“A good hotel at the heart of things” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Liege Strasbourg
Ranked #1,588 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A good hotel at the heart of things”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is an excellent base for the majority of people who have realistic expectations about what budget hotels can offer. It's clean, friendly and is close to the heart of the city - you'll be too busy taking in the sights, sounds and smells of Paris to worry why so many reviewers have done the hotel a disservice. There are no bed bugs! The bedding was clean and fresh. The bathroom was also very clean with a spacious shower. Some reviews have hinted that the hotel is located in an area populated by "undesirables". It's perfectly safe, with no signs of any lingering menace anywhere. Reading between the lines, the presence of so many non white faces - 90% of the nearby businesses are 'black' orientated - must have made many visitors come over all Eugene Terreblanche. If you're expecting a gated community with a Maurice Chevalier soundtrack, think again - Paris prides itself on its multicultural mix.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ross C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Czech first
Edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Very basic hotel being refurbished , it has got dated look.
On the positive side the room was clean and very warm. Location was great and we did fill safe in there.
Breakfast was small, not nice coffee.
The reception people were very friendly and let us in the room although it was morning and they check in time did start at 2pm.
You get what you pay for I guess.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank Iwona F

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

My employer's travel office booked the room for me based on price and location to my meeting. Just B
before leaving on my business trip, i checked this site and learned of the risk for bed-bugs. That gave a lot of stress! I educated myself about bed-bugs, and when I arrived, I checked the room. Things seemed OK for the most part. Either due to the renovation underway, or the eariler bed-bug problem, or both, the baseboard had been removed, bed's headboard top strip was loose, matresses seemed newish, etc. Continuing my inspection, I finally found some tell-tale signs of bed-bugs, around a factory sticker on the foot of the lower matress of my bed...looked just like pictured I'd seen on the web with black spots and bed-bug casings. Pulling the edge of the sticker back and shining a flashlight, could see the evidence of body casings up to several mms in length. But nothing seemed to be alive. I called reception and they expressed real concern, offered me a new room, and admitted that the place had been treated for bed-bugs a few months ago. I declined the new room, since I didn't want to have to inspect all over again. Instead I spread some disposable sheets and pillow cases on the bed that I had brought with. It was cold in Paris, so I slept in socks, long-johns and T-shirt just in case. In the morning, no bed-bug bites!

Overall I would not return here for a business trip. The price is low, but still too high for what one gets. General areas are filthy, probably due in part to the renovation traffic. Walls were thin, and somebody partying in the room next door made sleep impossible until they quieted down. Scaffolding outside window has workers chipping away at the exterior already in the morning. The breakfast is just a croissant, a bagette, a jam, pat of butter and coffee. No juice or even water is offered, but a vending machine in the dining area offers them for 2 euros.

One plus is that the WLAN, although requiring seperate payment, worked adequately and reliably for me. Some hotels offering free WLAN end up with connections so overloaded that it is hardly worth using.

In short...maybe the bed-bug problem has been taken care of, but I'll let my company pay for a better hotel next time. But Paris hotels are so expensive in general, that I would never consider coming to this city on my own dime!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Wade K
brisbane
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

After reading the review, I will be factual.
Good
1. location as the Gare Du Nord metro was very close - so handy. 2. Catered for a family of 5. 3. Had an ensuite. 4. Continental breaky included. 5. had a small elevator. 6. About the only thing we could afford to stay in under $700 for 3 nights when everything else was over $2000AUD 7. Clean towels. 8. Room was lovely and warm. 9. No Bed bugs (we pulled off every sheet and looked as we know what we were looking for - been there done that)
Not so good.
1. Scaffolding head to toe so not a nice arrival look for unsuspecting Aussie people.
2. Felt like a dodgy area... but then Kingscross Sydney is as well, so is Paddington London.
3. Reception did not have a good grasp of English - but then we should have learned some French
4. Reception area stunk of over bleached dirt
5. Could not tell the colour of the stairs carpet - and the stench made you hold your nose.
6. No insulation in the bedroom so we could hear the family next door word for word. You can even hear them turn over in their sleep....no jokes.
7. Room not serviced so get used to making your bed
8. Staff did not smile once .... no pride, no atmosphere ... do they really want to be there??
9. Bathroom new but not clean. Mould everywhere. They did not clean our bathroom although did empty the bins and give fresh towels.
10. We were in a room for 5 - the 3 single beds were pushed together ... ha ha try making them in the morning.

Look. My big tip is, if you want to save money stay. Imagine you are a back packer staying at a back pack place in some third world country and you will feel like you are in a palace.

Room Tip: Check the beds for bedbugs as Trip advisor blogs say that they are there. We stripped each bed and...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank WelshinOZ
Sao Paulo, Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

good localization (near from Gare du Nord and also from Gare d'Est), but the room does not answer expectations... we did not have a towel available!!! Also we did not have air conditioning (and it was very hot that day). Breakfast was not soo good, very few options, and coffe and milk were cold. Few options of bread (1, if I can well remember)... I have been in Picpus hotel, and the price was the same but the hotel was much better!
We wanted to pay for internet (one hour) and they did not have this available - we had to go to another place to use internet.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RosaSaoPaulo_Brazil
Little Rock, Arkansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Please read the reviews before booking this hotel!
The worst experience ever! Very dirty and is situated in a very bad area that we were afraid to walk around.
Service was very poor and breakfast was the same every day! We simply hated it .
Absolutely overpriced for the sevice!
Terrible experince.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank slavkolesya
Cardiff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

After all the bad reviews I actually thought the hotel was fine as a cheap, budget hotel - it felt safe, was clean, staff were friendly enough and everything in my room worked. Breakfast was fairly avergae for a low budget French hotel in my experience - no worse, no better than the far superior hotel that I'd just checked out from in Eastern France(although the dining area was more dismal!).

But the price I paid for a single occupancy room (125 Euros) meant the hotel was poor value for money. Location was great for me having an enforced overnight stay in between train journeys as its a few minutes walk to both Gare D'Est (where I arrived) and Gare du Nord (where I departed). I can see that the area could be seen as quite scary but I had a fabuilous night wandering (alone) in the nearby streets on mid-summer night listening to music spilling out onto the paverments from all corners of the world. We had Bangladeshi heavy metal, Afro-cuban beats, a Manic Street Preachers sound-alike, a rapper from Mauritiaus, pan pipes from South America and Irish fiddle playing - all within a square kilometre of the hotel. Everyone I encountered during this after-dinner stroll was really friendly - the local residents obviously know how to enjpy themselves on Paris' Fete de la Musique!

I'm glad I hadn't read the reviews recounting muggings in the areas as I doubt I would have ventured out at night and would have missed all this amazing, quite unique range of diversity and musical entertainment.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business