“Disappointing”

Grand Hotel de Paris
Ranked #1,628 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Now Im not one to complain re hotels esp as i knew this was a budget hotel and Paris is very expensive....
However after taking forever to find the hotel we walked in to be greeted by a surley evening clerk who told us off for disrupting the mat on the entrance with our cases! we apologised but he didnt so much as crack a smile...its rug!? then we went to our room No 57 and it was TINY! now luckily myself and my partner are not very big so it was manageable but i think if anyone overweight or slightly bigger stayed there they would have found it very uncomfortable...there was no room to change or put your cases/bags, a little corner wardrobe with 3 hangers so the majority of our clothes had to stay in our case tucked int the side of the room where possible. The bathroom was the smallest and the door was an old fashioned slidy type door which didnt lock and looked like it was ready to fall off! the close proximity from the bed to the bathroom ment you could hear everything.....overall very disappointing and the decor was so old fashioned but i guess to lay your head a couple nights was ok....will defo think twice when bbooking for paris though...

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room as we did and had no noise problems
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I just finished three days at this hotel right next to gare de l'est tran station. The hotel is two star - you get what you pay for. The room and hotel was small with old fittings and furnishings. The room smelt of damp, but it was clean and made up everyday. The hotel staff were very friendly even as I made my best effort to destroy the French language.
It is a cheap hotel close to the train station.

Room Tip: I had an inside room facing an odd court yard - I would imagine the outside rooms are very noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Ok, so it's not the Ritz....

My wife and I stayed here for three nights in April. It's a cheap and cheerful hotel, but it's clean and the day staff are very friendly and helpful, all the staff was very helpful although the evening clerk was a little surly.

Hotel prices in Paris are very high and although this hotel is outside of the main Tourist area, it is close to the Gare de L'Est and Gare du Nord so has excellent access to all over Paris using the Metro or RER and for the more energetic walking distance to the main attarctions of Paris.

The room was clean, tidy and the bed very comfortable. The en suite although small did have a very good shower and hot water was always available. The maid service was daily and the room was always clean with fresh towels and bedding every day. The maid, altough could not speak English was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The breakfast room was clean and tidy, the staff attentive and although simple, a good continental breakfast was served daily without fuss...

The room decor are a little jaded and you do need to pay extra for internet access but not excessive.

I work all over the world and have paid far more for far worse service and quality from higher quality brands,.

I did see someone complain that the noise form the street was excessive when they had the windows open, all I can say is "welcome to Paris and you wouldn't want to stay any further in to the city"

I did witness an American gentleman complaining that his bed was sloping slightly, but seeing as the buildings in Paris are a few hundred years old I think this could be overlooked and maybe he should be thinking about staying in one of the 'International' brands a little higher up market.

I can honestly say I've had far worse service from far higher priced hotels.....

Room Tip: If you want high quality then you need to pay more and stay at a high priced Hotel in Paris center...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mistrusting
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have just come back from Paris, where I stayed for 4 nights at the Grand Hotel. I was allocated room 46 upon arrival by a receptionist.
Having arrived to the hotel around midnight, I did not pay much attention to the state of the room. But essentials were there: bed linen was fresh, room looked clean, shower was in working condition and toilet was flashing - all necessary prerequisites for a decent stay. So Initial impression was not too bad.
With the building located very close to Gare de L’est and facing Boulevard de Strasbourg, do not expect quiet ambience. The chances are high that your night sleep could be interrupted by honking cars, shouts of pedestrians and general noise of traffic. If you are noise sensitive, bring ear plugs to get proper rest.
Next day I left early in the morning and returned around 7 pm. Feeling tired after rather long day, I decided to stay in that night. I had the lights on and was checking something on my phone when a saw a tiny bug crawling across the screen of the phone. Having thought that it is just a random insect, I got rid of it. To my surprise few minutes later I saw another one and then another one. I looked around and then my glance fell on the bed board. I gasped as it was covered by white little bugs. Additionally grey bugs were crawling along the bed. Having investigated grey bugs further, I realised that grey bugs were actually white bugs who recently had dinner.
I wiped the board bed, but the march of bugs continued. I went down to the reception and asked to move me to another room. The receptionist suggested moving me to the single room and advised to talk to his colleague in the morning.
I was moved to room 16. I carefully examined the bed and bed board and having discovered any unwelcomed creatures, fell asleep. Room 16 overlooks a court yard of some kind and is quite.
In the morning I told about the incident to another receptionist. She said that she was informed by the colleague about the incident and sent the cleaner to check the bed. The cleaner, according to receptionist, saw no bugs… oh well. Nevertheless, I was moved to room 62, where I stayed till yesterday.
Would I choose the hotel again? It is located very close to Gare de Nord and I could walk anywhere to central parts of Paris from the hotel within 30 minutes or so. But I am not sure whether I will stay there again. The area is not very safe and bug incident has put me off in a way.
Yet, it is cheap and well located with friendly staff- the choice is yours.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the court yard are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel for two nights and don't think we will stay here again. We traveled by euro star and one advantage is that the hotel is approximately a 10 minute walk from Gare de Nord International station. However, after travelling from Birmingham to Paris by train the last thing you want to hear upon arrival is that the lift is broken and that you have been allocated a room on the 6th floor. The room was very very basic and small with mold around the bathroom sealant. Fortunately we only used the hotel to shower and sleep so we were only actually in the building for about sixteen hours. On the plus side there's a nice pub next door that is reasonably priced and there is easy access to Gare de l'est and Saint Denis Metro stations. We booked through Superbreaks and feel that this was far from a super hotel. If like us you just wanted somewhere to wash and get your head down for the night then this place is OK but my advice would be to spend a few extra pounds and stay somewhere else. Breakfast was nothing to write home about which was unfortunate because in an expensive city like Paris it's good to fill your bellies in order to avoid paying £30 for a decent lunch for two.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RonaldR397
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed here for four nights. The first night we were in room 26. The bathroom had a leak and the pillows seemed to be filled with hard lumps of cotton wool. It was awful. We complained and were quickly moved to room 63. This was bigger and slightly better but overall the hotel is in desperate need of modernization. The bedding is exhausted. the beds are very hard and they are still using sheets and blankets, not duvets. The decor is shabby and horrible. The staff were very nice and the breakfast was good even though it was exactly the same every day. If you are considering staying here, my advice is, don't.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LouiseKT8
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This review is not based on an actual stay there but we had a booking and were unable to make it. We contacted them a few days in advance when we got horrible news as a death in our family and we had to fly back to the states. They were not understanding or willing to work with us on a credit or to book for a later time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family