“LOVED this hotel!”

Ranked #281 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Dublin, Ireland
“LOVED this hotel!”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This was an ideal location in which to stay for our two night break in Paris. It’s not cheap, granted, but it was really lovely. It’s very central and is literally minutes from the hop-on-hop-off bus stop, the Metro, shops, supermarkets, eating areas etc, and it right opposite the Sorbonne University. It’s a very different and interesting type of hotel and surrounds a lovely light-filled courtyard. We were greeted by a very pleasant receptionist on arrival and both check-in and check-out were prompt and uncomplicated. We got a room on the 5th floor overlooking the courtyard. We’d heard that the rooms in Paris hotels were small, and this was no exception but it was quite charming. Compact is the word I suppose! Our bathroom was well stocked, including built-in hairdryer. Internet, and other information is available through the television set and there is free WiFi throughout the hotel. We had an excellent sleep on both nights. Our accommodation was on a room-only basis and we did take breakfast in the hotel on the morning of our departure. This was €13 per person. Not cheap either, but we wanted to try it out. You have to let the receptionist know in advance (i.e. the evening before) if you wish to have breakfast the following morning. Breakfast is in a charming little kitchen-type room and you can cook your own small crepes or eggs, whichever you choose to do. This is by means of an electrically heated griddle pan. There is fresh crusty bread and croissants brought to your table, along with some fruit. There are yogurts, cereal, ham, cheese and dried fruits from which to choose. It was an interesting experience to say the least. Seems the only tea that is served in Paris is Early Grey, and I dislike it intensely. It makes me feel like I am drinking a cup of perfume! Couldn’t wait to get home and have a proper cup of tea. There was only one negative aspect to our stay in this hotel - there were no tea or coffee making facilities in our room. This really is a must, and I’d even brought some tea bags and coffee. We don’t know if this is something that’s common across Paris or perhaps it was just in the Hotel Design. Having said that, we loved the hotel and would highly recommend it to anybody intending to visit Paris. Check-out is mid-day and they locked our bags away for us until we were ready to collect them before travelling to the airport in the early evening. We will definitely stay here when we come back to visit this beautiful city.

1 Thank DubTwosome

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My wife and I spent the weekend in Paris between business trips. Having only 2 days we wanted a hotel that was easily accessible to metro and good walking areas. This hotel filled the bill. 3 minutes to Luxembourg gardens. Minutes to the metro, Latin Quarter, anywhere you want to go. It is a safe area, fresh markets are just minutes away. The rooms are a typical European room. The internet was complimentary and never went out. Air conditioning worked quite well. We did not have the breakfast but there were many guests that did partake. We will stay here again, next time in Paris.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Directly opposite the Sorbonne. 5-10 mins to Notre Dame and then can walk up past Louvre to Champs Élysées, Arc de Triomphe and then Eiffel Tower. Then jump on the train for the few stops home. Ate breakfast at hotel one morning and was good but very easy to get coffee and croissant in the square just 2 mins down the road. Definitely recommend the hotel. We had a superior room - very little free space but comfy bed and nice bathroom. Friendly staff!

Room Tip: Ask for superior room. I think they have a slightly bigger bed.
Toronto
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stayed at Hotel Design de la Sorbonne last month for 6 nights. When I arrived at the hotel I was told that the hotel was upgrading me from a single room to a double room at no extra charge because I was staying for 6 nights. I found that all the employees of this hotel (breakfast room, front desk, cleaning staff) were very kind and helpful. The hotel is very stylish, clean and in a great location. Most of the main attractions of Paris are within walking distance of the hotel. And the beautiful Sorbonne University is just outside the front door of the hotel. Carlotta informed me that I needed to book my transportation to the airport early in the week in order to ensure that I had a ride. And she went ahead and took care of booking a taxi for me. If I ever return to Paris I will definitely stay at this wonderful hotel!

Room Tip: Second floor on the courtyard.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We had a lovely time in this hotel. The staff treated us like acquaintances rather than "guests"-meaning they were respectful of the fact that we were guests, but were happy to point us to places and events we might not have seen or done without their help. The hotel chain (there are five) has a helpful blog which I would recommend even if you stay elsewhere. The property itself is gorgeous, combining modern and art nouveau elements seamlessly and artfully into a lovely fusion of old and new. Will definitely stay here again when in Paris; the location (2 blocks from the Luxembourg Gardens) cannot be beat.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed here for 3 night in September. Our room on the first floor was small, but decorated very tastefully. The bathroom was also small, but very typical of Paris hotels. Everything was clean and we did not have any complaints. The staff was friendly and the hotel is in an excellent location. They offered us breakfast at 50% off the fist day. I read on the information provided on the computer in the room that they had continental breakfast or buffet. We wanted the continental breakfast and did not eat any of the buffet but were still charged for the buffet unfortunately. Otherwise, this hotel is great and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Belfast, Ireland
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Brought my mum to this hotel - for her 1st ever trip to Paris & we loved it. The staff were so helpful especially Elie and Francois who we tended to get on the front desk during our stay - they couldn't do enough for you. The location of the hotel was fabulous & I would definitely stay in this area again - from the Pantheon at the top of the street to the jardin de Luxembourg at the bottom and Notre Dame within a 10-15 min walk couldn't have asked for more.
The room itself was beautifully decorated, and cleaned each day we were there - wifi was a bonus - only negative with the mac (which is a great idea) is that the volume on ours kept going up and down - the voice disappearing for anything up to half an hour at a time. But we were only in the hotel to sleep really! Our airport shuttle was organised at the front desk with no problems.
Would highly recommend.