“great little hotel”

Hotel Liege Strasbourg
Ranked #1,562 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Me and my family stayed at the Liege Strasbourg for a long weekend before our main holiday. The hotel is ideally situated close to the Gare du Nord and Gare su L'est train stations. The area is best described as ethnic, yes there are large groups of people who hang around, particularly on a Saturday night, but we never felt threatened by them.
The hotel itself is 2* nothing more, nothing less. We stayed in the quad room, the room was a decent enough size for all 5 of us, clean and with 2 large french doors leading onto small balconies, the only negative is the weekend we stayed, Paris hit a record 42c!!!! The hotel isn't designed to cope with these temperatures, no ceiling fans, aircon or air for that matter made the nights unbearable, but we coped. The hotel is going through an update but it is progressing at a typically euro' rate, a bit whenever, where ever.
The breakfast room, unfortunately was closed for referb' which meant a treck down some ancient stone steps into what felt like a dungeon! Incredibly small room, packed with sweaty bodies, no windows, no fans, if it was 42c outside, you can imagine what it was like down there.
The area leaves little to the imagination but literally 5 mins walk away there are resturants to suit every taste and budget, also there is a bike hire bay to the back of the hotel, which is fantastic at night, the bikes are lined up for you to hire for as long as you want.
The hotel also benefits from being on a great commuter route, be it the metro (which we didn't use because I don't like taking the kids down there) or buses (these are the best way to see Paris) Do your homework before you arrive, if arriving like we did, by plane, purchase a Paris Visite Pass from the airport. This gets you on all the trains, buses, metro and more. By purchasing one that covers zone 1-5 it gets you to Disneyland aswell. Just watch the gates as you put the card in, sometimes it eats the ticket and the staff aren't willing to help.
Would we go back to this hotel, probably yes. But not in peak summer time. The Liege Strasbourg is a great, typically Parisian, little hotel. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the Rue Strasbourg is noisy, this is the centre of Paris. Be it people outside...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank gaynor p

Reviewed 13 July 2012

This is a terrible Hotel! The photos on their site lo9ok nothing like what you will be getting!
I booked here because it was cheaper. I didn't understand how much cheaper it was!
Located in a less than selubrious area around the 10th, the hotel itself is small and in disrepair-inspite of claims that it had already undergone an upgrade!
The shower had mold across the ceiling! The rooms are tiny and without air-conditioning. Outside, the noise goes on till all hours of the morning! Not pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Corinthian1806
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Nestled between many shops, providing you with almost anything you need, not a great environment/ area at night though strange groups of men lurking around. Apart from that we had a wonderful stay, not happy about the limited breakfast, but it was still lovely, the kitchen staff were helpful. Beds were comfortable and the lighting was great. Windows opened fully. Internet was expensive but the reception staff were friendly and very handsome ;). Also provided us with anything we needed. The site was under construction at the time and we were not provided with this information so that was a down side. Anymore information, feel free to add me on facebook, search for me: dontfireeric@hotmail.co.uk or alternatively e-mail me at the same address. We may return back to this hotel next time we visit France. :) Thanks for the great stay. xx

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank El P
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Though it was under renovations when I stayed this did not bother us, or our sleep, though it was a tad difficult to find since it is just off the road and had to follow hand written paper signs. But the service was good, the free breakfast of a coffee and croissant was okay and the room was alright. This hotel is only a twenty-five minute walk to Notre Dame, so the location was good.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is an excellent base for the majority of people who have realistic expectations about what budget hotels can offer. It's clean, friendly and is close to the heart of the city - you'll be too busy taking in the sights, sounds and smells of Paris to worry why so many reviewers have done the hotel a disservice. There are no bed bugs! The bedding was clean and fresh. The bathroom was also very clean with a spacious shower. Some reviews have hinted that the hotel is located in an area populated by "undesirables". It's perfectly safe, with no signs of any lingering menace anywhere. Reading between the lines, the presence of so many non white faces - 90% of the nearby businesses are 'black' orientated - must have made many visitors come over all Eugene Terreblanche. If you're expecting a gated community with a Maurice Chevalier soundtrack, think again - Paris prides itself on its multicultural mix.

2  Thank Ross C
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Very basic hotel being refurbished , it has got dated look.
On the positive side the room was clean and very warm. Location was great and we did fill safe in there.
Breakfast was small, not nice coffee.
The reception people were very friendly and let us in the room although it was morning and they check in time did start at 2pm.
You get what you pay for I guess.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank Iwona F
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My employer's travel office booked the room for me based on price and location to my meeting. Just B
before leaving on my business trip, i checked this site and learned of the risk for bed-bugs. That gave a lot of stress! I educated myself about bed-bugs, and when I arrived, I checked the room. Things seemed OK for the most part. Either due to the renovation underway, or the eariler bed-bug problem, or both, the baseboard had been removed, bed's headboard top strip was loose, matresses seemed newish, etc. Continuing my inspection, I finally found some tell-tale signs of bed-bugs, around a factory sticker on the foot of the lower matress of my bed...looked just like pictured I'd seen on the web with black spots and bed-bug casings. Pulling the edge of the sticker back and shining a flashlight, could see the evidence of body casings up to several mms in length. But nothing seemed to be alive. I called reception and they expressed real concern, offered me a new room, and admitted that the place had been treated for bed-bugs a few months ago. I declined the new room, since I didn't want to have to inspect all over again. Instead I spread some disposable sheets and pillow cases on the bed that I had brought with. It was cold in Paris, so I slept in socks, long-johns and T-shirt just in case. In the morning, no bed-bug bites!

Overall I would not return here for a business trip. The price is low, but still too high for what one gets. General areas are filthy, probably due in part to the renovation traffic. Walls were thin, and somebody partying in the room next door made sleep impossible until they quieted down. Scaffolding outside window has workers chipping away at the exterior already in the morning. The breakfast is just a croissant, a bagette, a jam, pat of butter and coffee. No juice or even water is offered, but a vending machine in the dining area offers them for 2 euros.

One plus is that the WLAN, although requiring seperate payment, worked adequately and reliably for me. Some hotels offering free WLAN end up with connections so overloaded that it is hardly worth using.

In short...maybe the bed-bug problem has been taken care of, but I'll let my company pay for a better hotel next time. But Paris hotels are so expensive in general, that I would never consider coming to this city on my own dime!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business