“Avoid if you value your belongings”
Review of Woodstock Hostel

and 1 more site!
Woodstock Hostel
Ranked #59 of 173 Speciality Lodging in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid if you value your belongings”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I recently stayed at this weekend with a group of friends - the beds are old and creaky, the bathrooms are very dirty and the rooms are tiny. I understand this is a hostel and you get what you pay for...and so I was kind of expecting all of the above.

What I wasnt expecting was a rude owner and rude staff. They kick you out of the hostel at 11am so that they can 'clean the rooms' - during the clean all they do is go through the bags within the room and take out things that they like the look of. I had a brand new and unopened bottle of whiskey taken out of my bag (confiscated because you cannot take your own alcohol into the hostel - they say they return it on leaving the hostel - in my case they allegedly threw it down the drain)... the rooms, bathroom were not cleaned during this time. I think they just need to additional time to really make sure they havent missed anything good in your belongings.

They also took €200 off my credit card because there was someone smoking in the hostel, they didnt know who it was and could not point out the culprit... so they just assumed it must be someone from our group and without asking debited my CC.

Our group has people who have travelled all over the world living in hostels/hotels/campsites and B&B's and we all agree that this is definitely a hostel to avoid if at all possible... or bring a large padlock for your belongings and be prepared to deal with very strict rules, it wasnt a holiday it was a bootcamp!

Room Tip: Try a different place.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank andrew s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 29 November 2013

It is just a great place , wonderfull staff! My prents were there in 97 and the plce is still here!
Rooms were cleaned, i love the kitchen and great music
Nothing to say about Woodstock
Be back for sure!

Room Tip: Room 4 or 2
Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Firstly let me state this is a backpackers in the middle of Paris so I wasn't expecting much but I was truely shocked at the staff rudeness and downright theft.

We were a large group visiting Paris for the rugby. Alas, the hostel staff entered our locked rooms and went through our bags while we were not in the room. They stole and then destroyed all our bottled alcohol. We were not consuming the alcohol on premise!!!

I have travelled extensively through Europe, New Zealand and Australia using backpackers as my port of call. This was by a colossal mile the dirtiest I have even had the unfortunate pleasure of staying at.

Avoid like the plague or you may just catch it - you have been warned! :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Richvdl

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Portsmouth, Dominica
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Everything you could want from a hostel. Free continental breakfast; crossiants, rolls, jam, butter, cereal, juice, milk, coffee.

Really we stayed there just to sleep. We were out in the city the rest of the time. There is a small grocery store down the road so buying food and bringing it back was a cheap option.

Safes in the room are big enough to fit a netbook but any larger computer couldn't fit. Luggage storage room downstairs for bigger bags and also more safes in the lobby.

Room with 6 beds was kinda cramped, but what more do you need? 5 euro deposit for sheets.

Very nice staff that provided us with free maps of Paris.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed in Woodstock Hostel for a full week. Upon arriving I was greeted by the very charming receptionist who let me store my bag and take a shower much earlier than check in, which I appreciated.

I stayed in a four bed dorm. The bunk beds were solid and cosy, always slept pretty well. My dorm had a sink and mirror. The best part was definitely the electronic safes in the room so I didn't even need to worry about using a padlock, there are also electronic safe's downstairs. The staff were very helpful keeping my laptop in the back all the time. It does feel like a very safe hostel, but you can never be too careful. It was almost a running joke how frequently I would collect and then deposit my laptop with reception, but staff were always very sweet and kind, especially the manager who was a very polite and warm woman who was always happy to see everyone, help them out and surprisingly remembered everyone's name :)

There wasn't too much of an atmosphere. I stayed in October which I understand to be low tourist season and it seemed the hostel was pretty quiet, but I still met a lot of great people. There wasn't much of a lounge area either, a couple of PC's in reception and a few tables and chairs. This could either be a blessing for those who like quiet hostel's and a peaceful trip or a curse for those (like me) who love meeting new people. Things picked up after a few days, but being a solo traveler it was a bit dull at first. It wasn't until the weekend when the first floor got a bit noisy, but if you're staying in a youth hostel you realistically have to expect it.

As far as cleanliness went, this hostel was great. There was a cleaner every day, lockouts are common in hostel's I guess, at least they actually cleaned and made use of their lock out period. It is also in a great location, only a two minute walk to Anvers metro and a 10 minute walk from Gare du Nord. A grocery store is only up the street, there's also a few laundromats and ATM's around the corner. Wi-Fi was also very strong, never a problem. The kitchen is alright and provides the usual amenities.

Breakfast was okay, cereal and croissants and bread rolls, only one croissant per person is the standard rule so I would just load up on chocolate corn flakes.

It was a pretty good stay, no real complaints. Staff were helpful and friendly, close to a Metro and located within a 2 minute walk of Sacre Couer, Moulin Rouge and a lot of great pubs (check out the Irish place next to Moulin Rouge if you want some great cheap beers) I'd also highly recommend taking a Culture Fish (pay what you want) walking tour, there are flyers in reception if you're a little in over your head and would like a very informative tour without having to stress about finding everything yourself.

A great stay at Woodstock Hostel. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Hot water does run out, not sure when so get in quickly.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I went to this hostel only for two nights for a concert in Paris on December 2012. It is a small hostel, with no outstanding facilities. The main reason why I chosed it it was for the location. I went to a Crystal Castles concert at the Trianon and it is just located three blocks away from it. Also conveniently located close to the Sacre Coeur et Montmartre area, not to mention the Anvers metro station just five minutes away walking. The only issue is that one of my roomates, a Brazilian guy had 300 euros stolen form the security box! :0...anyways good location, regular hostel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Murcia, Spain
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Woodstock hostel was pleasant and I enjoyed my stay. Me and another friend stayed in a shared dorm (6) for 4 nights Mon - Fri and chose woodstock for its location and reasonable price. 30 euro each a night for a room just below pigalle was a cheaper option and it was very close to montmartre, sacrecoeur and Pigalle and Anvers metro. I actually walked straight down to the louvre from woodstock hostel - a great way to see the city.

The room
We were on the third floor - small spiral staircase was hard to pull my small travel case up but we managed fine! Our room of 6 was made of a sink, a bin, very small safety deposit boxes and a few lights. A lamp above each bed would have been nice I was told by others in the room - though I was lucky and my bed had one above - perfect for nighttime reading. The wifi reached my room from the bottom floor which was also good, slthough it was a little temperamental and hard to connect to. One probems was that there was no air con - little a bit annoying because paris in august is hot and humid but we both adapted quickly and slept well after some vino!

The noise outside the hostel was a little loud but to be expected in busy lived in areas - bin men and drills in the morning - it was not unbearable though and i liked the fact it woke me up so I could get up early get a shower and explore.

The hostel

The staff were all very pleasant, spoke great english and were willing to give advice on where to go, eat, party etc. There was a tiny outdoor seating area where we could sit and drink but you cannot drink inside because they want you to buy from their bar. The outdoor seating also closed at 10pm and the kitchen at 12am to keep noise levels down. Shame to stop drinking outside early but good I had to no access to midnight munchies!

The location
Situated just below Pigalle - this was close to the red light district. I had been warned and reasd that this was sleazy and unsafe for two girls to be in. I think it was good I was aware but I fee this is a little bit of scaremongering. Maybe outside August when parisians are back in the city after their holidays it is worse but I walked home alone twice and had no issues with anything scary or disgusting. The strip in pigalle obviously was not ideal, we drank in an Irish bar Sullivans which was overpriced and crowed. There was a great electro club - Divan Du Monde, opposite la fourmi (great coffee and lush food), which we left because noone else liked the music!! Annoying for me - lover of techno, deep house etc!!

Overall the hostel was great for what we needed , a bed, friendly faces and like minded travellers. I had a ball and although it was by no means perfect, I would stay here again! Only thing i suggest is you bring your own towel and DO NOT lose your receipt for your bedsheets - you wont get the money back otherwise. I made this mistake and lost 12 euros. OOPS

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends