“Forget the Hostel, Just Love Paris”
Review of Woodstock Hostel

and 1 more site!
Woodstock Hostel
Ranked #56 of 161 Speciality Lodging in Paris
England
“Forget the Hostel, Just Love Paris”
Reviewed 28 March 2007

If you want to go to Paris and you don't care where you sleep as long as you have a roof over your head and you don't have to worry about freezing to death, then the Woodstock is as good as any other place out there, I guess.

While some of the staff were extremely helpful and friendly, others were rude, unhelpful and made you feel quite unwelcome. The language barrier was not a problem in any case however and it was nice to hear the English language at the end of the day and the drinks were some of the cheapest in the whole of Paris.

It is the luck of the draw who you get to stay with, which was not a problem for us, as we knew we would be sharing when we booked. However, we were told we would be in a six person dorm, but we were on the top floor in a four person room (sharing bunk beds) with another matress under one of the beds. I wondered if the other matress had gone missing or if there was a booking error.

You are expected to vacate your room from 11am until 3pm for cleaning. However, I didn't notice any cleaning going on in our room, in the toilet or in the shower. The latter two were particularly disgusting. The matresses were dire and the rented sheets had some of the pubic belongings of some of the previous guests who had used them.

Nevertheless, while the room was small, it was cozy. I was very conscious of the fact that our bed squeaked and was scared to move most of the time in case I woke others up. Getting onto the top bunk isn't the easiest of things, as there were no aids, but it's do-able.

Breakfast consisted of hot chocolate, coffee, water or orange juice... and bread. While it was free, by the second morning I didn't care if I made it to breakfast or not.

The curfew was not a problem as if you really get to see Paris, you will be exhausted well before 2am. However, the walls definitely are thin and if you're unlucky enough to have the toilet adjoining... you can get to know other guests in ways you probably wouldn't want to. Bowel movements and toilet paper use come to mind.

The showers are a little scary. Once warm, they're fine but when cold they can take your breath away literally. The large window left little to the imagination for those in the courtyard and neighbouring houses. While blurred, you still might find yourself feeling a little conscious.

And if you want an early nights sleep... if you're too tired to stay awake, then you're fine. Nothing will keep you awake. However, extroverted Americans kept me up one night and I was staying on the top floor. There was little done to keep the noise down, if anything at all.

It felt like it was a place catering for people who were willing to pour as much money into the well being of the hostel as possible. Drinking in the hostel is a cheap option, but the atmosphere is bleak especially when your company is hit or miss. Maybe we chose the wrong time to go because the people certainly make the place. It's cheap, but you pay for cheap. I will never forget my trip to Paris, but I hope one day I can forget the Woodstock.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank AidenMc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed 12 March 2007

It was dusty, dirty, and a flea infested cat had access to all of the rooms. The front desk employees have a computer at the desk, and were messaging and emailing the entire time. Clients were definitely not their main priority. The kitchen looked as if it had not been cleaned in a very long time. They permitted exreme alcohol use and the loud, obnoxious behaviors of some of the veryyy young guests would go as late as 3am. I KNOW that they did not ask all of the guests for ID. I was sitting at a table and watched 3 young guys check in WITHOUT ID. I also was very uncomfortable with no lockers and no means to secure my belongings. I will never go again and I do not recommend staying here at all.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness and Lack of security
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
4 Thank AmericanTraveler7

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 30 January 2007

I was really worried about staying here after reading some of the reviews but it really is fine, especially for such a reasonable price. We stayed in a dorm on the top floor which meant it was pretty quiet. Didn't brave the showers. The breakfast is great considering it is free! Don't be too quick to reject this hostel- the location's fantastic!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Showers
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank voyages888
England
Reviewed 31 October 2006

Stayed for a long weekend in October. We were given a room off the courtyard which proved to be small and unclean. Bathroom facilites are also very basic and in need of a good clean, the earlier you get up (quite easy as we were woken up by the hostel plumbing!) the hotter the shower! The staff, especially the woman, behind the counter were rude and generally unhelpful. Despite notices saying noise would be kept to a minimum after 10:30pm, staff made no effort to ensure this happened, and as a result we spent 3 nights listening to loud bragging Americans and Australians. On the plus side, the hostel is in a great location for exploring Paris, and the breakfast (if you can find space to eat it) is perfect.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay at this hostel
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank pinky11
Pamplona
Reviewed 25 July 2006

I will never come back to this hostel, ever!!
so my boybriend and i went to paris for 5 days and we stayed at this hostel. the price is too expensive for the bad quality of the hostel, so I guess it was because of the area.
we stayed at a bedroom for ourselves (thank god!!), because people were drunk and ------ up. it was really noisy (the floor was made of wood and you could hear everything. the curfew ------, but it was really good then because at two everybody went to sleep and i could finally have a little bit of peace.
the showers where totally awful! there was weird stuff on the floor( I recomed to take sandals to take the shower, its nasty).
well what can i say about the room, it was smelly, noisy, and it looked so dirty. the bed is really uncomfortable. i did go to breakfast, i wasn´t interested...
well, and then the stuff where nice but a little bit..i don´t know...careless when it comes to security (you have to leave the key of your room in the hostel, and somebody else could take it (they are like on a wooden box).
well, some people might think that i´m a little bit picky, but I just want to advice people who are not looking for party and alcohol the whole time: for the price of this hostel you can have a palace in belgium etc. next time i go to paris, i will be staying in a 2 stars hotel or so (prices are similar and quality cannot be compared)

• Liked — i didn´t like anything
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay at this hostel, its horrible
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with friends
6 Thank leyretas
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 June 2006

This place is great if you are travelling by yourself ! Staff and Guests are friendly.

Courtyard was great for chilling after a day of sightseeing ! Ended up drinking late into the night with many fellow guests.

Showers were a little cold on level 2 - Hot showers on ground floor and level 3.

Beds and rooms were small and basic - exactly what you need to sleep !

Would stay there again !

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 May 2006

I stayed with a friend 2 nights at Woodstock. We had wandered in with no reservations and they put us in a room with about 10 beds. I have to say that we had a fantastic time there. It wasn't so much the lodging but the people there were great-both guests and staff. I haven't hosteled a ton but we ended up drinking there one night with about 6 other people and had a blast! Also, after wandering Paris with little in the way of French speaking skills, it was good to come back at night to an enclave of english speaking folks. One thing that was bad, if you care, they didn't supply sheets for the beds we were on and the beds were a little funky. I didn't care but a chick might (I also did not have sheets). Of the time in Europe, the Woodstock and Paris were the highlight (to my surprise).

• Stayed April 2003