“Cheap, good location”

Hotel Les Chansonniers
Ranked #1,365 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Yes this is a budget hotel so don't expect all of the bells and whistles. We needed a place to stay for two nights and this was perfect for what we needed, especially for the price. It is an old building but our room and everything else was clean. The room was small with a small private bathroom. We didn't spend that much time in the room so I didn't care that it was small. The bed was comfortable which is important and the location is great (2 blocks from Pere Lachaise Cemetery). Close to a metro and easy to get to and from the airport. The staff was very friendly and the 7 euro breakfast is good and cheaper than anything else you will be able to find. My husband is a musician and he got to play the piano they have there. One night there was an impromptu jam session with him on piano, someone on the acoustic guitar and a vocalist. The bar/ cafe in the lobby really creates a communal atmosphere. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kimberly444

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Arriving on the last Thalys train of the day we just needed a cheap place to rest our heads for a few hours. Hotel is located in a lively neighbourhood, mostly frequented by locals and about 3 minutes walk to the nearest metro station (Ménilmontant). Our room (with shared bathroom) had a mouldy smell upon entering with a very small bed (not even 1.20m !), flat screen TV and 'bidet et lavabo', which was small but handy. Most important though: the room was clean.

Useful info:
-> We took a taxi from Gare du Nord to the hotel (night rate) which cost us 9.80€.
-> When crossing Paris by metro, make sure you buy a 'Carte Mobilis': available at the information desk in almost every metro station. Ménilmontant (closest to the hotel) has one. For 1 day unlimited use of metro zone 1-2 (centre) you pay 6.80€ per person. Paris has one of the easiest metro systems in the world, I would certainly recommend using !

Overall I believe, looking at the ridiculously expensive hotel prices in Paris, this is (unfortunately) the best you get for rates between 50 to 60€. I would not go back though, I'd rather pay some more and get a good night sleep. Even for 1 night...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I stay in a lot of budget hotels and usually have the opinion of 'you get what you pay for' and give these places high scores. However on this occasion I could not. The cost was about £50 a night which is a good price for a city and being so close to a metro line which takes 20 mins or less to the main tourist attractions. We had a tiny shower in our room which you could just about get in but there was plenty of hot water and the area comes alive at night with bars and restaurants, not to mention the fantastic bakery next door! The not so good points are we got barely and sleep the 2 nights we were there because there was still plastic on the mattress which creaked everytime we moved, the walls were so thin we could hear people 3 rooms down and there are doors slamming all night. If I returned to Paris I would pay a bit extra and stay somewhere I could get some sleep!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelcat131983
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I have to say that I checked in at the Les Chansonnier hotel with a different feeling than when I checked out.
My problem with it perhaps was that I had tried splendid hotels and B&B in Italy, UK, Egypt and Turkey, and came to that hotel with an idea that this would be as fabulous in terms of look and atmosphere and of course accommodation style. Well it wasn't. It was far less fancy in terms of bedroom size, location in Paris, and off course look and feel. But nevertheless cozy and clean.
The hotel is old and rooms are extremely small. Not as small as the rooms you see in cruise ships, but only slightly larger. The sink is only large enough to take my hands and faucet too low. I did not get a bathroom in the room, so we had to use a public rest room. This was very awkward to me but I didn't face anything disturbing especially that the management made sure they are cleaned regularly.
The hotel is at a corner and you will see two entrances, one to a small cafe/bar, and another which is the main entrance to the hotel. The bar does have a side door leading up to the hotel. If you enter from the second door you will find no reception, no one waiting for you. There is a second door by the way where the handle or door knob is way down, almost 50 cm from the floor. I wonder why. Anyway, we learned that the reception is at the same bar. To reach our room we had to climb a lot of stairs to the 2nd floor. Anyway, enough describing the not so fancy hotel.
What we liked about it, is that we stayed in an area where you see different sorts of Parisians mixed together in a pub, a cafe, or restaurant in an area that is not such a tourist attraction. SO you would actually meet the rest of the Parisians whom you don't see at tourist places.
The Hotel was almost full and most of the customers were not French but from other European countries. the majority said they liked their stay there.
One thing to add is that it is conveniently located near a nice collection of restaurants and cafes, and most importantly 2 minutes walk away from the sub way! So you would not be totally cut out from the heart of the city.
Finally, and most importantly, the owners and management of the Hotel were very friendly and helpful. If I visit Paris again I may like to try a different place for the sake of trying something different but would surely visit again on a Saturday night to listen to the live music and singing over there.

Room Tip: Take a room with a private bathroom in it.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mazen K
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I expected a lot worse when I found out how much we paid to stay here. It was fantastic! The room was very spacious, the staff were very friendly and very helpful considering that none of us spoke French.
Clean and very close to the underground station.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Izak P
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We were very lucky that we visited over a bank holiday as there is building work going on. The breakfast is satisfactory for €7,50. The rooms have poor lighting and are quite tired and dated but seemed clean. We had a room with our own bathroom which was good and had a little hair dryer in it. We had a LOVELY memory foam mattress! There was no view from our room but we didn't mind.
The area was nice and quiet and the hotel is only a minutes walk from the nearest Metro. There's loads of cafe's, bars and restaurants (including McDonalds and Subway!) in the area and they are reasonably priced as it's not a very touristy area!
We had a nice stay and no problems, the free WiFi downstairs was brilliant but not available in our room. We also had a fridge in our room but it didn't work!

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Puddle_duck86
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My partner and I (27, 24 y.o), stayed here for two nights after arriving from KL. It was fine, the rooms are quite small, but we just needed a place to a) dump our bag, b) sleep, and c) close to a Metro. The Metro is a 2 min walk away and is on the same line as Sacre Couer, which was handy. There is a bar/restuarant downstairs that does breakfast (we didn't have it, although it looked good, not sure of the price). We were there on a Saturday night and they had the bar going, we couldn't hear any of the noise in our room though. Our room had toilet, but we used the ones in the corridor. The shower room is in the corridor as well - it was always clean and looks reasonably new - great shower pressure.

We checked in earlier than we were supposed to (this was only because our flight arrived at 9am, and after 13 hours of flying I just wanted to put our bags down). The lady was nice, she did mention this though. The coffees were good there and there is a chat (cat) that sits around the restuarant which is quite cute.
The place was one of the cheapest, central hotels (we didn't want to stay in dorms), so it was good for us.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, perhaps ask for the second floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple