“Fantastic property, great amenities”

Hotel du Collectionneur
Ranked #412 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Manhattan Beach, California, USA
“Fantastic property, great amenities”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 weeks, and it was wonderful, helpful, friendly staff, spacious rooms, wonderful breakfast buffet to get me started for a busy work day. Location was somewhat quiet, but walking distance from the hustle and bustle of city sights like the Arc de Triomphe and Champs-Elysees. Plenty of great restaurants nearby as well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
guestrelationshdc, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel du Collectionneur, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,
we thank you for having spent 2 weeks with us and for appreciating the staff, our spacious rooms, breakfast and the location.
Please do not hesitate to contact us back whenever you are visiting our city in future. We will be more than glad to take care of your stay to return it more memorable.

Warm regards,
Hôtel du Collectionneur Arc de Triomphe Paris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a hotel that has great potential, but today it just does not work. Here are a few examples:

The check in is extremely long - two people behind the reception, two people checking in, should all be done in 5 mins - I had to wait 20 mins. When I got to my room (166), it smelt very strongly of cigarette smoke, so back down to the reception for a room change. This time 25 mins, this time room 721 which also smelt of smoke, but by then I had given up. (my colleague, who arrived a different day at a different time, also had to wait a long time for check in). However, the reception is full of staff running around, looking busy, but not actually doing much.

The bar is badly organised - a lot of waiters / waitresses - I was asked three times whether I would like to order (I had already ordered), twice by the person who had taken by order ! But the food arrived before the drinks - there is only one barman, who seems to have a monopoly on the bar and so everyone has to wait for him. And as commented before, the bar is very expensive.

One night we were informed that there would be no water between 00h00 and 04h30 - OK, unusual for a luxury hotel, but at least we were informed - at 08h00 there was brown cold water, no hot water until around 11h00 (everyone in the hotel had the same problem, talking to other conference attendees).

This hotel seems to cater for the group tour operators and the military - if you are on your own, you should try your chances elsewhere (especially at these prices).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
I am extremely disappointed to learn of your global experience and yes, I agree that you are absolutely right when saying that we have great potential but have failed to make a mark at this moment of your stay and please accept our very sincere apologies for all the inconveniences, being checked into smoking rooms, for the waitings at the desk or in the bar to the problem we did have regarding the hot water.
However, I will hope dear guest that you will not deter to return to our property to give us a chance to prove our abilities to match your expectations and if any plans are made to visit our place, please contact me at guest relations department and I will be more than glad to personally look into every detail to make sure to return your stay more enjoyable and pleasant unlike the recent one.

With best wishes,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My assistant booked me here this past week as the Paris Air Show was in full swing and hotel rooms were hard to come by. The hotel was adequate but I shan't return if I can avoid it. First off, I'm not a fan of Deep Purple, and I'm not referring to the band but the color that the mono-chromatically inspired interior decorator of this hotel is clearly beholden to. I'm also not a fan of Erte and you cannot look at a wall in this hotel and not be faced with an avalanche of Erte backed by Deep Purple. The check in was fine, but when you got to the elevators you begin to notice that this is not Le Bristol or Georges V. The interior doors of the elevators were painted with an institutional flat white paint that was chipping. Clearly the original doors must have been scratched beyond recovery and rather than spend the money to replace them they just slapped a coat of matte white. The similar decisions were made with the chipped tiles on the elevator floor. So the trip up to your floor upon arrival evoked a cheap institutional building rather than a hotel that fancies itself a luxury establishment. Wandering down the hall I began to notice the heavy scent of some air freshener everywhere. I'm normally not too bothered by smells, but this was strong. And when I arrived in my room, it was eye watering. I opened my window to the extent I could and cranked up the a/c fan to try to vent the overpowering smell (it did make me wonder what had happened in my room to require such an application of air freshener!). The smell never faded in the end by I got used to it. The room was smallish and utilitarian. The furnishings were not luxurious and chipped here and there and Erte and purple were the dominant themes. I decided to stay in and watch a World Cup match so I ordered room service. The order was taken efficiently and the food arrived in about 30 minutes. The room service cart was old with a wobbly wheel and the hotel staffer had a hard time rolling it into the room (and because of the wheel the table wasn't level). The salad and Boudreaux was excellent. The beef filet seemed to have received the airline galley reheat treatment that sucked out every drop of moisture. It was extraordinarily dry even though I had ordered medium rare. They offered different levels of internet speed in the room but the free option was very slow so cough up the EUR 20 per day for faster speeds if you want to not wait for a simple newspaper article to download. The next morning I went for a run in their tiny gym. I couldn't get in as my room key card would not unlock the door. I went back up to reception and as it was 6 am they only had one clerk at reception and I had to wait 5 minutes while he dealt with some apparently complicated check out (a lot of cash was involved in payment and hence the delay). Every minute was cutting into my run and when I finally got to speak with the clerk he told me that I had to specifically request that my key be activated to work in the gym. In 30 years of business travel I've never come across that requirement before. He told me that I should have been asked if I wanted access to the gym when I checked in, but I wasn't and I can't imagine that the check in clerks ask that with any regularity. Plus when I had checked online the night before the hotel's own web site simply said that hotel guests could access the gym with their key: no mention at having to specifically ask to get access. When I asked the clerk why this was a requirement he could only say it was "hotel policy." At arriving in the gym, there were no clean towels anywhere. Just a basket full of dirty ones. Not good. At about 6:45 a couple of employees arrived to wipe down equipment and bring some towels, but any early bird in the gym would be out of luck. Net net, for a ridiculous EUR 450 a night (thanks for nothing Paris Air show) I stayed in a long-in-the-tooth hotel that had been refurbished with a lot of purple and Erte but ultimately can't hide the fact that it's an old Hilton. A perfectly adequate hotel, but notwithstanding their own marketing is a long way from "Five Star" and would never be worth EUR 450 a night that I had to pay. I should have realized that this hotel having a vacancy in the midst of the Paris Air Show should have told me something.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SohoJohn
Dear Guest,
we would like to thank you for your very brief review of experiences regarding your stay with us during the period of Airshow.
At the first place, we apologize for all the inconveniences you have raised to have experienced in your feedback and please rest assured that the concerned department managers have taken them most seriously as we beleive it to remain as the best path for betterments.
Also we are sorry that the deep purple did not match your likes.

By means of explanation only regarding the key access to our Fitness centre, it is open during the day simultaneously with the SPA in our hotel. Except while the SPA is closed and because there is no one to survey on the requests of the guests, the access to fitness centre remains closed except our Front office was always informed that all our inhouse guests have a 24/7 access if they require and they are supposed to assure this information with the guest upon check in in-order to code the access on your key cards from the begining. I understand that this procedure has not been followed up and so the Front office manager is personally taking care to assure that the required information is passed correctly to every staff member.

Truly hoping to have a second chance to welcome you back in future and to meet your expectations, I request you to please contact me anytime you would wish to re-organize a return trip to our city.

With kind regards,

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed at this grand hotel as part of our APT River cruise trip. OMG it was just beautiful. The staff were friendly and helpful, it is centrally located to the major attractions, the rooms are spacious, modern and gorgeous. My husband and I walked plenty of klms around the city to view landmarks and had a great time. There are small supermarkets and plenty of restaurants fairly close by although we had a quick bite in the Bar area and it was well presented and tasted delicious. Breakfast was the same as most hotels where you serve yourself, it was nothing to write home about although the orange juice was lovely. If you want to splurge some time in a gorgeous hotel, I would recommend this one.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vicki B
guestrelationshdc, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel du Collectionneur, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for the courtesy of time taken in writing down your feel out of a happy experience after your stay at our property.

I am glad that our services and hotel met up with your expectations and returned your stay as a pleasant and enjoyable one. I learnt of your satisfaction with the location and I am happy that you were able to profit the best from our city and the property.

Wishing you many more such fabulous stays at our property, I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

With very warm regards from each one of us,

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a nice and luxury hotel in the middle of the 8th, in Paris. Walking distance to Champs Elissees, Metro 2 and Parc Monceau. Rooms are nicely furnished and decorated. Internet is real fast. Service is in most cases very very good. The only issue is that in most weeks there is a tour group will lots and lost of tourists swarming through the hotel, creating major queues ( eg: breakfast ). This is an issue for the business traveler. However, due to its location and nice facilities, I keep going back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

All your lovely comments concerning our services, image of hotel assured me once again of our never tiring enthusiasm and commitment, to live up to our property's mission, vision and values.

I would like to take this opportunity to foremostly assure you once again of the great value we place on your loyalty and to thank you for having recognized the contributions of our services
and for mentioning promising words of your return to our property.

Perhaps I could ask that you contact my office directly when planning your next trip to Paris so that I may personally oversee the details of your stay and so I will get to know our very valued guests in person.

With best wishes,

London
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel reminds me of a Black Sea resort c1990, a view confirmed when I saw a large number of Russian military at breakfast. One should always be wary of hotels that make a big deal of the fact they are five star. It may have the services but it doesn't have the service that goes with that badge.

Last night, 18 June, the hotel shut that water off at 11.30 at night. Arriving back late I couldn't have a shower or even brush my teeth. There was no warning of this at check in, just a note in the room, which I missed. This morning the water was back on but cold. Having been told it would warm up after 15 minutes, it didn't - an hour later it was still cold.

The attitude of the staff at check out was appalling. The compensation (my room was EUR490) consisted of waving the cost of the bottle of water I had taken from the mini-bar to use to brush my teeth.

There are some great five star hotels in Paris. This isn't one of them.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Andrew W
Dear Guest,

As one among those who constantly strive to meet the needs of our very valued guests like you, it is very disappointing to learn of your dissatisfaction and I request you to please accept my very sincere apologies for the obvious upset and inconvenience you had to experience during your recent stay at our hotel concerning the lack water supply.

By means of explanation only, the cut for water supply has not been organized in advance but as the system required an extremely important and immediate back up and regulations, we were obliged to make such a challenging decision with a hotel so full with very important and valued guest as you.

Following your constructive remarks and my follow up with details of how the entire situation has been handled, you are absolutely right in your assumptions that the hotel has failed to provide you with the service you quite rightly would expect from a hotel of our standards.
Understanding your disappointment towards the situation as well the compensation made upon check out but not being present in a position to discuss it further from where I am responding your review, I may perhaps suggest that you contact me directly at guestrelations@thegatecollection.com at your best convenience and I will be more than happy to oversee the details to my best ability.

Very much hoping to meet you in person in not so distant future and to regain your trust back in our services and property,

With my very warm regards,

Leawood, Kanasa USA
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a very nice hotel The only reason I am giving it a rating of 4 is because of the issues we had. Checking in was a nightmare. We were told 15 or 20 minutes, and that turned into nearly an hour and a half. I just wish they were honest about it so we could have gone outside and walked around. After about an hour a manager whisked us into the bar/lounge where we were treated to a glass of wine for our trouble.That was nice. We stayed 2 nights. Our first room had a non-working air conditioner. Someone came up to fix it but it still didn't work. The next day we mentioned it again and they sent someone up to work on it but it still wasn't fixed so they moved us to another room. Aside from these issues, it really was a nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank flwrpeep
Dear Guest,

I thank you so very much for your very satisfied comments following your recent stay with us.

Talking about the delay for checking in, I completely agree with you that we did not meet your expectations and what you said about being able to go around for a sight seeing instead of staying in the lobby for that long time is very disappointing and please rest assured dear guest, that we made a recall on our checking in details with delay to every receptionist has been made and also for the Air conditioning as I noticed an error in communication and follow up.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in person, I kindly request you to please do not hesitate to contact us for your future stays and our entire team will be at your availability to return you stay more enjoyable.

Regards,