“Great Hotel with a Lift”

Hotel du College de France
Ranked #200 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Wilmington, Delaware
“Great Hotel with a Lift”
Reviewed 16 October 2010

What a gem! Excellent hotel for the money. 115 Euros per night in September 2010 for a room with bath. Beautifully decorated, the rooms are modern and roomy by European standards. The bathroom was huge and had a tub with massage shower. We even had a small balcony that we were able to have breakfast on. A small, wall-mounted flat screen tv had a couple English-speaking stations. There was also a safe in the room. Internet access is available in the lobby at no additional cost. Breakfast was tasty (croissants, assortment of cheeses, freshly squeezed juice) but cost an extra 10 euro per person. You're better off to pick up something from a cafe for that price. Imagine the surprise at finding a budget hotel with a lift! It is very small - only one person with luggage can fit. But who cares...after carrying luggage up and down metro stairs, a lift is as precious as gold! The hotel is located in the Latin Quarter off St. Germain. About a three minute walk to the metro (Maubert Mutualite is the stop) or the bus lines. Walking distance to Pantheon and if you're feeling energetic, can walk to Notre Dame & St. Chapelle. Overall, great location. I will definitely return to Hotel du College.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank JSmit201

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I chose this hotel thanks to Tripavisor reviews, which were correct and my stay here for 8 nights in September 2010 was just wonderful. The price and location (5 minutes from the Notre Dame) are unbeatable. On top of that the room was a good size for a Parisian hotel and the hotel was very quiet, despite being a minute's walk from Blvd St. Germain. The beds were incredibly comfortable, the staff friendly and the 10 euro breakfast had a great selection. For these reasons I give it 5 stars. It was also near the bus stop and tube station and handy to the RER which goes to CDG airport.
I highly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank aussiemiss
Minnesota
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this past August while on vacation. We were a little apprehensive because the price was so reasonable for the location, but we really enjoyed our stay.

The hotel is located in the Latin District, but on a side street, so it's not noisy. I loved being able to open up the windows and enjoy the breeze. The rooms do not have air conditioning, but they do have ceiling fans and also provide room fans. The rooms are incredibly clean, as are the bathrooms. There is a little vanity desk with a mirror and chair which was great when you have 2 people getting ready in the morning.

The ONLY negative I have is that we did show up a day before our reservation and were given a room that looked into a concrete "courtyard" for one night. We would not have been as happy with our stay if we would have had to stay in that room. However, we asked to be moved to a different room for the rest of our stay and the staff kindly obliged.

I would definitely recommend a stay here and would also stay here again myself!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mom-of-2-lovebugs
Dana Point, California
Reviewed 9 October 2010

On our first visit to paris we stayed at the Hilton Arc D'Triomphe and although it was a lovely spacious suite with a view of the tower it seemed remote from the heart of the city. But at this hotel we were very much in the middle of it all. The room was kind of small but opening the windows onto the street below made you forget that. The hotel is on a side street and has double paned windows so at night it was very quiet. The bathroom was very accomidating for a small room. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant but one need not look very far for good food in Paris. The neighborhood is replete with cafes and restauraunts as well as pattiseries, boulingeries, fromageries, wine shops and charcuteries. Across the street from the hotel is "Au Pre Verre" which served us one of the better meals of the trip; Suckling Pig in a White Sauce. Absolutely outstanding!! The hotel staff are very helpful and kind, and the price was good as well. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christophe01
Newport South Wales
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I stayed here with a friend the weekend before Christmas. I'd chosen it on the basis of its wonderful location, its website (the photo of the little sitting area won me over), the 'late-rate' price and the fact that I could book on line. and other guests' reviews. And we were both delighted with the hotel and all aspects of our stay here. The staff were wonderful, in particular in extending our stay when we could not travel back to UK as planned because of Eurostar snow problems.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank LoveTravel072
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 7 October 2010

In planning this trip (along with my oldest female friend) I did lots of research on TA and elsewhere. Having both been separately to Paris before, we were ready to see some non-touristy quartiers, visit street markets near and far, and practice our limited French among real Parisions while keeping our headquarters "in the heart of it all ." Based on many great reviews, I selected Hotel du College. After spending seven nights there, I don't think I could be enticed to stay at a different hotel in the future.

The location is perfect for exploring all of Paris: close to metro and bus stops on Blvd. St. Germaine, rue des Ecoles, and surrounding streets; just blocks from the Seine and Luxembourg Gardens.

Jean Marc and his experienced staff provide a warm, safe, inviting atmosphere and treat every guest like family. While there, we met several travelers who have come back to this hotel year after year -- and we know why.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tripdreamer2
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 4 October 2010

After several disappointing stays at other Left Bank "budget" hotels, I was cautious about booking a room in Paris. After much thought and consideration of TripAdvisor reviews of the Hotel du College de France, I booked a stay for two nights -- and was pleasantly surprised!

We paid 110 Euros per night for a 5th floor double room with small balcony. The room and bathroom (with shower) are definitely small, but not as small as other budget rooms (namely compared to those in the Rick Steves-recommended hotels in the Rue Cler area... you know which ones I mean). The room was clean, comfortable and had two doors to the balcony, which contained a small table and two chairs. There was a closet with mirrored doors, and a desk with chair and stool. There was free and convenient Wi-Fi in the room, as well as a computer for internet access on the ground floor.

The carpet was a bit worn, but that is the only complaint I MIGHT have. Otherwise, the room and hotel overall were VERY clean. To top it off, the service was warm and friendly, something I have not experienced in other affordable hotels in Paris. (And I say this with the utmost respect for Parisians; I know they have hard exteriors, but are truly nice underneath.) Day reception, in particular, was exceptionally helpful and pleasant, as were the cleaning staff and the woman who worked the breakfast buffet.

The Hotel du College de France's Left Bank location puts it very near the Sorbonne, Luxembourg Gardens and Notre Dame, as well as making it an affordable alternative location to Right Bank walking distance visits to the Louvre and Rue Saint-Honore shopping. It's on a quiet street, but near to busy Blvd St-Germain. It is a hidden gem worthy of mention in guidebooks and on forums as an affordable Parisian hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple