“I wouldn't go back”

Ranked #1,285 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“I wouldn't go back”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Oh dear!! This is the first hotel I have given a 'terrible' rating to. We stayed in a twin room which was too smal, poorly lit and depressing and had stains on the carpet. The beds were uncomfortable and the room appeared unclean (though this may be because everything in the room was so rundown).

Plus points
There was an Indian woman who was a receptionist (I don't know her name) but she was lovely and very friendly and helpful.
The wifi connection was good and it was very close to Gare du Lyon.

Whilst checking out, we were told that the twin rooms hadn't been refurbished yet and this is why they were in such a poor condition. However the price the hotel charged for this room definitely didn't reflect this. I've stayed in Paris before and I know it is expensive but in terms of value for money, it was awful.

Room Tip: I'm not sure what to stay.....sorry
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank g a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
Cork , Ireland
Reviewed 8 April 2013

It's a 3-star hotel within easy walking distance of Gare du Lyon. This is what I needed as I had an early morning train. The room was small but as expected for a 3 star Hotel in Paris. Friendly Staff. Good choice of places to eat nearby. There was free WiFi but it was way too slow. No Holder in the Shower for the Shower Head - would have thought this is a basic requirement.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank GERFCork
Paris, France
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The hotel looks modest from outside but rather well maintained inside. The staff was warm and helpful (though needed update for grocery shopping info around -- supermarkets ARE open on Sunday and even Easter Monday). Wifi connection was excellent. Our room was small, but enough for 2 adults and 2 medium-size suitcases. Fair bed, sufficient desk space, and a wide range of TV channels. Clean and functional bathroom with hairdryer, which would have been better if a rug were available for wet feet. The shower could be too powerful for the drain, as water inevitably spilled out.

We spent the Easter Sunday there and heard no traffic noise from our street-side room. However, the door leaks let us hear other guests' talk in the small doorway, which did not annoy us but could be a problem for others.

Like some other hotels, only 1 receptionist took care of the lobby, and the hotel might be locked up for 5 or 10 minutes when the person is away.

We didn't take our breakfast there, and would suggest Tarmac (5 min away, corner of rue de Lyon/ Ledru-Rollin) for a decent brunch at a similar price.

Compared to other 3-star hotels in the area, this one is relatively closer to the public transport (Air France/ Gare de Lyon train and metro accesses/ bus stops), and, of course, the riverbank if one would like to take a walk.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank rlp42
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I had been looking for a reasonably priced hotel with the following conditions: cleanliness, early breakfast (to come in time to my meetings) and WLAN. Indeed, the price of the hotel was ok (for Paris), it was on the first view clean, A hot breakfast was offered according to Internet and to the hotel brochure at 6:00 am, and gratis WLAN was also offered according to Internet and to the hotel brochure.
My first bad experience in the hotel was that I had to give my key card to the reception everytime I left the hotel. This is inacceptable due to security reasons, since everyone could just say the room number and got the key card. Neither the name nor an identity card was normally asked for (with exceptions).
On Sunday morning I was late for breakfast, i.e. at 7 am, however, breakfast buffet was not ready yet since the responsible person had not shown up (as I was told). However, the friendly staff looked for the missing parts of the buffet I asked for. On the other days, the breakfast was there in time, however, there was no "hot" breakfast. I was later told at the reception that scrambled eggs and sausages were served not before 7:30 am - this was not mentioned in the hotel information and I had to pay the full price for breakfast.
One day, I got only one towel - and this one was dirty. After my complaints I got immediately some clean towels.
WLAN worked one day. After that, only the radio part worked, but there was no Internet behind. The friendly staff tried to get it repaired, however, it worked only some hours (when I was not in the hotel). I could prove that it was not my computer that caused the problem.
Although the staff was always friendly and helpful and the location close to gare de Lyon was good enough, I will never go back to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Michael_World_Travel

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Manchester
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Some reviews have put this hotel down but overall it's not bad at all. The negatives first: If you walk in off the street the rack rate is a staggering EUR220 a night so book in advance through Best Western and halve that price. The breakfast (EUR12 extra) is quite good but overpriced, EUR8 would be nearer the mark. The decor in my room was a bit tatty, a strange colour, and it could have done with a lick of paint and some new wallpaper. (No problem with cleanliness). Then there's a Big Brother style warning on the wall that the room is 'inventoried' every day and if anything is found missing your wallet will be EUR50 lighter. A little short on storage space and should feature a trouser press for business visitors. But that's it. The positives: I'd been booked by accident into a smoker and was shifted into a non-smoker that had a bed sufficiently comfortable that I didn't want to get out in the mornings. I didn't have many neighbours but noise disruption was minimal, also from the street outside, which is strange considering the proximity to the station. TV (but hardly any international channels) and air conditioning. Wi-fi available and a little business area near the lobby. The best aspect of the hotel is the staff. Unlike cae87 all six of the reception staff I talked to were friendly and helpful, and all spoke good English. I can speak French but didn't have to use it. Locality is very good for transport (Metro, RER, bus SNCF/TGV) and if your visit is for tourism purposes some sites are within walking distance. Overall, 4 out of 5 is about right. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Man1nManchester
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed last night 5 Nov. Chosen simply because of location to Gare de Lyon (couple of minutes and easy to find). Price is as expected but room was tiny and the window wouldn't close, oh and the walls are paper thin as some North American fellow guests decided to have a row and we had to hear it all. Those niggles aside, it's OK. Staff were polite, helpful but I wouldn't say friendly. Due to location I wouldn't rule out staying again.

• Stayed November 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I had to stay in a place close to Gare de Lyon as I was taking a train the next day. This seemed like one of the best options. I got there late at night and the front desk clerk was very helpful, everything was great and he even directed me to close places to eat as it was late and I was not sure everything was open.

But, next morning as check out was at 11, I just asked the front desk clerk, which in this case was a lady, if I could drop my bags later as my train departed late. She was very unpolite and rude, and I even asked in French, I was just asking and then she repeated me the check-out time, which I already new. So I left early into the city and came back to take a shower in my room before turning it back in. I went down 11 sharp to drop my bags, and she seemed like she was doing a big effort to save them for me.
I am glad that by 3 pm that I came back she was not there and it was a different clerk which was more polite and attentive.
If it was not for that incident I would have had a perfect stay.

Room was good, it had air conditioning, which is difficult to find in France in general I would say, bathroom was nice and clean, could be more spacious though. Room is small, but I guess is because it is located in and old building so it is difficult to adapt the rooms. It is a good hotel in order to spend the night, shower and relax for a little bit before adventuring again into the city.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo