“Decent hotel, but be prepared to haggle a bit.”

Hotel de France Invalides
Ranked #538 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 28 October 2012

My wife and I went to Paris for a mini honeymoon and stayed here. Overall, the hotel is friendly, clean, and small as is normal. It is about 5 minutes walk to the metro and 15 more minutes walk to the base of the Eiffel Tower. One good thing about the hotel is the breakfast buffet, which we paid as a part of our room. It is mostly continental with a pretty good selection. Also, you can make your own omelet on an electric stove (very easy) and they have a limited selection of vegetables for that purpose. Another practicality we enjoyed was the wireless, which was reliable in our room.

The two star off is for the hard-sell that I did not enjoy. I had booked a superior room with view of the Dome of the Invalides. When we arrived, instead of giving us a room, the staff insisted on showing us five different rooms, with varying sizes and views, with the least attractive one at the end - that been the room reserved for us. They then suggested to my new wife that we should get a better room since this is our honeymoon. I don't know if this is the normal practice, but it was difficult for me as a new husband to say no and not upgrade. And that was not all. The room reserved for us did not have a view of the dome because the tree in front of the window completed blocked the view of the Dome. When there is wind, you can see the dome's light shining through between the shuffling leafs, but otherwise you can't see the Dome at all. When I pointed this out to the staff, they simply insisted that there was a view of the dome. I know that in the U.S., people go to court to fight about obstructed view when a neighbor's tree or fence block a particularly good view, so I don't believe view of the Dome completely obstructed by trees can be called a view of the Dome. Anyway, I ended up haggling with them and paid for an upgrade at a price less than they originally offered. So I guess my advice is to haggle.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ben G

Reviewed 28 October 2012

This was my parents' and my last stop on a 19-day tour through France. I never saw my parents' room that they were happy with, but I had a single room, which was adequate though typically small (by American standards). It could have been cleaned slightly better but nothing to keep me from recommending it. In addition to being in a good location--near everything but not too crowded--their they bent over backward to help us with a variety of needs, and their breakfast was simply the best buffet out of seven hotels/inns throughout France and it was included in the price, I believe. My room looked onto a little courtyard and the windows opened, so there was light and fresh air but noise from traffic.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew_WNY
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The best thing about this hotel is definitely its staff. From check-in to check-out, they are dedicated to making your stay pleasant and comfortable. Breakfast is lovely and, if you dare, you've got the opportunity of frying your own egg.

Obviously, the rooms are on the small side, which sometimes means clambering over beds to get to other parts of the room but I suppose it's no big deal since the room is small anyway. You're in part of the room; you're in all parts of the room.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank WeeMan22
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We spent six nights at the Hotel de France Invalides and very much enjoyed our stay. The location of the hotel is excellent -- nearly across the street from Invalides, a short walk to the Eiffel Tower, and within a few blocks of a metro station. The rooms were small, as was to be expected, but clean. The front desk staff were helpful and multi-lingual. We enjoyed the breakfast downstairs, with a variety of breads, cheeses, etc. Overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank peter826
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Wonderful small hotel in a quiet but perfect location. Close to transportation and many lovely cafes. Room was a bit small, but adequate, and the extremely comfortable bed certainly made up for the lack of space. Would recommend this hotel to anyone searching for a hotel away from the hustle and bustle of the Champs Elysee, but also within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower and the Orsay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Christianne_12
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The location is convenient; five blocks from the Eiffel Tower, across the street from the Invalides Hotel. Most helpful to us, it was one block from the metro.

There was nothing special, but at the same time nothing at all to complain about. The staff was extremely responsive to all of our concerns.

The only problem was that there was much late-night noise from the restaurant kitchen. We were on the 5th floor, but we were there in hot weather and the windows had to stay opened.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bilawing
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We stayed here in mid-June with our 2 teenage daughters (got 2 double rooms). The Hotel is clean and well-run. Good wifi connection. The rooms vary; one of ours had a nice balcony with a view of Les Invalides and a good-sized bathroom; the other was not as nice, but still clean and adequate for our needs (how much time do you spend in the room, anyway?). This part of town is surprisingly quiet at night, so we could sleep with the windows open.

The thing that really made this a great place to stay was the staff. The gentleman at the front desk was friendly, charming, helpful, and efficient (and had a good sense of humor). He scheduled an early morning cab pickup, placed wake up calls for us, and helped us carry out our bags. It was 5 star service in a 2 star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family