“Horrible, disgusting place”
Review of Le Regent Hostel

Le Regent Hostel
Ranked #11 of 181 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I have stayed at many hostels, and this is by far the worst one I have ever been to. It is absolutely filthy, the showers are full of mold, there was urine on the floor in the restroom, bathrooms are only on every other floor. I felt disgusting and dirty taking a shower. The breakfast, that they advertise as being a "buffet", is not one at all. They only allow you to take one croissant or one roll, and half of the time they were out of both. It is the loudest hostel I have ever been to, and the staff does not care to keep it quiet for the guests. People were literally screaming at the top of their lungs well past 2AM. The rooms are dark, crowded, and filthy. The blankets feel dirty, and I could not use it. I did not sleep at this hostel because of the noise, and I found the staff to be quite rude. This is the worst hostel I have been to in my tour of Europe, and I would never recommend this to anybody. Truly a horrible experience.

Room Tip: Just do not go here!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank JennyM1989
Amiel C, Guest relation assistant at Le Regent Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear JennyM1989,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your experience at Le regent Hostel. I tried to contact you to get more details in order to improve our service but we haven't hear anything back from you. I would to let you know of the few changes that we made thanks to your feedback.
First the mold is unacceptable, it was priority number 1 for our maintenance crew. It has being taking care of.
The cleanliness of the hostel and the friendliness of the staff is a matter that we take very seriously as we pride ourselves to have one of the most attentive and friendly staff in Paris. A staff meeting was organized and let me assure you that we won't let you down anymore.

We would love to hear from you and have the opportunity to show you how great Le Regent Hostel truly is.
You can reach me at amiel@hiphophostel.com.

Kind regards,

Amiel

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed in a shared room of 4 which was approximately £20 a night per person.
The location was amazing, really close to many bars, shops and metro stops.
The staff were helpful and friendly. There was a lot of communal space. My only criticism was that you had to keep logging into the wifi which was annoying but other than that a great hostel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Right from the start, the staff was unfriendly and were not very accommodating. The first room we were in was a 5-person dorm, and the bathrooms were gross, and the blankets were gross. The staff only gives you one code for Wifi, so if you have a computer as well as a phone, you can only use your wifi on one device at a time. This was frustrating because every time you wanted to switch devices, you had to log out on one device, and login on the other. After a couple friends left, we were in a 3 person room, which was MUCH better. Overall, I wouldn't recommend staying there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Taylor L,

Thank you for taking time to post your review on tripAdvisor. We are sorry that Le Regent Hostel didn't meet your expectations but thanks to feedbacks like yours we are able to improve our service.
I tried to contact you to hear more details from you but I haven't hear anything back so let me update you about a few changes that we made.
We thoroughly train our staff to be the most friendly and give the customer the best experience possible in our hostel, we have spoken about this matter at the most recent staff meeting.
Regarding the Wifi, we are currently changing the all system, the problem should be solved very shortly.

I would love hear from you and please let me know when is your next trip to Paris, we would love to see you again at Le Regent Hostel and prove you that your feedback was taken very seriously.
You ca reach me at amiel@hiphophostels.com.

Kind regards,

Amiel.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Most disgusting place I have ever stayed in. 6 people sharing one toilet that did not work. Roommates coming in drunk all hours of the night. Wifi does not work in rooms and was never given sheets. Carpets are filthy and black mold in the bathrooms. God help me that I may never have the misfortune of ever having to stay in such a hellhole again. I need a shower just having written the mere thought about this place.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Laetitia-Manager, Manager at Le Regent Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to us. Our customers are of extreme importance to us and our aim is to improve our service that's why your comment is so important to us.
We always do our best to make everybody's stay as nice and fun as possible and that's why we're sorry to read that your stay wasn't as expected.

Our rooms are cleaned every day and we are studying solutions against the mould in some bathroom. Usually when a technical problem is reported we try our best to fix it asap. So I don't understand what's happen about the toilets and I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

Concerning the wifi access to the rooms, it's usually working properly but we are still trying to improve it.

About the other people drunk sharing the room, unfortunately we can't be responsible of the behaviour of our guests. But if you came to the reception to inform our duty receptionnist, he would have take action.

We assure that we're trying to improve our service every day to be better to make our guest's stay wonderful. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again for you to verify how much we improve with your comment.

Best Regards,

Laëtitia

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed at 2 different hostels in Paris (just felt like a change, not due to bad experiences). This one is incredibly close to the metro station (you can see it when you walk out the door of the hostel), and uses room cards (or the buzzer) to get into the main door - 2 great elements to increase safety.
I had booked to stay in a 6 bed room, at a very reasonable price, but this became even more reasonable when I walk into my room to find only 3 beds! There was a small table and chair in the room, as well as a mirror; and the bathroom was very spacious (for a hostel) and very clean! There was a bath and shower in one (haven't ever seen a bath in a hostel before)!
The desk staff were really friendly, and there were rooms to store bags before check in and after check out - I took advantage of both and everything was fine.
Breakfast and wifi came free, the wifi was really good and worked in the room - you get one code which you can use for about 20 days or something so it's great! The breakfast was very simple (Croissant or a roll with a hot drink) although I came to find this was just a Paris thing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights in 3 bed dorm with own bathroom. Directions to the hostel are a little confusing from their website, it will take you 10 min to stroll there. Staff were really friendly, the breakfast is good and reasonable space to eat. This is probably the most social point for this hostel. Our room was 3x4m and was clean/ tidy. Area wise it is super handy to the Anvers metro station, the area is safe enough but towards Barbers is a little rough avoid that at night.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple