.. less crime - less pick pockets).

Room Tip: There arent any good rooms. If you pay for an upgrade you will get a juilet balcony which you cannot...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AstridSPerth

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Katy, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We were a bit weary at first with the outside not looking as we thought it would, with the nice pictures of the hotel and all. Nonetheless, the staff were extremely helpful and courteous since we arrived. We got a room with no AC, but immediately changed us to an even bigger room for the same price. They recommended places to visit and how to get to places easily. All the front desk staff were very helpful and that truly made the stay very pleasant. They were also attentive to our requests (Internet, irons, plugs for electronics, directions, taxis, etc). I would truly recommend this location to anyone! Many thanks Hotel de France!

Room Tip: If you don't like the room you got, let them know.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Felipe R
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

The hotel is very close to the Metro on Rue Monge which made life easier. Getting around was therefore fine, especially from the airport. The room was great for a 1 night stay but only just enough space for 2 suitcases. Helpful staff were on hand with suggestions about where to eat etc. The Latin Quarter around the hotel was surprisingly trendy/lively with lots of bars and cafes and resturants. There were also a couple of small park areas nearby with seating which was very pleasant.
The tiny lift would be a problem for a family group if located on higher floors such as 4 or higher as only just 2 adults would fit in it. We didn't have breakfast but it was cheap, approx 6 Euros, as there were plenty of cafes nearby. There were plenty of cafes open on the Sunday that we departed, even some ballroom dancing near the fountain in the square behind the hotel!!
There were also a couple of convenience stores located 4 minutes away from the hotel on Rue Monge. This main road did have a variety of returants, Thai, Ethiopian, Japanese, Moroccan. Very good for a small district I thought.
We would stay here again for a short city break as it was perfect for what we wanted.
We stayed here in March 2013.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple