“Great value in a central location with friendly staff”
Review of Hotel du Levant

Hotel du Levant
Ranked #191 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I had a very pleasant stay at Hotel du Levant on my solo trip to Paris. I was in single room #20 on the "second" floor (3rd floor for Americans). I booked at their cheapest rate (73 Euros) which included breakfast. I must say that this was quite a bargain. The room was small, of course, but not as small as I had imagined. The decor seemed a bit tired and dated, but everything was clean. The bed was very comfortable, the air conditioning worked great, and the shower had strong water pressure and plenty of hot water. The room was also very quiet. I heard no outside noise and almost nothing from the hallway or rooms adjacent to me.

The staff of the hotel were very friendly and every desk clerk I encountered spoke English well. I didn't know much French, and they were very accomodating. The breakfast was just fine, with the standard bread, ham, cheese, cereal, etc. One thing that impressed me was the orange juice. It was definitely 100% juice and tasted great - and I could get unlimited refills!

There were just a few issues with the room - I had a difficult time getting the showerhead fixed the way I wanted, and the phone in the room didn't work. The clerk at reception allowed me to make a call from the front desk.

The location of the hotel is excellent, but be warned that you will be right in the middle of a very busy and touristy part of town. The streets around the hotel are "pedestrian" and have dozens of restaurants - everything from French to Italian to Greek to Japanese. Just about anything you want is less than a 3 minute walk. There are also lots of students in the area, since the Sorbonne University is close by. A great internet cafe is just down the street from the hotel.

I would definitely recommend Hotel du Levant for a single, first-time visitor to Paris. Notre Dame is just a five-minute walk away, and there are two metro stations very close to the hotel. If you want to be in a less busy/touristy part of town, stay somewhere else. If you want a quiet, comfortable place in the center of the action, Hotel du Levant is the place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank wesbw
Write a ReviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed 23 January 2009

HOTEL DU LEVANT –PARIS
BEST LOCATION

The location ,location, location .Two minutes walk from the Place St Michel Metro station from where the RER Express subway takes us directly to Charles de Gaulle airport .Five minutes walk to Notre Dame cathedral and the same to
St . Germain des Près or to the rue de Buci area, studded with interesting restaurants .
The rooms and bathroom are small but spotlessly clean and adequately modern. There’s plenty of hot water .The rates are reasonable for the area and include a pleasant ,continental breakfast .We’re going back in May.
Paul +Boop : Canada –Thailand

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank paulboop
Reviewed 21 August 2008

I would have rated it with more stars if it wasn't for the first day of my arrival. I arrived there with my wife on the 16th of June and even though I've booked the hotel 3 months earlier, they gave us a bed with a bad bed. Bad bed as in squeaky bed. You couldn't even sit on it and it made all these horrible noises and of course we went to the manager to complaint and to ask him either to change the bed or to move us to a different room.

Only after long pressure and threats that we would look to find a different hotel, did he moved us to a different room on the next day. But alas, the first day of our trip to Paris was stigmatized by that stupid incident. And you don't want that from the hotel right?

Well the rooms were really small and the toilet made me wondering....Why on earth would on put the WC on a different room that the bathroom? It was really funny but the WC was like a confiding room, not for claustrophobics.

The location was nice but rather noisy and the staff quite friendly but they give BAD info, so be careful.

If I ever visit Paris again, I would look for a better and cheaper hotel, because it was very expensive for what it offered.....

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2008

My wife and I, along with our 16 year old grand-daughter, had the triple (a double bed plus a single bed) at Hotel Du LeVant for four nights in late July and early August 2008. We were very pleased with the accommodations and especially the location. Our total rate of 175 Euros per night included a pleasant buffet breakfast (7 am until 10 am) each morning where one can also boil their own eggs to satisfaction.
Our room was air conditioned and the toilet was in a separate private space in our room, away from the bathroom sink and shower. This proved very convenient when three of us are all dressing for the early morning sightseeing starts. The St-Michel RER train and Metro station is at one end of rue de la Harpe (next to McDonalds restaurant), so we took the RER train from Charles De Gaulle airport with our baggage, took the St-Michel exit, strolled half a block, and there's the hotel. There is also an internet cafe named "Milk" on the street where we bought 30 minutes of internet use for three euros. Also nearby, there are some markets - similar to 7-11's but with a lot more produce - named 8 a' Huit (8 to 8) where you can stock up on water, beer, wine and other snack or pic-nic foods by the 6 or 12 pack if you want to save some money. The hotel is also a short walk to Notre- Dame Cathedral where the open top tour bus originates. I do have to say that the elevator (lift) is very tiny and is crowded with two people and a suitcase - it's not a big problem, as all the plusses far out weigh that negative. But still, the elevator could be a subject to laugh about later on.

2  Thank Surprising-Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2008

The location is great but the hotel was more like a "motel".
The cigarette smell was so strong that I talked to the manager to move me to another room. He said there was nothing he could do even if they had plenty of rooms available ( and don’t wonder why...).
It was dirty, outdated and dark. I even slept when my clothes on to check out first thing in the morning.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank paulaplaga
Reviewed 24 July 2008

My trip to Paris, this month, was my first ever, and it came after a very difficult year, so I wanted it to be as perfect as possible...
I chose this hotel by chance, among many that I found on the Internet an then contacted by email. Having read the reviews at TripAdvisor, I confess that I was a little worried, because they were not all favorable...
I needed a hotel not very expensive, clean, friendly (since I was a single woman traveller) and, most of all, located not far from the Theatre du Chatelet, where I was to see the last performance of the opera "The Fly" on Sunday, July 13 (Placido Domingo conducting). [An absolutely magnificent show, by the way!!!].
Well, the "Hotel du Levant" proved to be all that, and so much more!!! :-)
It is a charming place in Quartier Latin, right at the center of the city, not even a ten minutes walk from the Chatelet (where many Metro lines cross, which is a great thing for someone like me, who was walking from 08:00 to 21:00 each day trying (in vain!) to explore this vast city!!!).
I adored my lovely little room in the 4th floor (No 38 - I have already posted some pictures), the hotel was super-clean, the staff at the reception great (very helpful and polite!) and breakfast (one of my favourite things when on vacation!), with baguette and croissant ... just everything I needed!!
From there, walking to the Ile de la Cite and Ile Saint-Louis, the Louvre, Saint Sulpice Church, the Pantheon, the Medieval Museum (Cluny), Mitterand National Library, Beaubourg, the Arab World Institute and many other places of interest was a child's play!...
I had requested a quiet room, so I was given one at the inner side of the building with no view whatsoever (but who cares about a view when you are in Paris, walking the whole day among all the "wonders" of the French capital???!!!), the air-conditioning worked fine (not that it was really needed when I was there) and towels and bed linen were changed daily, although -for the planet's sake!- I would have preferred a somewhat less frequent change...
All in all I've had a really splendid time at the "Hotel du Levant" and in Paris this summer, have already said so to all my friends and cannot wait until the next time, when I will certainly stay at the same hotel again!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank AngelikiR
Reviewed 18 May 2008

Really, the location is excellent, in a small corner of the Latin Quarter with many restaurants although of the somewhat cheaper variety, they didn't all smell very nice.

I had a room on the top floor, at the back and I have to say, it was completely quiet so that's a plus. But so small! For 120 Euros I was expection a little bit more, at least some room for a desk to put my laptop on (wifi is free of charge though). Furniture is old, everything is old and a little dusty, bed was pretty bad and the breakfast smells (yes all the way on the 6th floor) were not so nice either.

Breakfast is rather bad and a very noisy affair (coming from the kitchen). Service is okay but only if you ask for it. And the elevator is just too scary!

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank saskeeya