“Water or Gold?”
Review of Old Kashmir

Old Kashmir
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Old Kashmir is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,811 of 17,155 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Pisa, Italy
“Water or Gold?”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I have eaten to this restaurant this evening, the 25th of august. we were 8 people and we were actracted by the special menu at 12,5 euros only. we would eat some esotic food and this restaurant has been chosen.

the local was not bad, but we were allocated in a room undeground without windows and the possibility to see the road, but it wasn't so important. we decided to take the special menu at 12,5 euros, we also decided to take 4 bottle of water and a bottle of wine.

the waiter asked us whast kind of dishes we want, because the menu give us to choise from 4 different dishes. than we ask us what kind of nan we want and at least he asked us for the dessert. he absolutelly hadn't told us that the nan was not included in the menu, he had just asked us what we want. we assumed that at least one was included and in the menu (that we checked later) we have seen that they was.

The food was good, expecially the chicken with curry with the rice. the nan was also good and we were happy until the waiter give us the bill... instead 12,5 euros each we spent 25 euros each. we had orribly discovered that a bottle of water was 4,5 euros! that was crazy! moreover nan were not included and they cost 4 euros each!
But it's not over... inside the bill there was 20% of tip, and this is absolutelly unfair... the tip should be left to the customers and they had not to be included inside the bill.

so i absolutelly suggest you to search an other restaurant because they are just thief. Around this restaurant there are plenty of restaurant where you can go. in front of him there was a restaurant with 3 tripadvisor sticky outside, i will try one of them tomorrow and i suggest you to do the same.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Antonio M

Clinton, NJ
“Good choice for vegans and non vegans”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

It's hard to find places for vegan and non vegan in Paris. Lots of choices for both here. Garlic stuffed naan was very good, probably because it had butter. Be aware that some items don't come with rice so that you aren't surprised with portions.

• Visited August 2013
Townsville, Australia
“great Indian food”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Fantastic indian food in the middle of the Latin Quarter. Reasonable price with set 3 course menu or can choose al a carte. Quick service in cosy location.

• Visited June 2013
Miami Beach, Florida
“Nice lower dining room in an old stone cellar”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Old Kashmir is one of the many Indian restaurants that fourished in Paris when British citizens and residents were allowed to work all over the European Union.

I discovered it on my previous trip to Paris during Spring Break, in March 2013, but it was already 2:45 pm and they refused to serve me. Don't forget that Paris is not Madrid, where you can have a lunch set menu at 4 pm, and even at 5 pm in some restaurants, as I have experienced it myself several times in the past.

So I returned there on Friday, May 3, 2013, taking advantage of my four months vacations without pay at FIU, which I usually spend jumping from plane to plane between Europe and Soutn America.

This Indian restaurant offers three set menus for lunch: a two course + Cheese Nan for 9.50 € + drinks, a three course for 12.50 € but without Nan, and a third one for 16.50 € with Nan bread.

The main dining room on the street level was completely full when I arrived at 1:45 pm, which was an excellent thing because the owner took me to a small lower dining room in a beautiful stone cellar, where I could have lunch in total peace because I was the only customer in that small charming place. It might be a medieval cellar, as in many places in the Quartier Latin but I don't know anything about it.

Since I was in a hurry, I took the first menu, at 9.50 € with a delicious Chicken Curry and Basmati rice, a good Cheese Nan and a "gâteau de semoule" for dessert.

Unfortunately, the 1/4 liter of red wine, for which I paid an additional 5.50 € (the highest price I've ever paid for a "1/4 de vin en pichet"!), was rather bad, which I regretted because that good meal deserved a much better wine. I should have taken a beer at 5 € as I often do when good bottled wine is too expensive for a simple professor who has worked all his life almost for free!

I suggested the owner to contact his colleague from the "Chalet Grégoire", on number 4 of the same street, where I had a good 1/4 of red wine last December 2012. You may want to read my review of that French restaurant right here in Trip Advisor if you want to try a French meal at a reasonable price for Paris.

In comparison, I had a very good three course Chinese lunch the next day at "Chez Ye" (1, Boulevard de Picpus) for 10 € with an additional 2.80 € for 1/4 liter of a very honorable red wine. That's the lowest price I've ever paid for a quarter wine "pichet", just as the 5.50 € of Old Kashmir was the very most expensive I've ever paid for it! In this case, the cheapest was the best!

IN SHORT, if you like Indian food, this is a very good choice, one block from Métro Odéon and a couple of blocks from Saint Germain des Prés.

For more details about public transportation to De Gaulle and Orly airports, you may read my review about the Best Western "Grand Hôtel de l'Univers", on the same Rue Grégoire de Tours, where I slept in December 2012.

• Visited May 2013
New York City, New York
“Some of the East in Paris”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Open to different tastes? Like Indian Food? Then head over to the Old Kashmir restaurant. This place has good service and great food. As with all Indian restaurants, you can ask for the spiciness to suit your taste, The staff was attentive and the place clean. When in Paris again, I will certainly be eating at the Old Kashmir again!!

• Visited August 2012