“J'adore Hotel Le Notre Dame! Fantastic Stay in the heart of Paris”

Hotel le Notre Dame
Ranked #259 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 2 May 2014

If you look at my previous reviews you will notice that they are all (or most of them at least!) very positive, which does not mean I am easy to please or not critical enough. I simply do a lot of research before booking and then, really, hope for the best knowing I did my part- the rest is up to the hotel to live up to the hype and expectations. So far, I've been lucky I guess. To put things into perspective, I probably put in 3 solid months of research into my hotel choice in Paris (fine, call me crazy but it was a VERY important trip). Truth be told, they had me at Christian Lacroix decor. Hand to God, I was extremely skeptical of the "Notre Dame views" as pictured on the website, and the 3* rating kept me feeling insecure..."it is too good to be true". We walked in and it was like we walked into their website pictures. Granted, everything is smaller than it originally looked but you have to get over it because you are in Europe. Within minutes I was wondering where their 4th star is at? This is not a 3* property as it outshines most 4* that you can find hands down. And yes, it does have an elevator! Our room (22) was spectacular. Again, on the smaller side but I told you to get over it- it is actually quite enough. We had ample room to get comfortable even though we stayed in Paris for the last week of our one month long trip (in other words we had a LOT of luggage!). I usually will not be caught dead walking barefoot on hotel floors or let any part of my body touch the coverlet for example, but this place was so clean that I felt no reason to worry. The room was cleaned EVERY day which may be overkill but it sure is nice to come back to a made bed and fresh towels after a day on the town. I looked in every corner and behind every curtain and could not find any dust or dirt. The decor is so unique and fun, and the bed is so comfortable you will have a seriously hard time leaving the room in the mornings. Bathroom is really generous and impeccably clean and we also quite enjoyed the toiletries. The only issue we had with it is the fact that while showering you will most likely spray the water everywhere! I get that this is probably part of the modern minimalist design, but there must be something that can be done to prevent it. We, of course, figured it out and it really wasn't a big deal or a deal breaker, but I don't want you thinking I am telling you only the great things. If I was to give one suggestion that would be a couple of extra shelves in the bathroom, a couple of more pieces of smart storage in the room (minimalist on the outside, storage on the inside- like the desk) and some hooks for coats in the hallway. I think this can all be done without compromising CL vision, but then again most people would probably be quite ok with the current set up (like I said- we were "fully loaded" for a month of travelling so I may be biased). The absolute best part, of course, is the Notre Dame view. Not only that it is exactly as pictured but it is quite something to wake up to. I would spend 10-15 minutes each day at the window just watching the world happen in front of me. Yes, it can get loud when the windows are open but isn't that the whole point: to hear and feel Paris? For sensitive ears, when the windows are closed you cannot hear anything. Regarding security...yes, you are required to leave your room key whenever you leave the hotel like in most Paris hotels. When I first heard about this, I was a little...aggravated. However, after a couple of days in Paris listening to all the warnings about pickpockets (even in churches!) and realizing that somebody is ALWAYS at the reception no matter what time you come back- I think this is the best idea and we happily conformed. It is also important to note that nobody comes into the hotel unnoticed, and that the hotel is locked at 10 or 11pm every night. All you have to do is ring the doorbell and if they recognize you on camera (which they will!) you are in! :) Moreover, our safety deposit box went on a bit of a fritz and we were unable to lock it for a couple of days- not a problem! Then when it finally locked it would not open, and the Staff would not open it without us present even though I said that was perfectly fine. Being infinitely paranoid when traveling thanks to all the city reviews I've read- I absolutely love this place! It has absolutely everything going for it including the location (views, proximity to metro even though we haven't set foot on it but once) and notably the Staff. Not only that they put up with my attempts at speaking French but they made our trip so much more enjoyable. For example, after they overheard we are celebrating our anniversary we were greeted by a card, champagne and chocolates in our room that very night. They arranged all our cab rides, helped us decide on what to do, and revealed some lesser known sights that are not to be missed. They always asked us about our day and made us feel truly welcome. On our last day, Julie asked us if we knew what terminal we were flying from and we had absolutely no idea. She just said "ok, no problem!" and came back with ALL of our flight information printed out on a small piece of paper that I could easily retrieve for reference. I was even more impressed when she sent the shuttle driver away because he came for us early and we were still having breakfast. Yes they take care of you until you leave with your suitcases! Big thank you to all of them (if they read this), especially Julie and Simmone. Judging by older reviews I think this place has improved immensely over the last couple of years. I really believe they deserve every bit of recognition they get, like the Trip Advisor certificate of excellence for 2013. You can pay a lot more for a hotel in Paris and not get what you will get here. When you walk out on the street you have all the history and culture right in front of you and the foody/party culture right behind you in the Latin Quarter. Not only that this is a great choice in Paris, but this may be our only consideration on the next trip to Paris. Look no further, I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the room with a view of Notre Dame. Unforgettable! Breakfast is worth it (especi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LadyLuxe14
simorar, Responsable relations clients at Hotel le Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Neda,

What a joy to welcome guests like you at the Hotel Le Notre Dame. Thank you so much for your positive review about us and our property.

Our rooms are not very big indeed, however, we make sure that they are well maintained and clean every day for the comfort of our clientele ! As you well explain regarding the water which goes out of the shower, sometime Modern Design things are not the most pratical ! (Please also note that the safe was update and battery changed, so no more problem)

The staff and I are very glad to keep working hard to advise and assist you with whatever you need !

If you do have any suggestions to make, feel free to contact whenever you like. That would be our pleasure to respond to you.

We hope to welcome very soon!

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I loved this quirky, boutique hotel. Make sure you book a room with views of Notre Dame and the Seine, as it's quite something to wake up to the sound of the bells chiming in the morning. Other reviews mention the street noise, but with the windows shut I really didn't notice - plus the bed was so comfy it was easy to fall straight to sleep! I also thought the room was a great size compared to other Paris hotels and had a really nice bathroom. The location is excellent - the RER station is just across the road which links to CDG airport and is near St Michel and Odeon Metro stations (I chose to walk to Odeon when travelling to Sacre Couer as it was a smaller/less confusing station!). This hotel is within easy walking distance of attractions such as the Louvre, Musee D'orsay, Pompidou centre and the Shakespeare and co bookshop is minutes away (a must see for book lovers!) I recommend taking the Batobus hop on, hop off water taxi if you want to get your bearings - it's a much nicer way to tour around main sites than a bus as sailing down the Seine is lovely. (there's a stop minutes away across from Notre Dame). You will also be spoiled for choice for places to eat round about. Staff also very friendly. Only possible downside of the rooms are the thin walls, (I could hear person coughing next door at one point), but thankfully had generally quiet neighbours so didn't bother me. Would definitely return here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Vikki G

Bonjour,

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in a cosy room with an amazing view.

We are very well located, right in the center of the city ,walking distance from a lot of attractions. But Indeed with « Saint Michel » and « Saint michel-Notre Dame » stations ( accross the street) you have an easy access to visit the best monuments and museums in Paris.

In our Hotel the staff will advise you on the best place to eat in this busy but safe part of the city of light.

Thank you for sharing your kind words on trip advisor.

We really hope to see you again

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Just arrived back in England following a brilliant stay at this hotel. Perfect location in the middle of Paris with great transport links, looking at Notre Dame, with the Latin Quarter on the doorstop. Personally I think the hotel deserves more than a 3-star rating! Friendly and personable receptionists who phoned restaurants for us and couldn't have been more helpful. Our room request for a view of the cathedral and the Seine was granted - room 42 is beautiful! Cosy but lovely bedroom and surprisingly good bathrooms for Paris.

The view really cannot be beaten and we will definitely be returning here on our next trip to Paris!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Bonjour,

The entire Team is delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us at Hotel Le Notre Dame !

The hotel is indeed very well situated by the Latin Quarter where you can enjoy visits, restaurants, and shopping area.

We do our best to satisfy all guests request and make them feel as comfortable as possible.

Thank you so much for your great feedback .If you are coming again to Paris in the future, please feel free to contact us.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Great location, amazing views, very well decorated and comfortable. This hotel beats most four stars (globally) and will be the only place I consider staying the next time I visit Paris.

Saint-Michel Notre Dame metro/RER station is literally across the road (lines 4 and B respectively), providing a direct line to Paris CDG airport and all major attractions. One of them, Notre Dame, is right outside the window providing great views that include the cathedral, the Seine, Shakespeare & Co. book shop and more.

Behind the hotel you've got the buzzing Latin Quarter, great for an evening stroll and a reasonably priced meal (make sure you look around though, it's a bit of a tourist trap). In front, the Islands are easily walkable and worth a visit.

Hotel staff were very helpful when I asked for help making a table reservation in broken French and were able to answer all questions regarding locations, travelling times, etc.

Paris is known for small rooms with terrible bathrooms. Well, the rooms aren't huge, but you won't need anything bigger. As for the bathrooms: very modern, clean, good shower, very pleasant!

You could easily pay double for less in this city - look no further.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex P

Dear Sir,

Thank for your nice and warm review! You well summarized the Hotel Le Notre Dame.

We are located right outside the Cathedrale, just in front of the RER and Metro Station and walking distance of major attraction. Our rooms are not very big; however, they are well decorated, cosy, and offer you everything needed during your stay in Paris.

Our hotel staff is here to give you advise for restaurants and avoid the tourist traps. All the team love their work and we all like to welcoming people to make their stay easy.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

My wife and I spent the Easter holidays in Paris this year and were so lucky to get a room at this hotel.
The location is exceptional.
The RER train from the Airport stops literally outside the hotel door and it is so central that you can walk from there to all the spots you wish to see.
Of course the room was not big, but that´s just how things are in Paris, and the elevator is not for riding with strangers, it is that small.
The bed was very good and the bathroom as well and the view is really something to write home about.
All in all, a really nice hotel in the heart of Paris with nice staff, and good but small rooms.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel Le Notre Dame Paris and for your kind words regarding the location and the staff.

Our rooms are not very big, because we are an historic building, however there are well equiped and clean.

The location is really good for tourism, safe and easy access from main train station and Airport .It is really convenient! Thank you for pointing this out.

We all thank you very much and we hope we will have the chance to welcome you again,

All the best,

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great location, quiet, comfortable, friendly. Take the double rooms with a view over the river and Notre Dame. Its great for the bars and restaurants in the streets behind. See the show at the Moulin Rouge really impressed. Take the hop on hop off bus its great value and easy. Enjoy, I want to go back :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank LoveASunset
simorar, Responsable réception at Hotel le Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Bonjour,
First of all thank you for your review and for your compliments on our location. We are happy that you spend an nice stay with us .Your comments are very important to us, as they assist us to keep focus on customer satisfaction. Everyday we do our best to satisfy all guest helping them to organize their stay, giving them direction and advice . Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We had less than 24 hours to spend in Paris and chose this hotel because of its proximity to many tourist attractions. It's located right on the Seine, across the street from Notre Dame and a few minutes from the Louvre. The metro station is literally across the alley from the hotel, so we could quickly get to the Eiffel Tower and back to Gare du Nord in the morning. Since the hotel is right in the heart of tourist action, it's not quiet at night. That said, it enabled us to pack a lot of Paris into just a few hours, and we were even able to buy tacky souvenirs in shops next door to the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask the staff for dining recommendations. At check-in we asked for a good pla...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wendy S

Dear Madam,
It was a pleasure to read your nice review about your stay at Hotel le Notre Dame. We would like to thank you for taking the time to write these details about your experience in our Parisian hotel.
You are right, it is a good value considering the central location.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again for a longer stay.
Warmest regards,