“Won't stay here again.”

Henri IV Rive Gauche Hotel
Ranked #459 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My friend and I booked this hotel from April 19 - 27.
She was staying from start to finish, I was heading back home on the 25th.
Overall I would not stay at this hotel again considering: our room was on the first floor, facing Rue Saint-Jacques. Despite the hotel saying rooms are sound proof, the traffic and even voices/conversations on the first floor could be heard fairly clearly. When we first checked in on the 19th, the lady at the front desk did not want to help us, we wanted to pay for the room up front. My friend and I were going to do 3 separate transactions, her and I split 4days with cash and the balance was going to be on credit, the lady said "no, I'm going on holiday tonight, speak to so-and-so in the morning, she will help you." This lead to more trouble.

The next day I did pay 2days in cash, and were told balance can be paid at check out which was fine, since my friend would be there the additional 2days once left.
The day came where I was leaving, I was packed up waiting in the room for my shuttle to the airport while my friend was out. I spoke a bit with the cleaning person, as he saw I was packed up and asked if we were checking out. Told him no, I'm leaving but my friend was there for 2more days.
Shortly after, a young man at the front desk phoned the room to advise my shuttle arrived, and asked are we checking out today. I told him no, I'm leaving today but my friend is there for 2more days, he said ok.
As I got to the lobby, the front desk man ran in front of me, blocking me from walking any further as I handed him the key (they hold the key at the front desk when you go out), and asked me again are we checking out. I had to repeat myself again no, that my friend is still staying 2 more nights. He asked who is paying for the room, I said she will be and she'll be back later that day. He just stood there looking at me like I was lying. My shuttle was waiting for me, so I couldn't spend more time nor should I of had to. If they were that skeptical they could of went to the room and saw my friends luggage was still there, with her cloths still hanging in the closet.
As I was heading to the airport I texted my friend to let her know they were asking questions and did not believe me. Shortly after she returned to the hotel to confirm she's not checking out for another 2days. The front desk man had already charged her credit card the full balance, which was not what we wanted. She was going to split the balance half with cash and half with credit. He didn't even give us the benefit of the doubt to wait for her to return that day.

I did love the neighbourhood, and would stay in the area again, but not at this hotel. There are plenty of other options.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank J E

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed seven nights at this quaint hotel in the heart of Paris. It's a great location -- just blocks from Notre Dame Cathredral, the Latin Quarter shops and bistros, and dozens of other attractions. Each morning the staff brought us delicious cafe au lait and croissants. When I travel to Paris again, I'd stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ckvandam
Reviewed 23 February 2014

July 2013 - I can't even begin to express how much I truly loved my stay at this hotel. From the moment I started the booking process, Sabrina was there to answer any and all questions and was extremely accommodating in regards to requests and billing. Everything I requested was fulfilled and more. The room had a Spectacular view of St Severin (as requested) and was in the most perfect of locations in The Latin Quarter!! Both restaurants, shops, metro, and places of interest (such as Notre Dame and Sainte-Chapelle) were within walking distance. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and plesant as well. Can't recommend this hotel enough!!!! You won't be disappointed, would stay here again!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of St Severin; 301 is wonderful!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JenyReg
Reviewed 23 November 2013

A 2 night stay in Paris to celebrate my birthday - good hotel in great location close to metro, shops, restaurants etc. Room small but we didn't spend much time there. Bathroom good with bath and shower. Good service - no surprises but just what we were looking for

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jenny M
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We first stayed in this boutique hotel in 2011 and returned because we enjoyed our first visit. And this 2nd stay didn't disappoint. The hotel remains a great find - very comfortable rooms in a great location. It's close to lots of restaurants,transport, cafes, shops and tourist attractions. Our room was modern, clean and comfortable. It wasn't a massive room but then it's pretty hard to find large hotel rooms in central Paris, unless you're willing to pay a small fortune. The windows were double glazed so the room was quiet. The staff were friendly enough and helpful. We chose not to have breakfast in the hotel, but ate delicious pastries at the nearby Paul pattiserie....better value for money imho.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank SydneyOz_Gal
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We loved this boutique and very 'Parisien' hotel and stayed for 4 nights. A central location was a priority on this trip to Paris for us, and this hotel was perfect.

It's only minutes away from the Seine, Notre Dame, Luxembourg Gardens, the Sorbonne and St Michel metro. It's particularly good for exploring the Left Bank.

Our room on the 5th floor was not huge (but typical for Paris); it was well furnished and cozy and had the most wonderful view to St Severins church across the street; we felt as if we could almost touch it, and we could see the Eiffel Tower in the distance.

The bed was comfortable, the room quiet; and although the bathroom was small, it was very modern, very clean and well-equipped. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel as we prefer to try different places each day.

The location is great for site-seeing and there's lots of bars, cafes and restaurants to choose from. We loved the seafood restaurant nearby at 33, rue Saint-Jacques called Bar A Huitres; just fantastic! Also close by and worth mentioning is the charming Le Petit Chatelet at 39 rue de la Bucherie; it's next door to the Shakespeare & Company antiquarian book shop; beautiful food and lovely service.

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful; they booked an airport shuttle for our early departure as taxis are unpredictable at that time of the day.

It's a charming little hotel with a lovely family feel to it; we loved it and will stay there again.

Danielle

Room Tip: Reserve a room with a view of St Severins church - just beautiful!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Danielle D
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I was staying recently for 4 nights in this hotel from 15-18 October. I booked 2 rooms for my 5 person family. Overall very happy and pleased with this hotel. My room is big and beautiful for 3 person. The location is excellent for tourist. Lots of restaurant and shopping. 3 mins walk to notre dame. Very near taxi stand. Very warm welcome from the receptionist and the bellboy. He helped me carried my 3 big luggages to my room and explain the room features. Nathalie the reception is a very charming and friendly person. She is very helpful too. Giving lots of directions and help me to book a shuttle to the airport. Very good hotel with parisien feeling.

Yunita