“This is exactly how I like my hotels...”

Hotel Eugene en Ville
Ranked #362 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“This is exactly how I like my hotels...”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

...full of character, modern facilities and staff who actually care.

My girlfriend and I stayed here this weekend and absolutely loved it. The staff are so attentive, informative and caring. They actually want to help you.

The room, I'm my opinion, is perfectly designed both in terms of style and substance.

A couple of small things I would point out to the owners.

1) put some hooks on back of doors to hang coats
2) put a fresh bottle of water every day in the room
3) investigate sewage problems as I woke up at 6am on the Sunday by a horrendous smell
4) put bathrobes in the rooms

Other than that the hotel is fantastic and I would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank djdando
virginie_baroukh, Directeur général at Hotel Eugene en Ville, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Sir,

All the team and myself thank you for your wonderful reviewt. We look forward to welcoming you to Eugene en Ville for your next stay in Paris.

I consider your comments and shall follow up on it personally.

Virginie Baroukh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel was fantastic. Only a 15 min walk from Gare du Nord (5mins in taxi) and a 2min walk to the closest tube station. Also a 5 minute walk to the beautiful Opera Garniere and Galleries La Fayette.

The recent refurb means the hotel is still crisp and clean with brand new furniture, fittings and carpets. There is also a breakfast room by day come wine bar by night just off reception, which we didn't go to but it did look nice.

The staff were all very friendly without being false, and very accommodating. Although check in is from 2pm we arrived just after 12.30 and were shown to our room without a problem. On check out we were also able to leave luggage in a locked luggage room that only staff had access to, with each bag tagged and numbered, making it very secure.

We had a superior room which had a little extra space than standard rooms, but with the large bed there wasn't much spare space. This is typical for hotels in Paris though, after all you won't spend much time in them.

The rooms are all quirky shapes which means many have open bathrooms/ shower rooms, with separate toilets that have a door. Which is fine for a couple but if travelling with a friend best to ask for a room with a separate bathroom. The rainfall shower had great pressure and the toiletries were lovely. Some reviews moan that there's not a soap dish, but if that's your biggest problem I think it says a lot! The towels were large and luxuriously fluffy.

Our bed, although a little firm, was unbelievable comfortable and huge with feather pillows and a duvet - not just sheets - which was needed in January. The room also had heating (and AC) and a small desk in a dressing room type area. The room also had two large ceiling to floor windows which looked in to a courtyard space and faced other hotel rooms, but let in lots of light. The room also had free wifi and a flat screen tv with various European and English channels.

We were very happy with our room and the hotel overall and will definitely be returning.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank by_golly
Msoso, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Eugene en Ville, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear by_golly,

First, for having written your comments in a perfect french, and secondly for having chosen our hotel Eugène En Ville for your stay in Paris.
We are glad to see that you appreciated in overall our property, and we are impatient to welcome you again at Eugène En Ville.

Sincerely yours,
The Eugène En Ville team
Newcastle, England
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Disclosure -I like the staff, everyone, all of them. I'm biased.

The first thing you notice are the smiles which leap off the staff faces on to yours. Someone must have gone around giving out happy pills. These are not pretense smiles, not your hotel glad faces. At the end of the stay I wanted to put the staff in my bags and take them home to be my neighbors.

Which is why I feel a traitor to say anything negative. It’s not the staff’s fault. I blame the interior decorator. We were in a “Superior” room that was a good size if the bed didn’t take 90 percent of the room. I’m not complaining about the bed —a party bed, room for six and a bottle of champagne. No, the bed is not the problem: you want to forget Paris and tour the bed covers.

The problem is the rest of the space is minimalist. Any less and the room would disappear. Here’s what you need to know to make your decision.

Checklist:
Staff - I’d trade my relatives for any of them so big plus to the staff. (For some of my relatives I'd take inmates from the local prison, just so you know.)
Cleanliness -Eat off the floor clean.
Breakfast -Typical buffet but it seemed better than your standard. Eggs made to order. Same staff with big grins and teeth as white as snow. I laughed for no reason. It felt a good way to start the day. Evening meals are cold plates only, but after a big lunch out this was welcomed relief for my stomach. Plus Plus Plus
Location -Easy steps to Metro, buses and many local restaurants of good quality, interesting “Passages” with unique shops. Big check mark.

Room -the sticky point. Here’s my guide for the Superior room:
a) One carry-on, one night —Excellent. 5-star
b) One carry-on, two nights —Great
c). One average suitcase, three nights —Very Good
d). One average suitcase and one carry-on and four or more nights —Good but not great as cramped for space to put stuff.

Take Note: We travel with everything, most we never wear but consider it noblesse oblige to take our clothes for their own vacation. A day at the beach and we hire a U-Haul van. If you pack light, then ignore the above.

We hope to return in the summer with less bulk and no coats. We’ll still carry more than enough to cloth the entire 9th Arrondisement. C'est la vie!

Suggestion to Hotel Management.
A few simple and inexpensive ways to improve the Superior room.
1. Put two hooks for coats on the wall opposite the toilet.
2. Replace the desk with similar size but with draws, or add a small chest next to the desk.
3. Mount shelves over the desk and bed.
4. Add another light in the room for the closet.

Give the staff a bonus.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room and alternative on the two sides of the hotel. Upgrade, if possible.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Carlo007
Miguel P, Assistant General Manager at Hotel Eugene en Ville, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Hi Carlo,
Thank you so much for your review. I just shared your comments with my team; it made us all smile (yet again!)
We strive to provide to our guests a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and we don't even need to encourage our guest to engage with guests as they are naturally sociable. This is the type of hospitality we offer and we'll make sure to keep it up in the future.
As for the design remarks, they were most definitely noted and passed onto our design team. They are studying different ways of how to increase storage room in the guest rooms to satisfy our guest's needs. We will act upon it as soon as possible, so hopefully the next time you visit us, you will have more room to save your belongings.
Along with the whole team, I look forward to welcoming you to Eugène in the near future and again, thank you for taking the time to write this awesome review!

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

What a fabulous little find this was. Recently decorated (the smell of the squeaky clean carpets lingers & the door signs had yet to fixed) the hotel is a perfect location for.. well everywhere really. You can walk if you're feeling energetic or hop on the metro which is a few strides from the front door.

The dark modern bedrooms are super compact but hey when you're in Paris you should be spending as little time as possible in your room and as much time exploring so this didn't bother us. Whilst I struggled to find somewhere to put my soap (no soap dish) the shower facilities are excellent and we had plenty of soft fluffy towels.

What makes this hotel however is the staff, not only are they efficient, professional and fluent tin English but they actually care about your stay. Paul, who can be found behind the bar, is genuinely affable and knowledgeable of this intoxicating city. All of his suggestions for places to eat and where to go were spot on.

I thought the new years day brunch excellent, if a little pricey but there was no limit as to what you can have. I would stay here again in a moment.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BranksomeBeachTeam
Hi Nazarella,

Thank you so much for your review! It is always motivating to read a review like yours and it's gratifing to learn that our guests are having a good time whilst staying at Eugène en Ville. I'm glad glad you enjoyed our central location as well as our guest rooms and amenities, and most importaantly our friendly and efficient personnel. We give a huge emphasis to our human capital and will continue to do so, as they provide an atmosphere that is unique to this hotel and so appreciated by our guests.
As for the soap dish, I apologize to you for the inconvenience. In all honesty, they have been ordered a few months ago, and will be delivered soon. The next time you stay in Paris, you will definitely find them in the shower.
Again thank you so much for taking the pime to writing this review. I wwill make sure to pass on te remarks and compliments to our staff, especially to Paul.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I took a last minute trip into Paris and ended up booking 3 nights at this hotel using the Hotel Tonight app. I was very pleasantly surprised at how nice it was! I was so close to everywhere I wanted to go. It was literally a 20 minute walk to the Marais and the Luvre, and 25 to the Champs Elysee and Sacred Heart Basillica. There's also a few metro stops in the vicinity and some great cafes, even a vegan juice shop! I was traveling solo and my room was the perfect room for me. I thought the dark decor was really hip and reminded me of the Ace Hotel in Manhattan. My room was spacious for Europe, though the fact that there was wall separating the bathroom could be a little weird if I was traveling with someone else. I really enjoyed the breakfast and room service was great. I loved the toiletries and the linens were so lush. My only gripe was that room services only goes til 11 and the menu, centered around the oyster bar downstairs, is limited and I wish there had been some kind of coffee maker/tea kettle in my room since the weather was cold and it would've been nice to make myself a warm beverage. I would absolutely stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with another person and don't want them to see all your business, definitel...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Hi Megan,

Thank you so much for your review! It makes us really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, here at Eugène en Ville. We are glad you fancied the design of our guest rooms and and common areas, and being an Ace Hotel fan myself I definitely take the analogy as a compliment!
We are indeed located in a very convient and central area of Paris, which makes it easier for our guests to walk around and visit all the little gems this city has to offer.
As for the room service, we are working on diversifying our menu and we will definitely keep in mind the possibility of extending our opening ours as well as finding alternatives in case one of our guests craves a late night treat.
Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and I, along with the whole team, I look forwward to seeing soon here chez Eugène.

Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a part if a fantastic winter vacation in Paris.
Stayed with my wife and another couple for 4 nights.
The hotel is brand new. Decorated uniquely with dark decors and dark atmosphere. To my taste, too dark...
The staff are very very friendly and helpful.
Rooms are tiny. Really tiny. But, as you expect from this new boutique hotel, the room is specially decorated and extremely clean.
The shower, with the huge soft shower head, causes you to stay there forever...
Beds are so comfortable!
Hotel location is perfect. Endless selection of nearby restaurants, cafés , pubs, shops.
Didn't take hotel breakfast, since we prefer the Parisian Boulanger... But, the breakfast looked rich and inviting.
Price of about 165 USD per night through Expedia (fly and hotel deal).
Great value for money.
Definitely recommend!
Eyal

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Miguel P, Assistant General Manager at Hotel Eugene en Ville, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Hi Eyal,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay. I'm glad that you liked our room design that was very well though out to be both visually pleasant and functional. Our double rooms range from 14 to 20 m2 (141 to 205 sq feet), which apparently felt to small for you. To address our guest's needs, we have superior and deluxe rooms available at Eugène en Ville, which are substantially larger. Next time you choose to stay with us, I would recommend you to upgrade to on of those, as you would have a much more spacious room that will still feature that spacious rain shower cabins that you liked so much or even a generous bathtub. Seeing that you felt that the décor is to dark, I would also recommend you to specity that you would like to stay in a beige room (half of our rooms are beige, the other half is a little darker).
I would also like to thank you for your compliments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel, as my housekeeping team strives to make the property spotless every single day.

I look forward to seeing you and your friends soon at Eugène.

Best regards,
Gederah, HaMerkaz, Israel
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

I want to start with the good points. The location is fantastic-centre of the city, less than a minute's walk from 2 metro stations, 10 minute walk to Gallery Laffayett and surrounded by restsurants and cafes.
The staff were lovely - professional and polite, pleasant and helpful.
The room i didnt like. Although brand new, clearly the room is designed for a single businessman in town for a night or two. For us as a couple, the room was very small, hard to get around without bumping into eachother. The closet was so small I had to pile 5 days-worth of clothes onto one very small, narrow shelf; the only shelf. There was no room to store the suitcase or place shoes.
The bathroom had no door and the shower door was clear, see-through glass. Personally, i like complete privacy when I shower. And there was no where to place the soap but on the floor !!
The bed was fantastic - very comfortable matress and luxurious linen.
The decor was morbid. All black: the walls, curtains and carpet. My husband loved it...

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maya L
Hi Maya,

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed our central location, as well as our frindly and attentive staff.
As for the decor, it is unfortunately extremely hard to pleae everyone, and as you just mentioned, your husband loved it. While we were developping the hotel, we wanted to create a dimmed down and more intimate ambiance, combined with the open bathrooms that give a little voyeur touch to it.
However, knowing that our guests have different needs and expectations, we do have rooms that are painted in a lighter beige and where the bathroom is seperated of the bedroom.
Next time you chose to stay with us, please specify that you would rather stay in one of those roms: you will still have the same amenities, same bed and same linens you loved so much.
I look forward to welcoming you soon at Eugène en Ville and, again, thank you so much for your review.