“Location, location, location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Design Sorbonne
Ranked #285 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Great location for the metro, attractions such as Notre Dame..only about a 10 minute walk away! And the Louvre and Musee D'orsay would be about 25 minutes away. Lovely nearby restaurants and cafes. The staff are all very friendly and happy to help. Rooms are nice but compact, after all it is Paris. Would highly recommend

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

I can't thank the staff at this hotel enough, they spoke great English and were extremely polite which is refreshing as the service in restaurants wasn't as friendly!! Our room was superb, clean and beautiful, I'd recommend anyone coming for business, solo or couples. The location was amazing, you had 3 metro's close by but we walked to most places where we could. Only 10 mins to the Notre Dame and 15 to the Marais.

Room Tip: We were lucky to have a suite but then changed rooms to have an extended stay in a classic which was...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Average Parisian hotel at a good location. Stayed 4 nights at this hotel in October 2013. I visited Paris 5 times in 2013. This is my least favorite hotel.
Pros:
1) Great rate when book through facebook, rate includes continental breakfast
2) Heater in the room works very well in October
3) Convenient location to St Germain, short walk to the Metro
4) Front desk staff is friendly
5) Free usage of umbrella during rainy days
6) Good WIFI
Cons:
1) Bathroom/shower is smaller than the typical Parisian hotels, maneuvering in the shower may be difficult.
2) Mattress needs replacement. It gave me a backache after 2 nights. I could feel the springs of the mattress. Would not stay again until the mattress is replaced.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Tulip T
Malta, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

We had decided, rather last minute, on a trip to Paris just after Christmas and it was difficult finding a hotel for the nights we needed and the rooms we needed for a reasonable price. We had something booked but I still searched for something that looked nicer and was still reasonable. Finally came across this on Tripadvisor and was excited to find that they had winter special rates, that were close to or actually beat the other hotel we had booked and the Design looked nicer from the pictures.

Getting to and from this hotel was a breeze thanks to public transit in France. When we arrived at the CDG airport around 8am we hopped on the RER Line B to the Luxembourg stop, and walked from there. We did get turned around and the street the hotel is on is very small and hard to find on the maps. It is also so small that any of the locals we asked had never heard of the hotel or the street. (If you do get lost looking for this hotel, just ask for Place de la Sorbonne instead, because that is the more main part of the same street, it only becomes Rue Victor Cousin for about a block and no local knew about it). Eventually a nice local who barely spoke English led us most of the way and we finally found the hotel. The sign for the hotel is also very small so you may not see it from far away, but it is a stones throw from the entrance to the Sorbonne University.

The lobby area is very small. The front desk staff all speak great English, and they persisted speaking to me in English even though I wanted to use this trip to practice my many years of learning French. They are very nice and helpful, though. The lobby was also approximately 95 degrees farenheit at all times. I am someone who is always freezing cold, and I was extremely uncomfortable upon being in the lobby for a few seconds. I have heard this is somewhat the norm in Paris, which I thought was horrible especially because there was unseasonably warm weather when we were there.

The elevator is about the size of an average American. OK, maybe not, depending on who you know... but it was too small to fit more than one piece of luggage and one person at a time. There are 6 floors in this hotel, and our rooms were on the fifth floor. There is a small spiral staircase that starts to make you dizzy once you've gotten to the third floor. It was great exercise but again, with the general temperature of the lobby and halls I was dying by the time I got to my room. Which was also very very small but I was excited to see that the color scheme of my room was the gorgeous teal seen in the pictures. The decor is just so refreshing. There is a desk with an Apple computer that also serves as your television. I had a front facing room with french door window that offered a magnificent view of the street below. There is no clunky heat/cool unit as I was accustomed to in US hotels, but there is a unit on the wall that you can turn a knob and heat comes on. It is hard to regulate, as another reviewer mentioned. It is either off or it is stifling warm. Most nights I realized it was best if I had the heat on a little bit with the window cracked open.

The bathroom is probably the most negative part of this hotel to me. I am a pretty small girl, I don't require much space, but I could barely move without elbowing the walls in the shower. It's hard to get in and out because the doors have handles on them so they don't open all the way out, and the one door doesn't have much swing room before it hits the approximately 5x15" sink situated long ways against the wall. I couldn't sit on the toilet without also hitting both the sink and the toilet paper holder. This was my first trip to Paris or Europe at all so I do not have anything to compare the size to.

I found the room clean and the bed comfortable enough. Noise was a bit of an issue, if I spoke the same language as my neighbors, I'd have been able to hear their entire conversations. They also showered and used their hair dryer past midnight every night and while normally I can block noises out by turning on an AC/heating unit in a hotel here in the US, there was nothing for that here.

The hotel is literally minutes walk from the Seine, Notre Dame, the Conciergerie, Sainte Chappelle... everything is so accessible. We barely had to take the metro, we mostly walked everywhere. It is very easy to navigate once you've walked around a couple of times. There is a great restaurant a few blocks from the hotel called Brasserie Balzar, it is a great place for both dinner and breakfast. There are lots of great little souvenir shops near the Place St Michel as well.

We were here for New Year's Eve and the hotel had little desserts and hors d'oeuvres for the guests. The macarons they had were the absolute best we had out of any we tried in Paris. I wish I knew where they'd come from!The hotel also offers breakfast in the small eating area, it is 13 euros I believe. Most places around offer "breakfast" for 8.5 euros which consists of a hot beverage, orange juice, a croissant, a piece of toast, and butter and jam. I found this to be the absolute best at Balzar. We did try to have breakfast in the hotel one morning but the area which was already ridiculously warm was made even warmer by the breakfast irons they had running so we left and went elsewhere.

I would definitely recommend the hotel for the reasonable price and the location. It felt like a very safe area, even late at night. It was a very enjoyable experience for my first trip to Paris, and I cannot wait to return!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Stefanie G
Marlborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

This is a friendly little hotel, with a great location behind the Sorbonne, in a very quiet street.
Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was quite small, but bed was comfortable. Metro St Michel is 7 mins walk away. Breakfast better taken in a cafe opposite the Pantheon (costs half)
Good place - would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Arnoldbakers
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

From the minute we arrived the staff were so friendly and so helpful, they were a credit to the Hotel. The location was perfect, only a five minute walk from Notre Dame. The hotel was modernly furnished which was great.
The only complaint would have to be that the door frames and ceilings were very low, if over 6", like myself, you will bump your head a few times! The rooms were spotless but on the small side.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Paris for the weekend, I would definitely go back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

For a small supplement the reception proposed us a room of superior category what was completed because that reserved was a little bit small.Excellent position close to places of interest. Wide selection of restaurants nearby. The staff of the hotel is very welcoming and of sound advice. . Globally very satisfied.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business