Hotel de Varenne
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$206
Official Site
US$678
US$650
  • Room Service
Hotel Eiffel Seine(Paris)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$633
US$542
  • Restaurant
1,369 results
All reviewsrodin museumjean marceiffel towerfruit standquiet streetwithin walking distancesmall courtyardsame blocksmall refrigeratorperfect locationsuperior roomcroissantsaround the cornercontinental breakfastthe entire staffsafe areamajor sites
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We had a very good experience in this hotel and we would recommend it to everybody looking for a small and pleasant place to stay in Paris.
Our room was perfectly clean and of good size.
The staff is very polite and friendly, they can give you all the informations tourists need.
We appreciated the breakfast taken in our room at no extra charge.
Very good value and good service.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dunlopgibraltar
Reviewed 13 April 2010

To begin, this property is a wonderful value if you're planning on trying to stay in Paris at an affordable rate. We paid roughly $200 USD per night and stayed here for two nights.

The rooms are clean. The bathrooms are nice. The staff are very nice, if not particularly chatty (and all speak English). I feel a little bad saying that's a perk but it is- my French is just barely good enough to communicate basic needs to a hotel.

A word about the breakfast: It's a little underwhelming. The baguettes are fine. The pastries are so-so. Consider going to the patisserie next door. However, if you're a coffee-drinking American like my girfriend and I are (read: you need a good amount of coffee), overall I think the 10 euros is actually a pretty good deal. You get a pot with four cups of coffee. Anywhere else you'll pay 4.50 euro per cup. So it's actually a good value as far as the coffee is concerned. I think the hotel should consider at least adding some fresh fruit to the breakfast. I'm sure this would be a relatively marginal cost.

Overall the room was fine, if a little tired. A word of note: the double bed room with the "bath" is not a standard bath (at least as I know them as an American). It's a bathtub with a shower head thing on a hose. In other words you must sit in the tub and wash yourself. My girfriend felt it was a bit like being in a Degas painting. For two nights it was fine but if you have an aversion to this I would consider getting a room with a shower.

The location is excellent! Don't expect to find any cheap food nearby. But make sure to head to Ampelos (across the street and a couple blocks to the left upon exiting) if you like wine! The neighborhood is wonderful. Head to the other side of Invalides and down Rue St. Dominique for a plethora of great restaurants.

While we were there, the hotel was doing a lot of painting. I didn't really mind it that much, but the signage wasn't very good. Twice I got paint on myself (fortunately not on my clothes) before I had an opportunity to read or be told about the wet paint. If you are a claustrophobe, beware of the elevator. It is the smallest elevator ever.!You can scarcely fit one person plus their luggage in it.

The internet is free but very slow.

Overally, good stay. Great room rate. Friendly staff. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AlphaFlyer
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I do not understand previous reviewer we had a very good time at Hotel de Varenne.
Our room was perfectly clean and very comfortable including the bed.
Soap and shampoo smell really good and are sufficiently provided.
We appreciated particularly the breakfast served in the charming little garden outside the garden.
The staff is polite and smilling, we did not experience any problem with the service.
We can say it was perfectly matching our expectations.
The value is excellent : only 139 Euro for a double room with bath.
We warmly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sam37Boston
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Not a very pleasant place to stay, staff mainly frosty, no personal touches such as hand saop or shampoo supplied in our room, just some badly smelling washing liquid in an "unsqueezable " squeezie bottle. Previous guest rubbish still in bin on our arrival, but otherwise hotel reasonably clean, though bed well past its use-by date. Breakfast poor for the cost, but hotel well located.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BournemouthBenge
varenne75, owner at Hotel de Varenne, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2010

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I know you had a bad start when you arrived in your room as the bin in the bathroom was not emptied. This is definitely not a pleasant experience and I would like to apologize for this matter, but you have to understand that it can happen everywhere. Please note that your room was perfectly cleaned when you arrived.
You say you had no soap and no shampoo in your room and badly smelling. I checked personally when you told me and have to say both soap and shampoo where fully filled. We decided to use bottled soap and shampoo to preserve environment and we chose the brand "LANVIN" as it is one of the most famous french perfume brand. I am sorry you did not appreciate it.
Concerning the bed, the hotel is fully equipped with high quality "TRECA" bedding and they all have been changed in 2007. Hotels normally change their bedding every 7 years, we do every 5 years. I am sorry again, that this kind of comfort did not meet your expectations.
Anyway don't forget to mention I gave you a significative discount and offered you the breakfast when you checked out as you were not satisfied with your stay.
Please accept again our excuses for all the inconvenience experienced during your stay in our hotel.
I hope to have the chance to be able to welcoming you again and to do our best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
Jean-Marc POMMIER
Owner and Manager

Reviewed 3 March 2010

Stayed in the hotel over Valentines weekend. The staff were very helpful the hotel was very clean. The rooms were typical Paris sized "cosy" but ideal as we didnt spend much time in the hotel. Good location with a RER link to airport with only 1 change. Walking distance to the main attractions.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple