“Travel by Metro” 5 of 5 bubbles

105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Travel by Metro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Before we went to Paris we bought a guide book that gave information about the underground Metro railway, including a map of the system.
So we decided to buy Metro tickets on line before we went ,save having to find correct change/queue up ect , and at the same time having to learn how the system works.
Once we worked out how to use it or how many times you could use a ticket we found it very useful.
It seemed to us , that if you use a ticket on a certain line u could use it again the same day (not sure how many times) but if you did a cross over to a different line you would have to use a new ticket.
The way the different lines work is quite like the London underground .
We found this a very effective way to get around we were never kept waiting to long for a train ,overall we found the system very good.
We bought ten tickets and used them all because certain places we went to are a lot further in reality than they look on the map.
Also they have lots of different trains including a double decker type.
I am very pleased we bought the tickets before hand, the Metro helped give us a good holiday.
Hope you find the same.
P.S make sure you get a Metro map(our hotel gave us one as well) a take it with you.

Visited June 2013

London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Nyom nyom at Au Dernier (a restaurant, not the metro!!!)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

One thing you ought to do when travelling, which I haven't always done, is contact people you know if you're in their neck of the woods. Unless you can't stand them. In which case stay schtum!

I am fortunate to have a lot of eccentric relatives and one of them lives in Paris with her beau. I am also fortunate to live near London and also fortunate to have a friend with a particular talent for finding extremely cheap holiday deals. She found us Eurostar tickets and two nights in a two double-bedded room for 280 Euros each. She also claims to have gone on holiday to Cuba for three weeks for £300, flights and hotel inclusive. I find this hard to believe but she assures me it is true...

Anyway 'Au Dernier Metro' was recommended to me by my cousin. I later found out they take all visitors there because it is 'French'. Except it's not French, it's Basque, which I had previously associated more with Spain than France. I was reprimanded for assuming such a controversial thing. Apparently the Basque Country is more French than Spanish. Any Basque folk out there like to comment?

If you're a picky vegetarian you probably won't like the menu. When I say 'picky' I probably mean 'strict'. I shared a cheese board with my friend, which was delicious but required me to ignore the question of rennet (which I always do to be honest, I'm too desirous of an easy life I'm afraid). If you're not a vegetarian then I'm sure you will be most content with the food. My other friends chose croque au pan and croque d'ete, which were slices of bread with ham, gruyere and fried egg (for the former) and ham, tomato and mozarella (for the latter). My cousin's beau had le tartare au boeuf which I was very confused to see as it looked like regurgitated pâté - which obviously isn't very appetising for you and I apologise - and I had thought steak tartare was just very rare steak and had been clearly labouring under a misunderstanding. Anyway he enjoyed it and as he's a Frenchman, albeit very Anglicised, I'd go with his appraisal of it, not mine. Unless you're a vegetarian. I'm not that slack. I stop at rennet. And possibly finings. My cousin had the Salade Gourmande, which she also enjoyed greatly, and which featured mousse de canard, which I find rather off-putting as it translates as mousse of duck and in my mind mousse goes with chocolate and definitely not poultry. Ah, French cuisine. Delightfully disgusting. I've actually conveniently found 'Au Dernier's' menu for you: http://www.auderniermetro.com/
Bon Appétit!

Visited January 2013
3 Thank followingthehorizon
Helsingborg, Sweden
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

For us who come from a little place in Sweden it is impresive to see the system of the metro in Paris. It is so very busy but it works and it makes it easy to get around. you don't get lost in Paris.

Visited July 2012
Toronto, Canada
120 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 236 helpful votes
“The way to go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

By far one of the best transit systems anywhere.

You can buy single ride, day or multiple day passes and even within Paris zones.

All major intersections specially in downtown Paris has a Metro line. If you don't use one of the 6-7 subway tunnel lines, there are numerous bus routes and tram/street car routes encompassing all areas of Paris.

By far an enhancement to the Paris experience. Majority of the Metro lines have nearly pastry shops, small markets and shops within the terminals and all well maintained and clean.

Vending machines on all the platforms provided easy access to soft drinks and snacks yet there was no garbage or litter anywhere.

A MUST DO while in Paris.

Zone 1-3 for 3 full days @ e21.00 automated and employees present at all stations to assist and help with directions.

Visited June 2012
london
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“So Easy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

If you do nothing else , use the metro to get around. It is so easy to find your way around , and the tourist maps show you which stations are by all of the monuments. the trains are frequent and run until 1am. it felt very safe even late at night , busy at certain times but if you are careful with your bag and aware of the possibilty of pick pockets then you will be fine. it is very cheap at E 1.70 per journey , to go anywhere in the centre of Paris , but you can buy passes. We used the ticket that came with the Paris pass which gave us unlimited travel ,which was well worth it.

Visited June 2012