“Meh..”

Ranked #680 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Meh..”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a short trip from 10th to 12th March 2014, in room 407.

Location
Good, few minutes walk from Gare de Nord station, do check directions carefully and find fastest walking route.

Entrance/Lobby
Decor is varied, very small reception area with a billiards/lounge area located adjacent. The staff were helpful enough and they spoke english which was a joy after experiencing french coldness on the eurostar. The lounge area is outdated, but it's something, most hotels in Paris lack space.

Lifts/route to room
The lift may have been designed by the french anorexic artistic type. Three people lift which would hardly fit my fat backside in. It is a relief however, because climbing 4 flights of stairs with baggage isn't my idea of a warm welcome. The decor in the passage/corridor area is also outdated, narrow and underlit.

Rooms
Meh .,,as the title suggests.

To start with the positives, it was clean with a cupboard with adequate storage/hanging space, a work desk in the corner and adequate power sockets. There was a full size mirror for me to practice my French on adjacent to the working desk.

It had French doors in the both the bedroom and the en-suite which were pleasant enough as the weather looked like it would hold up. I was proved wrong shortly. The view was onto the street and it was noisy even though it wasn’t the weekend, and it does get warm in the night, heat gains on the fourth floor and it was a south-facing room. The AC system is operational seasonally I believe, because I did have a fiddle, and nothing.

The en-suite was pleasant, clean and well maintained. The shower maintained a good pressure even on the 4th floor and was hot enough to wash the crepe residue out of my beard. The layout was DDA friendly. The toilets areas in the lounge area downstairs were also pleasant and for me, the highlight of the hotel.

I must bring to your attention the beds. I ordered a double bed specifically, because that’s the way I like it. This was achieved by pushing 2 single beds together. This was highly annoying and the beds kept shifting , leaving me drowning in the wedge in between. I smartly put some socks under the legs and leant one side against my suitcase, which helped, but do make sure the double room is ONE double bed.

Breakfast
The breakfast is served from 7am to 10am I believe, which is great for a late riser like myself. The breakfast room is located in the ex-cold storage areas as with the older buildings. Architecturally, it’s nice down there, low arched ceilings, original mortar-work and a nice layout with the ‘buffet’ set against one wall. The ‘buffet’ however consisted of 3 baskets with carbs, I mean white bread, corissants and some pastries which again were ‘meh’. What really toasted my croissant was the exceptionally slow conveyer-belt type toaster, this needs urgent replacement!
There did exist a fridge with chilled fresh orange and grapefruit juice, which I enjoyed much. I do not advise the breakfast here, I don’t remember how much was paid but it wasn’t worth it.

Room Service
The room was cleaned and well for that case. I had to leave the room for it to be cleaned and it wasn’t done on my return. This was promptly fixed and wasn’t too much hassle. The cleaners don’t speak English and apparently don’t like to knock. I’m pretty sure one of them got an eyeful, which left me feeling a little violated. This seemed a genuine mistake, and he did say sorry, repeatedly.

Overall/Conclusion
Toilet/bath areas are nice.
Location is convenient yet noisy.
Room hygiene is satisfactory, although other earlier reviews have reflected atrocities.
Mind your beds – two singles is not a double.
Buy your breakfast elsewhere.
Hotels in Paris are generally pricey and this may be the right choice at the right price.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Got a long layover in Paris so we decided to take a look at the city. We picked Le Rocroy from its location and are not disappointed. A 2 minute-walk to Gare du Nord station and we also happened to get on bus No.42 which its stop is not far from the hotel, down the church. This bus passes many tourist spots so it is very convenient for a limited time visitor.

The room is nice and clean, the breakfast is good, the staffs are helpful. Apart from the fire alarm incident in an early morning because some idiots smoke in a non-smoking room we had a pleasant stay here.

Valued for money!

The photo from previous reviews tend to not show the good sides of Le Rocroy so I have a few to share

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
rocroy, Directeur général at Hotel Rocroy, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your good commentaries. We are always happy to learn that our guests enjoyed their stay. It's good that you appreciated the location and the fact that you could take the bus to discover Paris (with a stop very closed to the hotel).
Our team do its best to take time and help our guests with all what they may need, it's our job !
We hope to see you again another time and thank you again for recommanding Le Rocroy Hotel.
Tiruppur, India
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Hi,

We stayed here during our Trip to paris from 11th and 12th Jan, 2014.

The rooms are small as per Paris general standard but the room and bathroom is very clean and sheet sets where changed everyday.

The Location is great just 5mins walk from Gare du Nord Station.

I can recommend for Good stay and Good rate. And as mentioned by many guests the Breakfast need to be improved with more items like Chicken, Egg, Curry etc., as mostly bread and pastries is available in buffet breakfast.

And near by Gare du Nord station we have couple of Indian Restaurants mainly south indian available. I will recomment this Hotel to others.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SelvakumarT
Dear Guest,

I thank you personnaly for your kind commentaries and for recommanding our property to other people who could hesitate.
We hope to see you again very soon.
Kind Regards.
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We had a great stay at the Rocroy. The room was clean and spacious with a nice view. The location is great for the Gare du Nord but also not far from the Sacre Coeur. Excellent value for money as well. Staff were helpful and polite.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephanie M
Dear Stephanie,

Thank you so much for your very good reviews about Le Rocroy.
Our teams (chambermaids, receptionnists) are always very pleased to feel that they did the job and we thank you for that.
Looking forward to welcoming you again,
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Won´t hold the renovation of the restaurant against them. This was just inconvenient but nothing more. Found the room rate of 130 € too high for a noisy small room. To be precise; nois from the street (people) even if I was on the 5th (top) floor. Noise also from the narrow hall, noise from the other rooms where you hear people talk, sneeze, fliush the toilet etc. Then the shower was a disaster, no pressure and water was not very hot. Will avoid this hotel in future.

Room Tip: Go top floor back suide of hotel (not on street side)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Telly2408
Dear Guest,

I'm really sorry that you did not appreciate your stay in our hotel. It seems that it was a particularly busy night, hopefuly it's not the case usualy.
We stay at your entire disposal.
Kind Regards.
Aline MYOTTE / General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

London
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This hotel is conveniently located if you travel on Eurostar - about 5 minute walk from Gare du Nord. Rooms are clean with a bit of a modern touch and most importantly a good size for Paris. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a reasonable priced hotel in a convenient location.
Don't get breakfast - hotel charges 15 euros. You can get a cheaper breakfast in one of the nearby cafes.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
rocroy, Directeur général at Hotel Rocroy, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Good morning,

I wanted to thank you personaly for your kind commentaries.
Our hotel is effectively very well located (5 mns walk from GARE DU NORD) and very easily accessible to all of the main monuments and touristic areas. You are able to walk to MONTMARTRE and the Sacré Cœur.
Our harty buffet breakfast is at the price of 12 €. It's served in our nice vaulted room in basement, typically Parisian. You can have bread, croissants, a variety of french "viennoiseries", butter, jam, fresh fruits, yoghurts, cheese, ham, coffee, a selection of teas, chocolate...

Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.
Aline MYOTTE
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Small hotel close to the Gare du Nord in a quiet street ( except for the church bells). Tiny elevator, staff spoke English, limited breakfast offering, over priced sundries for sale although free Internet, clean small rooms.

Room Tip: Ignor the fitness centre bit heavy thumb. High floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,

I wanted to thank you personaly for having taking your time to leave some commentaries on our TRIPADVISOR page.

It's right that our hotel has a perfect location in a very quiet and residential area, with a private school and a Church nearby (I'm sorry if the bell disturbed you, however I thought it was for our foreign guests something typical). As well as our lift, it's a typical Parisian one, they are all usually very little but sufficiant for welcoming our guests in good conditions.
I described our buffet breakfast in another reply, there is a lot of choice with fresh fruits, cheese, ham... and we provide our guests with fresh drinks and snacks at 2 € each and you can have also a good nespresso coffee at 2.50 € while using our free internet corner.
When you come back, please contact me directly, I will provide you with a bigger room, most of our rooms are large.
Hope to see you soon,