“recomendable”
Review of Hotel Ambre

Hotel Ambre
Ranked #1,358 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Everything was correct but the concerge, they are not too proffesional. The location is a bit far from city center, however is very quite and looks safety, it is a good area. You have the underground close and the rooms are modern and have kitchen, fridge, sink, dishes...and you can cooking if you want.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Juandesalma

Reviewed 2 July 2013

If the title of this review "very passable" seems negative it shouldn't. The hotel is what it is. It is clean, the staff are friendly, the rooms are comfortable with a sink, micro and small stove and all within walking to two very useful/convenient metro stations. Yet, there are caveats to most everything. As someone wrote earlier it does come as a surprise to many American visitors to be asked as one leaves (each and every) morning what your room number (so the cleaning staff can begin cleaning). The rooms also seem to be attempting to be clean and stylish with grey color palate used throughout the hotel. Also the walls seem to be more than uncommonly thin with full conversations being heard clearly. But is this getting what you pay for? In my book yes. Would I stay again? Absolutely.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank centrepa
Reviewed 13 June 2013

New hotel opened September 2012 I believe. Chose it because it had a suite within my pitiful means and the location was not too bad either. Have heard other guests moan rooms were small, hence booked suite. Anyway, 5 mins from Tolbiac Metro with supermarket nearby to stock fridge. We had a fridge and cooker which other guests in double room told me they had.

Downfall, not given kettle to boil water with, asked twice ;-) and was politely informed there was a pan to boil the water in with which I did, despite not staying in a caravan. Breakfast area was very, very small. Breakfast itself was fine.

Loved the size of the room, very good indeed ;-) would consider it on my next visit to Paris shortly.

Traffic from outside can be a tad noisy. But very, very happy with suite!!

Room Tip: Know budget is invariably an issue, but a suite can be very, very comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Onmyway T
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Was looking for a small Boutique Hotel. It could have been amzing, but the whole design is just completely wrong. Mirrors, leaking shower, TV...staff is nice, coffee machine is great, but that's all...what a shame, the need a proper designer to rethink it all

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Londongroom
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We just had a 4 night stay at the Ambre and would reccomend it. It was a 4 min walk from the 7 line Metro or a 10 min walk to the 5.
Our standard double was a bit smaller than expected (it is paris so no real complaints - i would have opted for the junior suite or deluxe double if i had known) - but it was modern, clean and had all the modern needs.
Free wifi and continental breakfast was a perk that we enjoyed as well as a flat screen tv.

If you are comfortable navigating via metro (we are city people) this is a great place - we saved a ton and really liked how new everything was. A plus the bath was almost half the size of the bedroom area!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank abnyc16
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Great hotel. Clean and new.relatives large rooms with small Partially kitchen.Mall house and quiet. Not far from metro 7 (5 min walk). All hotel staff speaking vary good English. Breakfast has minimum but we had no problems at all

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My mom and I stayed at the Hotel Ambre in Paris in May 2013. This was our first trip to Paris, and we found the hotel on Expedia. We booked a suite, as we wanted separate sleeping areas and a kitchenette.

After I made the booking on Expedia, I attempted to confirm my reservation through Hotel Ambre's website. The confirmation number Expedia gave me did not work on the hotel's website. Upon further review of the hotel's website, it looked like there were no rooms (of any kind) available for pretty much the whole month of April and May. Concerned, I called Expedia, who said that my reservation was confirmed from their end. There was a review on TripAdvisor from someone who showed up with reservations to find the hotel closed, so I emailed the hotel directly, and they also confirmed my reservation. Weeks later, it looked like the hotel's website had been corrected (and rooms were showing as being available for booking in April and May). Our confirmation number still did not work though.

So when my mom and I arrived at the hotel on a Saturday afternoon, we were relieved that they had our reservation on hand. After paying the unexpected hotel taxes, we were given our room card. Upon arriving at our room on the 4th floor, we were not happy to find one double bed.

I returned to the lobby and questioned the front desk clerk. When I described the room I had been expecting, he stated that I was describing a suite, or junior suite. I advised that I had reserved a suite. Upon review of my reservation details, the clerk confirmed that I had indeed booked a suite. He would correct the mistake, and invited me to wait in the room until he had a chance to find a suite.

Approximately fifteen minutes later, the clerk called the room to advise us that there were no suites available for that night (Saturday). He could move us to a suite on Sunday, and we could even have our pick between two suites. He also offered us free breakfast the next morning as an apology. Not wanting to share a bed with my mom, I asked if there was a second room available for the Saturday night. The clerk needed additional time to check, but would call us back.

Ten minutes or so later, the clerk called back again to confirm that he could offer us a second room, the one right next door. I just had to return to the lobby to pick up the new room card. As my mom was quite unhappy with the situation, she waited in the first room with our luggage.

In the lobby, I spoke to the clerk about how the timing would work for the next day. Room check-out is at 11:30am, with check-in at 2pm. As we had sightseeing plans on Sunday, I was worried that we'd end up sitting around the hotel all day, waiting for the suites to be ready. The clerk advised that we could bring out luggage to the lobby on Sunday, and leave it there while we went out. Whenever we got back, we would be able to tour the suites to pick the one we wanted. They don't have a room where the luggage gets locked up, they merely get placed in a corner of the lobby. The clerk advised that this is safe because he doesn't leave the desk.

With the new room card in hand (and having to ask about the wifi login instructions), I headed back to the 4th floor to rejoin my mom in the first room. Something I feel should be mentioned - the elevator takes, quite possibly, the longest time ever for the door to close. This is made worse by there being no button to force the door to close faster.

Back on the 4th floor (the top floor), I invited my mom to check out the second room. As she was more unhappy than me about the situation, I offered to let her pick the room she wanted. When I attempted to open the door to the second room, the card did not work. So, another trip back to the lobby to have the clerk actually program the card (for real this time).

The seventh elevator trip later, I was happy that the room card worked. The second room, a Double Classic, had a larger bedroom area and smaller bathroom area (with only a shower). Mom opted to take this room. The first room (also a Double Classic) had a smaller bedroom area and larger bathroom (with a shower/bathtub combination).

On the Sunday morning, Mom and I enjoyed the apology breakfast offered in the lobby. The continental breakfast included cereal, croissants, bagettes, coffee, juice, yogurt, boiled eggs, fruit cocktail, etc. It was nice, though we didn't pay for it the rest of the trip (instead, we opted to visit a nearby bakery shop).

We left our bags in the lobby when we went out for the day. Everything was still there when we returned, several hours later. We didn't get our pick of suites, one was assigned to us on the 3rd floor. When we got up to the new room, there was only one bed set up. I called down to the lobby this time, and was told that housekeeping would be up shortly to split the bed into two twins.

My mom didn't think we had been given a suite. She felt it was the junior suite, as there wasn't a living room or dining room area. I checked the hotel's website, and it's a little hard to tell. One of the junior suite pictures did seem to resemble our room exactly. Our bathroom did have two sinks and a shower/tub combination. Additionally, the towel-warming rack worked great.

Housekeeping was provided daily, and our dishes in the sink were even washed for us (which was unexpected, but much appreciated). One of the lights above the bathroom sinks was not working. We reported in to a front desk clerk, but the light never did work. Not sure if they attempted to fix it.

Every morning when we went out, we were asked by the front desk clerk for our room number. I think this was so that they could send housekeeping in. It would have been nice if they could have remembered us before the end of the trip.

A day or two into our stay (in the "suite"), we got neighbors in the adjoining room. We could hear them talking through the walls, so I wouldn't describe the rooms as sound-proof. Luckily, they were not loud.

I don't know if the hotel is considered air-conditioned, but the air system in our "suite" did not get cold. It was the middle of May and the beds had duvets on them. We subsequently slept with the windows open so that we wouldn't wake up sweating every morning. There was a bit of street noise from the open windows. Not enough to wake you up if already asleep, but noticeable enough if awake.

The hotel location was nice. There was a Carrefour Market a half-block away in one direction, and a bakery a half-block away in the other direction. A pharmacy was also across from the bakery. The 62 bus could be easily taken to/from the Tolbiac metro station or the Bibliotheque-Francois Mitterrand metro/RER station. The Tolbiac metro station was within a 10-15 minutes walking distance, while Bibliotheque-Francois Mitterrand was about 25 minutes to walk to. If you are using the RATP website to figure out public transportation directions, I recommend using "Passage Foubert, 75013, Paris" in lieu of the hotel's address, as it seems to give a more accurate starting/ending location for Hotel Ambre.

Once our reservation got sorted out, we had a nice stay. As the hotel attempted to make up for the mistake, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family