“Nice, Clean Hostel with an okay Atmosphere.”
Review of Woodstock Hostel

Woodstock Hostel
Ranked #57 of 194 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed in Woodstock Hostel for a full week. Upon arriving I was greeted by the very charming receptionist who let me store my bag and take a shower much earlier than check in, which I appreciated.

I stayed in a four bed dorm. The bunk beds were solid and cosy, always slept pretty well. My dorm had a sink and mirror. The best part was definitely the electronic safes in the room so I didn't even need to worry about using a padlock, there are also electronic safe's downstairs. The staff were very helpful keeping my laptop in the back all the time. It does feel like a very safe hostel, but you can never be too careful. It was almost a running joke how frequently I would collect and then deposit my laptop with reception, but staff were always very sweet and kind, especially the manager who was a very polite and warm woman who was always happy to see everyone, help them out and surprisingly remembered everyone's name :)

There wasn't too much of an atmosphere. I stayed in October which I understand to be low tourist season and it seemed the hostel was pretty quiet, but I still met a lot of great people. There wasn't much of a lounge area either, a couple of PC's in reception and a few tables and chairs. This could either be a blessing for those who like quiet hostel's and a peaceful trip or a curse for those (like me) who love meeting new people. Things picked up after a few days, but being a solo traveler it was a bit dull at first. It wasn't until the weekend when the first floor got a bit noisy, but if you're staying in a youth hostel you realistically have to expect it.

As far as cleanliness went, this hostel was great. There was a cleaner every day, lockouts are common in hostel's I guess, at least they actually cleaned and made use of their lock out period. It is also in a great location, only a two minute walk to Anvers metro and a 10 minute walk from Gare du Nord. A grocery store is only up the street, there's also a few laundromats and ATM's around the corner. Wi-Fi was also very strong, never a problem. The kitchen is alright and provides the usual amenities.

Breakfast was okay, cereal and croissants and bread rolls, only one croissant per person is the standard rule so I would just load up on chocolate corn flakes.

It was a pretty good stay, no real complaints. Staff were helpful and friendly, close to a Metro and located within a 2 minute walk of Sacre Couer, Moulin Rouge and a lot of great pubs (check out the Irish place next to Moulin Rouge if you want some great cheap beers) I'd also highly recommend taking a Culture Fish (pay what you want) walking tour, there are flyers in reception if you're a little in over your head and would like a very informative tour without having to stress about finding everything yourself.

A great stay at Woodstock Hostel. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Hot water does run out, not sure when so get in quickly.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I went to this hostel only for two nights for a concert in Paris on December 2012. It is a small hostel, with no outstanding facilities. The main reason why I chosed it it was for the location. I went to a Crystal Castles concert at the Trianon and it is just located three blocks away from it. Also conveniently located close to the Sacre Coeur et Montmartre area, not to mention the Anvers metro station just five minutes away walking. The only issue is that one of my roomates, a Brazilian guy had 300 euros stolen form the security box! :0...anyways good location, regular hostel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Woodstock hostel was pleasant and I enjoyed my stay. Me and another friend stayed in a shared dorm (6) for 4 nights Mon - Fri and chose woodstock for its location and reasonable price. 30 euro each a night for a room just below pigalle was a cheaper option and it was very close to montmartre, sacrecoeur and Pigalle and Anvers metro. I actually walked straight down to the louvre from woodstock hostel - a great way to see the city.

The room
We were on the third floor - small spiral staircase was hard to pull my small travel case up but we managed fine! Our room of 6 was made of a sink, a bin, very small safety deposit boxes and a few lights. A lamp above each bed would have been nice I was told by others in the room - though I was lucky and my bed had one above - perfect for nighttime reading. The wifi reached my room from the bottom floor which was also good, slthough it was a little temperamental and hard to connect to. One probems was that there was no air con - little a bit annoying because paris in august is hot and humid but we both adapted quickly and slept well after some vino!

The noise outside the hostel was a little loud but to be expected in busy lived in areas - bin men and drills in the morning - it was not unbearable though and i liked the fact it woke me up so I could get up early get a shower and explore.

The hostel

The staff were all very pleasant, spoke great english and were willing to give advice on where to go, eat, party etc. There was a tiny outdoor seating area where we could sit and drink but you cannot drink inside because they want you to buy from their bar. The outdoor seating also closed at 10pm and the kitchen at 12am to keep noise levels down. Shame to stop drinking outside early but good I had to no access to midnight munchies!

The location
Situated just below Pigalle - this was close to the red light district. I had been warned and reasd that this was sleazy and unsafe for two girls to be in. I think it was good I was aware but I fee this is a little bit of scaremongering. Maybe outside August when parisians are back in the city after their holidays it is worse but I walked home alone twice and had no issues with anything scary or disgusting. The strip in pigalle obviously was not ideal, we drank in an Irish bar Sullivans which was overpriced and crowed. There was a great electro club - Divan Du Monde, opposite la fourmi (great coffee and lush food), which we left because noone else liked the music!! Annoying for me - lover of techno, deep house etc!!

Overall the hostel was great for what we needed , a bed, friendly faces and like minded travellers. I had a ball and although it was by no means perfect, I would stay here again! Only thing i suggest is you bring your own towel and DO NOT lose your receipt for your bedsheets - you wont get the money back otherwise. I made this mistake and lost 12 euros. OOPS

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank genofeves
Reviewed 26 July 2013

During our recent exploration of Paris, my wife and I booked a private room at this hostel. Although the cost of the room was slightly over our nightly budget, we are glad that we chose the room that we did. It was nice to be in a room with just the two of us.

If you choose to stay there, follow the directions you receive upon booking your stay. Just note that when you go around the park, turn to your right and take the second street to the left. It will all make sense when you are there. Also, you may be interested to know that there is not a whole lot of activity around the hostel’s neighborhood late at night. In fact, the streets seemed eerily empty. During the day, however, there is a nice size grocery store about a block away. In addition, there is an internet and copy service business right next door and the main post office for the area is right across the street from the hostel.

We had a pleasant experience at this hostel. All of the staff were multi-lingual and provided us with lots of guidance as to how to explore Paris. In the mornings, the breakfast wasn’t much, but they always had fresh croissants, coffee and cereal. The kitchen was small, but sufficient enough to meet our needs. We stayed on the first floor, right off of the courtyard, and we had a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the double room on the ground floor off of the courtyard. It has a small sink, a sitting are...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Easy check-in, clean, and offered a kitchen filled with food. Bathrooms were clean. Breakfast was substantial. Just understand that you're going to hostel and you'll be happy with it.

Only bad thing was a guy in our room snored. A lot. But the staff can't control that.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2013

there was ONE plug socket in the whole room, between 6 people. we were lucky that a guy in our room brought an extension cord that he let us use. its also above the mirror, so if you were charging your phone, it would just have to dangle over the sink. so awful. unclean toilet and shower, both tiny. the toilet didnt have a sink, but the shower room did. no sense. also it was 1 shower and toilet between at least 2 floors of 4 rooms on each, at least! kitchen was good but no one bothered to clean things up ever. the garden was tiny and for some reason had two toilets in it, you werent allowed out there after 10. very unfriendly hostel. free breakfast that was actually good, fresh croissants, cereal, coffee, hot choc, juices. close enough to a metro. tiny dorms. loud street front, bongos being played right outside until very late. i got excited when i found out the hostel had a cat, but even he isnt friendly! awful wifi.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

For Paris, this hostel have a nice price. The staff are friendly, the breakfast , which is included, is good and is in a good location, close to the bohemian neighborhood Montmatre.
And also has a good kitchen. The problem is the bathroom, which is small and has always a line to use, because it's just one per level.
Another point is because the noise of the street, that is always loud, all night long.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo