“Almost in centre of the City”
Review of Friend's Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Friend's Hostel
Ranked #138 of 173 Speciality Lodging in Paris
CHENNAI
“Almost in centre of the City”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Pros: This place just outside Barbes Rochechouart railway station. This place is also walkable distance from Gare du nord , one of the major railway station in Paris. Just outside Gare du nord, one can get South Indian Food in "Sarvana Bhavan" restaurant. Majot City attaractions are very nearby .

Cons: Very conjusted hostel, not clean, outside hostel it is very crowded, mornin there will be a street market, suddenly police will come and remove thet market. I didn't find this place value for money, they charged 20 euros per night. The place around is full of migrated people, especially africans. It is better to be in your room in late night. Even at 10PM , a group of african boys mischieved with me near Sarvana Bhavan (Gare du nord).
Since I was to stay for one night, (I booked it through hostel.com) I managed but willl never go to this place again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Eaglescliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Way better than we expected, especially after having read several reviews we then figured out to be untrue. The only real thing that was not that good looking is the borough though: definetly not the people you want to have around you when on vacations to be honest.
Talking about all the rest, I've personally found the Hostel is a lot underrated in the ratings and, considering it is an Hostel and not an Hotel, it really deserves at least a bit more.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlexRinaldi_91
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Aside from it being right beside a metro station, there's really nothing positive about this hostel. It's gross, the staff wasn't very friendly and didn't speak english very well at all. Their "safe" was basically just a closet with little to no security. The cleaning guy just wasn't good at his job. The bathrooms were small and dirty and always out of toilet paper. The neighborhood was shady and unsafe. The common area was tiny with almost no outlets. The kitchen was so gross I just tried to avoid that. And there was no wifi past 6 pm and I couldn't even pay to use it after that.

The only good thing that came out of it was that we hated the hostel so much that it made us explore the city more because we didn't want to go back. Do yourself a favor and just don't stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ams364

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Reviewed 23 April 2013

The neighborhood is really unpleasant: drug dealers, strange guys hanging around always trying to sell us smt, however they weren't agressive (we were walking in a group only). Location is great - metro station across the street. Staff was quite friendly too. Room: dirty walls, shower in a room was broken, however beds are pretty comfortable. We didn't use kitchen, bcs it was very small, a bit dirty, no dishes. Only 2 showers and 2 toilets available in a whole hostel. Showers are really small, but not dirty. After the last night we spent there we discovered that during the night mouse has visited our room. That 's the main reason we won't stay there next time.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Dizhon-karneshon
Oudenburg, Belgium
Reviewed 9 April 2013

FRIENDS hostel is the most afwul, disgusting hostel you can imagine!!!!

This for the following reasons:

1. The hostel is located in a very bad, dangerous neighbourhood. We saw a lot of drugdealing during day and nighttime.

2. The hostel is not hygienic at all!!!!
The walls of our room were full of mold (see attachment);
the matresses were covered with mold;
they didn't clean the sheets and blankets, these were full of stains and hair;
they didn't clean the room because there were still leftovers of food and drinks of the previous travellers;
the window didn't close well;
the sink in the bathroom was broken;

They charged us 91 euro for this disgusting room!
Unbelievable!!!!!!

We tried to negotiate with the staff, after i told them to go and check the room, they told me i was right and that they would never want to sleep in a room like that. But they couldn't do anything... so they told me....!!!! This place is run by crooks who want to earn a lot of money with the most inhuman rooms!

I met a few other travellers in the hostel, they told me that their belongings were stolen during the night, they had cockroaches in the room....

Room Tip: Do not book a room in this hostel!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank E_C_0810
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Do not stay here. Upon entering the crowded hostel lobby, our group of 5 was given 1 key and our knapsacks were thrown into a ghetto storage room. The different coloured neon walls are a poor attempt at making the place seem friendly. The room we stayed in consisted of bunk beds with missing rungs and messed sheets with hair. There was a large sticky mouse trap under the heater and someone left their vanilla pudding on the sink. The room was absolutely freezing at night. The staff were neither friendly nor helpful. The one positive thing about this place was its proximity to the subway, that is, after you walk by all the sketchy drug dealers that wait outside.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Holaylay
Oloron-Sainte-Marie, France
Reviewed 17 March 2013

If you are looking for a hostel in Paris on a budget, do not even consider this place. Why? Allow me to explain.

-Upon arriving and as one of the first of my group (a group of 8) I immediately learned that there was only 1 key for every room. The guy at the front desk also encouraged me to leave the key with him so that I might not lose it. Were this a half reputable place I might understand that but I suspected perhaps ulterior motives (my suspicions were later at least semi-justified when I learned a fellow guest of the hostel had all of her personal effects stolen.) The atmosphere right outside the door is a bit of a tip off with numerous guys shouting at you trying to sell counterfeit cigarettes. There wasn't even one time when I stepped outside where I wasn't met with shouts of "MARLBORO MARLBORO! DES GENS! MARLBORO!"

-The room I stayed in had 2 bunk beds, a sink, a window and only 1 functioning light out of 2. It also looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a few days. Again, how I wish I was wrong. As I was falling asleep on the first night I smelled the unmistakable scent of sweaty body odor. I knew it couldn't have been me as I had literally just washed all of my clothes that morning at a laundromat. It was my blanket, supplied by the hostel; unwashed. When I complained the next morning at the desk the clerk was initially unhelpful and said there was nothing he could do. After seeing how angry and frustrated I was he gave me the key to another room and told me to switch blankets. So some poor unlucky sap will now be in the same situation I was. Astounding.

-The icing on the proverbial turd cake however was on the last night of our stay, while I was sitting on my bunk contemplating how a sad series of events led me to this abomination of a hostel when all of the sudden I saw a mouse scooting along the baseboards under my bags. I immediately went to the front desk and confronted the clerk, he came with me back to the room, didn't see the mouse and told me that it had probably gotten out of the room. Unhappy and frustrated I resigned myself to wait for the return of the rest of my travel companions to discuss our options when I saw the mouse again. This time crawling around in the lower bunk, in my friends clothes. I lost it, I began shouting, swearing and kicking the bed. I was furious, I went to get the clerk again and this time he saw the mouse. He immediately grabbed my friend's boot and tried to hammer the animal into oblivion, to no avail. Another staff member poked his head in the door and began taunting me and my companions, jeering us that we shouldn't be afraid of a little mouse and there was in fact a mouse in EVERY room. Comforting. Evidently he was absent from the history lesson explaining the effects of the plague, in which ~50% of Europe's population died due to a disease transmitted by vermin. ie: Rats, Mice etc.

They weren't willing to do a damn thing about it so my friends and I decided to cut our losses and we moved ALL of our things on foot to a different nearby hostel. Which by comparison seemed like the Ritz. The whole experience was a nightmare and I truly and sincerely hope "Friend's" hostel get's condemned for being unsanitary and unfit for human habitation. Sure the cost is bottom of the barrel but there are basic necessities that need to be met.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends