“Adequate Hotel in Great Location”
Review of Hotel Eugenie

Hotel Eugenie
Ranked #1,080 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Adequate Hotel in Great Location”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

My daughter and I took the Eurostar from London for a two day jaunt in Paris and needed cheap accomodations in a good location. We have stayed in this area before and liked it so when I found Hotel Eugenie online, I made our reservation.

As others have stated, it's not a fancy place, but I wasn't expecting the Ritz. Check in was easy and it helped that the woman spoke English. She was not what I would call friendly, but she was courteous, which was just fine.

Our room was quiet, overlooking the courtyard and was clean and cozy. Our bed was a king sized bed and very comfortable. The bathroom was small but adequate. Aren't all bathrooms small in Paris? ;)

The only problem we ran into was figuring how to turn on the lights. You have to insert the room key in a slot on the wall for the lights to turn on. Their way of conserving energy, I suppose.

The other issue was with the internet. My daughter logged on first and once one person is using the internet, no one else can log on! So, SHE got to check her e-mail, facebook, twitter, etc. while I twiddled my thumbs... Who paid for the room, anyway?! The moral of the story here is, you snooze, you lose. I think they would have been willing to give me another access code if I had made a stink about it but since we were only staying for one night, I figured I didn't have to have internet access (gasp!).

We didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the food.

Overall, I was satisfied with our room. It was quiet, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was functioning. I feel like we got what we paid for: a two star accomodation in a great location.

Happy travels!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 July 2012

While providing a small but quite comfortable room--really liked the pillows--the Hotel Eugenie is also located on an engaging and fun street, rue Saint-Andre des Arts, within walking distance of everything. The air-conditioning worked fine. The elevator worked. The internet worked with iPhone and iPad. The service was helpful and friendly, except for the breakfast lady who would not smile even if you offered her a euro--but get your breakfast down the street at one of the many cafes. Also, for large cup coffee lovers there is a Starbucks about half a block away and they serve at 7:00 am.

Room Tip: We were on the courtyard not the street. The street is noisy up until 1 or 2 in the morning. Our r...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hesney
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. It's location is right around the corner from the Fountain in the Latin Quarter and the St. Michel metro line.. What a fantastic location for sights, food, drinks, everything! The hotel itself is definitely a 2 star rating. Our room was on the second floor and faced the courtyard. It was very quiet. Everything in the room needs updating though. The sheets were clean, and the washroom was clean. You do have to let the water run about 3-4 min before you get hot water for the shower. The carpets are a dark red/black, they definitely could use lighter floors. The internet worked on my iPad but not on any of our phones. We didn't pay for breakfast, instead went out for coffee close by. The gentleman at night was vey friendly ad helpful. The others working the desk didn't seem to know too much about the area or helped us with much. If you want a 2 star hotel with just the basics and close to everything this may suit you.

Room Tip: A room facing the courtyard, although there's nothing to see in it. It would be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dingle, Ireland
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My husband and I have visited this hotel several times. We are never disappointed
The staff are friendly and helpful and speak English
The location is bang in the centre of Paris ,right beside Notre Dame and St Germain.
The rooms are not very large but are very comfortable, well equipped and reasonably priced.

This hotel is a little jewel in the heart of Paris

Room Tip: 101, 201, 301 are very quiet family rooms on the courtyard
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We have stayed at the Eugenie before and liked it. The location can't be beat.

When we checked in for our 4 day stay, we asked for a room overlooking the street. The woman at the desk said there were none available, and none would become available during our stay. She sent us to room 404. It is one of the worst rooms I've ever seen. It lacked the amenities of the other room (no safe, only 2 pillows instead of the 4 in the other rooms.) You can't stand up in the shower, but have to crouch down because of the slope in the roof. There wasn't even room a toilet paper dispenser. We hated the room and asked to move, but she said there wasn't another room. The next day the elevator broke down. We both are seniors with bad knees. We found ourselves buying coffee we didn't really want so we could use the bathroom at the nearby restroom rather than hike up the stairs to our room. The elevator still wasn't fixed the next day. The same woman (short, thirty-ish, brunette) told us that nobody was checking out, so we would have to stay in the room. While my husband sat in the lobby, I took some purchases up to the room. When I returned he told me that 3 people had checked out. I told the woman that we would have to leave and find another hotel because we couldn't handle the stairs. She was kind of nasty about it, but I pointed out that when we made the reservation the hotel claimed to have an elevator. But then, a small miracle. Somehow she found us a room on the first floor. When we moved our bags, we saw the maids cleaning 3 other empty rooms on that floor.

It was like night and day. The new room was large, comfortable, had a safe, and had extra pillows, as well as a view of the street.

Much as we loved our second room, I won't stay there again, lest I get the dreaded room 404.

On top of that, I don't like being lied to.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the fourth floor, whatever you do. Especially not in room 404.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank louxx

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My 2 adult daughters and I stayed in a triple room. It was small but comfortable and clean although I prefer a room with wood floors. This room had a rug. The price was good for the location and being in Paris. The bathroom was fine and had a heated towel rack so we could wash out clothes and they would be dry in the morning.
We really liked the location in St. Germaine next to the Latin Quarter and near the Seine. There were restaurants, grocery store, bakeries etc. close by as well as St. Michel and a metro station.
Staff were helpful and arranged for an early morning taxi.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank tonichestnutantosha
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed 17 June 2012

The best thing about Hotel Eugénie is definitely its location, within walking distance to major sights such as Notre-Dame, the Panthéon, the Louvre and Musée d'Orsay. There is a metro station at the corner (Saint-Michel), and the surroundings are very lively, with many restaurants. The room was clean, not big but spacious enough. The staff was always very nice and helpful. Breakfast was not included in our reservation, but there are many boulangeries nearby.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family