“Modern, clean, and friendly hotel close to metro” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Ambre

Hotel Ambre
Ranked #1,385 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
New York City, New York
“Modern, clean, and friendly hotel close to metro”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

We just had a 4 night stay at the Ambre and would reccomend it. It was a 4 min walk from the 7 line Metro or a 10 min walk to the 5.
Our standard double was a bit smaller than expected (it is paris so no real complaints - i would have opted for the junior suite or deluxe double if i had known) - but it was modern, clean and had all the modern needs.
Free wifi and continental breakfast was a perk that we enjoyed as well as a flat screen tv.

If you are comfortable navigating via metro (we are city people) this is a great place - we saved a ton and really liked how new everything was. A plus the bath was almost half the size of the bedroom area!!!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank abnyc16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Great hotel. Clean and new.relatives large rooms with small Partially kitchen.Mall house and quiet. Not far from metro 7 (5 min walk). All hotel staff speaking vary good English. Breakfast has minimum but we had no problems at all

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

My mom and I stayed at the Hotel Ambre in Paris in May 2013. This was our first trip to Paris, and we found the hotel on Expedia. We booked a suite, as we wanted separate sleeping areas and a kitchenette.

After I made the booking on Expedia, I attempted to confirm my reservation through Hotel Ambre's website. The confirmation number Expedia gave me did not work on the hotel's website. Upon further review of the hotel's website, it looked like there were no rooms (of any kind) available for pretty much the whole month of April and May. Concerned, I called Expedia, who said that my reservation was confirmed from their end. There was a review on TripAdvisor from someone who showed up with reservations to find the hotel closed, so I emailed the hotel directly, and they also confirmed my reservation. Weeks later, it looked like the hotel's website had been corrected (and rooms were showing as being available for booking in April and May). Our confirmation number still did not work though.

So when my mom and I arrived at the hotel on a Saturday afternoon, we were relieved that they had our reservation on hand. After paying the unexpected hotel taxes, we were given our room card. Upon arriving at our room on the 4th floor, we were not happy to find one double bed.

I returned to the lobby and questioned the front desk clerk. When I described the room I had been expecting, he stated that I was describing a suite, or junior suite. I advised that I had reserved a suite. Upon review of my reservation details, the clerk confirmed that I had indeed booked a suite. He would correct the mistake, and invited me to wait in the room until he had a chance to find a suite.

Approximately fifteen minutes later, the clerk called the room to advise us that there were no suites available for that night (Saturday). He could move us to a suite on Sunday, and we could even have our pick between two suites. He also offered us free breakfast the next morning as an apology. Not wanting to share a bed with my mom, I asked if there was a second room available for the Saturday night. The clerk needed additional time to check, but would call us back.

Ten minutes or so later, the clerk called back again to confirm that he could offer us a second room, the one right next door. I just had to return to the lobby to pick up the new room card. As my mom was quite unhappy with the situation, she waited in the first room with our luggage.

In the lobby, I spoke to the clerk about how the timing would work for the next day. Room check-out is at 11:30am, with check-in at 2pm. As we had sightseeing plans on Sunday, I was worried that we'd end up sitting around the hotel all day, waiting for the suites to be ready. The clerk advised that we could bring out luggage to the lobby on Sunday, and leave it there while we went out. Whenever we got back, we would be able to tour the suites to pick the one we wanted. They don't have a room where the luggage gets locked up, they merely get placed in a corner of the lobby. The clerk advised that this is safe because he doesn't leave the desk.

With the new room card in hand (and having to ask about the wifi login instructions), I headed back to the 4th floor to rejoin my mom in the first room. Something I feel should be mentioned - the elevator takes, quite possibly, the longest time ever for the door to close. This is made worse by there being no button to force the door to close faster.

Back on the 4th floor (the top floor), I invited my mom to check out the second room. As she was more unhappy than me about the situation, I offered to let her pick the room she wanted. When I attempted to open the door to the second room, the card did not work. So, another trip back to the lobby to have the clerk actually program the card (for real this time).

The seventh elevator trip later, I was happy that the room card worked. The second room, a Double Classic, had a larger bedroom area and smaller bathroom area (with only a shower). Mom opted to take this room. The first room (also a Double Classic) had a smaller bedroom area and larger bathroom (with a shower/bathtub combination).

On the Sunday morning, Mom and I enjoyed the apology breakfast offered in the lobby. The continental breakfast included cereal, croissants, bagettes, coffee, juice, yogurt, boiled eggs, fruit cocktail, etc. It was nice, though we didn't pay for it the rest of the trip (instead, we opted to visit a nearby bakery shop).

We left our bags in the lobby when we went out for the day. Everything was still there when we returned, several hours later. We didn't get our pick of suites, one was assigned to us on the 3rd floor. When we got up to the new room, there was only one bed set up. I called down to the lobby this time, and was told that housekeeping would be up shortly to split the bed into two twins.

My mom didn't think we had been given a suite. She felt it was the junior suite, as there wasn't a living room or dining room area. I checked the hotel's website, and it's a little hard to tell. One of the junior suite pictures did seem to resemble our room exactly. Our bathroom did have two sinks and a shower/tub combination. Additionally, the towel-warming rack worked great.

Housekeeping was provided daily, and our dishes in the sink were even washed for us (which was unexpected, but much appreciated). One of the lights above the bathroom sinks was not working. We reported in to a front desk clerk, but the light never did work. Not sure if they attempted to fix it.

Every morning when we went out, we were asked by the front desk clerk for our room number. I think this was so that they could send housekeeping in. It would have been nice if they could have remembered us before the end of the trip.

A day or two into our stay (in the "suite"), we got neighbors in the adjoining room. We could hear them talking through the walls, so I wouldn't describe the rooms as sound-proof. Luckily, they were not loud.

I don't know if the hotel is considered air-conditioned, but the air system in our "suite" did not get cold. It was the middle of May and the beds had duvets on them. We subsequently slept with the windows open so that we wouldn't wake up sweating every morning. There was a bit of street noise from the open windows. Not enough to wake you up if already asleep, but noticeable enough if awake.

The hotel location was nice. There was a Carrefour Market a half-block away in one direction, and a bakery a half-block away in the other direction. A pharmacy was also across from the bakery. The 62 bus could be easily taken to/from the Tolbiac metro station or the Bibliotheque-Francois Mitterrand metro/RER station. The Tolbiac metro station was within a 10-15 minutes walking distance, while Bibliotheque-Francois Mitterrand was about 25 minutes to walk to. If you are using the RATP website to figure out public transportation directions, I recommend using "Passage Foubert, 75013, Paris" in lieu of the hotel's address, as it seems to give a more accurate starting/ending location for Hotel Ambre.

Once our reservation got sorted out, we had a nice stay. As the hotel attempted to make up for the mistake, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Popcorned
Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

After a very detailed search of hotel options in Paris, my husband and I decided on Hotel Ambre in the 13th arrondissement. We were able to get a Junior Suite for an excellent price through Hotels.com. As this is a newer hotel and has few reviews, we weren't exactly sure what to expect upon arrival. However, we were very pleased with our stay overall.

The front desk attendants were polite and helpful. As we arrived early (and our room wasn't ready quite yet), we left our luggage in the lobby and headed to the Eiffel Tower. When we came back later that afternoon, we were pleased with our room. It was extremely spacious; had plenty of storage; was equipped with a kitchenette including mini-fridge, microwave, and stove; and had a comfy, true king-sized bed. The room itself was simple - white walls, white furniture (including two desks), and a few photos. I preferred this, as I've been to plenty of hotels that clutter up the room with unnecessary lamps, useless furniture, magazines, flyers, etc. It just gets in the way.

The bathroom was spacious, as it had a full sized tub equipped with a shower (with good water pressure, a nice shower head, etc.) Once again, I've stayed in European hotel rooms that only include a shower that leaves you very little room to move around in.

The only areas of improvement I saw:
1) Shampoo and Conditioner are not offered in the room. Good thing I always bring my own! Even if you forget, there are plenty of grocery stores and markets you can pick some up at. Body wash is provided, however.
2) Although we didn't have trouble with outside noise (being on the 3rd floor), we could hear the next door neighbors pretty clearly. It seemed to really only be when they were in their bathroom, or when the maids were cleaning and talking to each other. Not a huge disturbance, but definitely worth noting.
3) They don't have wash cloths in the room. Wash cloths would be nice, as I always had to use hand towels for my shower.

You can also pay for breakfast daily - but we skipped it. There is a great bakery down the road which we visited multiple times! Also, I think it's worth noting that we liked the neighborhood. Although it is mainly residential, it's close to multiple metro stops, which makes it easy to get around.

Room Tip: The higher, the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Trento, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

The rooms are small, but new and clean. The location is not ideal if you are looking to be in the center, but it is close to the Metro, so it is easy to get into sites. Not a heavily tourist area, and near some good, less expensive restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

We chose this hotel because it has a kitchenette and it was newly renovated. Functional kitchenette is definitely is a big plus but the lack of coffee maker/kettle for coffee/tea drinkers and the lack of chairs in the kitchen area made it slightly uncomfortable. The room is cozy, the bathroom with a rain shower is perfect. We were pleasantly surprised with the amazing, filling, and free breakfast. The personnel is friendly and some of them speak enough English. Location is not perfect for tourists, but metro station is just a block away and the metro line 7 leads you directly to the center. The wonderful charming French boulangerie, which is one building away, makes up for any inconveniences.
All of this makes this hotel is attractive for future stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

The rooms are small but very clean, new and functional. Mattress and bedding good quality. They have a small kitchen equipped with everything you need to prepare something quick. The bathroom is new and spacious, all finishes were new and clean.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family