“Awfully uncomfortable”

Unic Hotel
Ranked #1,624 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
“Awfully uncomfortable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

Really small shower, thin walls, narrow hallway to your rooms, our bed has not been changed for three days, not all of the lights work in ou room, no bedside cabinets and the tv stand looks like it could collapse any second, oh and the bed is like rock

2 Thank Carl C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wednesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

I didn't read Tripadvisor before booking, so when I did take a look at the site, I was certainly scared by some of the stuff I read. Well, the pictures are of the hotel you're probably not staying at (yes, there are two on the same site), so that's at best misleading, HOWEVER you're probably not paying top dollar (as our American cousins might put it), so what do you expect to get for your money? Well, I have to say I had a perfectly OK stay there. Yes, it's a bit shabby and could do with some new carpets and decoration, but the room I stayed in (3rd floor, looking over Rue de Montparnasse) was no smaller than many city hotel rooms, was relatively quiet, the AirCon and electrics worked fine, there was a small refrigerator, the bathroom was clean and the shower cubicle perfectly adequate (not designed for the 'fuller figure' but then many of us could do with losing weight!), towels were changed daily and the room cleaned. Breakfast was all right, and the staff in the small breakfast room helpful, as were the reception staff. The location was excellent, with loads of restaurants in easy walking distance, and two metro stations near (Montparnasse-Bienvenue is probably the more useful - don't bother taking the nearer metro stop, Edgar Quinet, to Montparnasse if you intend changing there, as you will walk miles far further underground to get to your next train than you would walking between the two stations overground). But if you can, bring your own pillow with you - one of the reviews rightly pointed out the pillows supplied were very thin! And the bed itself (I had a double) was a bit hard, but I've slept on worse. A good base for a few days stay in Paris.

Room Tip: away from the lift! and the higher the better, probably
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Surfers Paradise, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

Great location but condition of the room is third world level. Check out the photos i've attached. The pics advertised are enticing and they were offering a discount price, but guess what, instead of getting a room like the pictures show, we were given the rooms above the reception area which are definitely and utterly unkempt. In fact, perhaps third world accom has better. There was mouldy shower curtains. mould on the tiles, extremely dirty around the edges, cigarette butts on the balconette, a huge bathroom window which is lightly frosted with no curtain so that i'm sure in the evening the body is pretty much on display if not all that clear. The bedspreads haven't been washed for ages and i didn't want to use it. The linen seemed fresh but the pillow had a funny smell. I'd say the room hasn't been redecorated since the 1970's. The beds are narrow and quite old. A NO GO! when i asked the concierge why the room is not like the photos, he said we had to pay more. Good One. The breakfast meal is passable but there is not much variety and it's portioned. The breakfast area is clean and i presume the area out back which has the better rooms are probably cleaner but who knows?

Room Tip: read the reviews
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

2 Thank TravellerLP555

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Ventura, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

worst Hotel we could have stayed in! My sister,my mom and I stayed at this Hotel 03/2012 The location is great I would pick a hotel in the same area just not this Hotel! It was awful! I should have known the moment we had to carry our lugagge up stairs because the elevator was borken the guy at the desk watched me struggle with a baby and the luggage. The room had dirty sheets, and the customer service was the worst ever! They guy at the desk was not friendly, helpful or even around! I tried to get a hold of him several times on the phone gave up and went down stairs and there was no one at the desk.Another time he was eating and letting the phone ring. I "lost" my train tickets in this hotel and had to dig thru the trash to see if I could find them with no luck of course! The best part about my stay was leaving!! I was also charged for the baby something no other hotel in Paris or Italy did. This Hotel was the only bad part of my trip!

Room Tip: Dont choose a room here!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Guera L
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Where to start.....

We booked this hotel through the ever-reliable booking website innstant.com - first mistake... Don't EVER use innstant.com! They are liars and make up things to say about hotels they've never seen or researched! They have a generic list of facilities in their advertisements which they attach to every hotel description they do. Funny how a 5 star and 1 star hotel can have the same facilities isn't it? Every hotel we've booked with innstant.com we've had huge dramas with!

When we checked in to the Unic Hotel (it certainly is), we we're momentarily thrilled to be advised we had a room with a view on the top floor! Great! Until we opened the door!

We've travelled a lot, and have stayed in some smallish rooms, but this topped the lot! Barely room for the bed, let alone us and our suitcases...

The shower resembled an upright coffin with a hose hanging from the top; you either need to have your face pressed against the mould covered glass or risk having the tap go missing where the sun don't shine! We had to put our soap and shampoo on the toilet beside the shower and reach out when we wanted to use it or put it back (very hygienic)!

There was a tiny little desk tucked into a corner with a 'chair' next to it which actually fell into 3 pieces when I attempted to move it. The mirror in the room was cracked in several places.

We immediately asked if there were any bigger rooms available as given we were staying for a week with a large amount of luggage, this wasn't going to be very comfortable. We were prepared to pay extra if required. We were told the hotel was fully booked, however all the other rooms were apparently smaller than ours anyway! After another chat about this in the morning with the reception staff, we were offered a 'bigger' room, which was actually no bigger than the first room we'd been checked into.

After the second night in the original room, the hotel conveniently renovated and cleared out some other rooms as suddenly a room bigger than the one we were in was available, and we were moved there.

This room was filthy! Mould all over the bathroom (including the cure to cancer growing on the shower head). All corners of the room were covered with it; how anyone can suggest these rooms are cleaned daily is beyond me. Surely more than the occasional change of sheets or towels does not constitute a clean room?

The sheets on the bed on our first night in the small room made us itch all night (hmmm) and then in the 'bigger' room, there was a stain which I don't want to imagine it's origins (it was brown). The phone in the room didn't work, there was one powerpoint for a desk lamp, mini-bar and television - so you had to choose which one you'll use at any given moment.

The hotel advertisement states that ALL rooms have been recently renovated (they need to get their money back from their decorator), that a range of services and facilities are available which you find out the hard way are not i.e. wireless internet service (which they charge you extra to use) which you cannot access from anywhere in the building other than the lobby (and then you must remain silent as to not disturb the reception staff).

These rooms are old, mouldy, smelly, dirty, the carpets require urgent replacement, the wallpaper is torn, paint is cracking and peeling away from the walls, the door to the cupboard cannot be closed, there is a hole in the ceiling (covered with duct tape), cobwebs in the places where it's obviously too hard to reach with the duster - need I go on?

Most of the staff at this hotel are the rudest people we've ever met! On the morning of our first "breakfast" (10 Euro for a mini crossiant, small bread roll, warm OJ and 1 small coffee) my wife asked for a clean spoon with which to eat her yoghurt as she didn't want to use the one she'd used to stir her coffee half an hour before (which was covered with frothy milk). This polite request was met with a tirade of huffing, puffing and muttered abuse from the woman working there.

On our third day, we asked the guy at reception if he was able to book us into a night time tour for that night. He attempted to but said the booking company's computer's weren't working at that time and that he would call back in 15 minutes while we were out for the day. We hurried back to the hotel that night in order to leave for the tour, only to discover no booking had been made and that it was too late for us to reserve two spots that night. As we were on a tight schedule, it was going to be very difficult for us to find another time to do the tour.

As I mentioned, we've travelled a lot, and we're well aware of the variety you receive at different hotels in different countries etc, and generally, we're pretty carefree people and not really all that interested in creating unnecessary dilemmas for hotel staff or ourselves. However, this place is really the pits. If it was not advertised as being something it clearly is not (and we're talking not even close here), the dramas may not have been quite as bad.

If I had paid to stay in a hostel; if it had been advertised as a hostel; (if only it was as clean as a hostel), I would have expected a hostel. However, this place looked pretty decent when we booked, and it is far from it.

I would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel for more than one night and then only if you are travelling with low expectations and no luggage. It's a dump and you should avoid if possible. It should only be considered by a young sports group with low expectations i.e. think footy trip.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank asweeney15
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

The staff are horrifically rude. When I first arrived I thought I had entered the house of Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs, the hotel was an absolute tip!
We arrived early, left our belongings at the reception, then went to explore the sights of Paris, this was great. when we arrived back we were given the keys to a hellish room. When I say hellish, I mean HELLISH..... The mirror was broken, light bulbs didn't work, in fact, the only light came from a floodlight shining in from the hotel facade. The bedsheets were soiled, this was below par for a homeless shelter, let alone an expensive hotel! We told the staff that the room was unacceptable and demanded a better room, we were given one, but there were other guests staying in the room! I'm not even kidding. Finally we were given a slightly better room.... The key didn't work though. No apologies, just rude, beligerent staff. This hotel is thoroughly horrible, and it takes very little to impress me. I couldn't turn around in the shower either. I give this hotel a big fat 0 stars, and if I could award negative points, I definitely would, both for the awful rooms and the horrible people who work there.
My advice to travellers is that you would do better to save your money and sleep rough! Anything is better than this dive and the hellish people that work here! If the staff are reading, here are a few words to describe the hotel, môche, degeulassse, hideux, odieux.....

NEVER STAY HERE, it is truly awful!!! The location is ok, but it is near the disgusting Montparnasse tower, so no that great really. Please read this review and trust what I say, I couldn't believe what I had walked into!

Room Tip: Al of the rooms are awful, we stayed in 3!!!
Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Struan e
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

While this is a great location, the room was bad-sheets weren't clean, etc.

I had a dispute over my bill, I talked to the desk several times and someone was always going to call me tomorrow. They wouldn't respond to emails either.

Avoid this dump.