“Avoid at all costs”

Price range: US$11 - US$35
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Louvre / Palais-Royal
Description: NEW MANAGEMENT SINCE 1/10 / 2016.NOUVELLE CARD RESTAURANT, COCKTAIL, HAPPY HOUR ALL OF DAYS 18H 21H .AMBIANCE sifted EVENING WITH MUSIC LOUNGE.KITCHEN OPEN UNTIL 0:00 MONDAY TO SATURDAY AND SUNDAY 11:45 p.m. THE HUMMINGBIRD IS OPEN FROM 6:30 TO 2:00 MONDAY TONEW SATURDAY AND SUNDAY 9:00 A 0:00
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is the sort of place that would give any city a bad name. OK, we went there on a Sunday morning. It was quiet. Maybe the kitchens didn't have their top team on duty. But the food was poor ... very poor and the service was barely any better. A shame: the main dining room has character: it could be great (like many places nearby, Restaurant Capucine for example) but Le Colibri does not, in this reviewer's opinion, come anywhere near the mark. My advice: avoid it at all costs ... and to the owners (not that they care, clearly) you really could/should do so much better.

1  Thank YetAnotherLondoner

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Unfortunately, the chances are that you won't read reviews for these place before you go so I am probably wasting my time.
This is one of those numerous restaurants and cafes in Paris who do not need to do anything to secure repeat business (by offering good food, or service, or value) simply because they are fortunate enough to be located in a great spot (in this case, in a shady corner of Place de la Madeleine).
To be fair, it doesn't make any claims to gastronomic greatness and the fact that their menus are available in most of the main languages gives you a clue that this is little more then a tourist trap. Even simple dishes such as salads and croque-monsieurs are beyond them however, and massively over-priced.
Other than the fact that it never seems to close there is nothing to recommend here. i'm sure it will be a money-printing machine for the owners regardless of how many bad reviews appear here though.
As a general rule, in Paris do not eat or drink anywhere within sight of a tourist destination.

3  Thank Piney69
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We ordered to cappuccinos which came at €15 (a tall order for any cafe). Drinks came bitter and very badly prepared. I asked the waiter to come over and told him that this is the worst cup of coffee I have ever had - his response was 'you will pay' I said to him of course I will pay but this is awful. He took the money and asked me where I was from and when I answered he simply said 'I think it is time you go back to your country'. Speechless.

2  Thank ignfoto
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Lets start by saying I love Paris, its food, its art and of course its people - which I find are very welcoming with the tourist unlike the cliches I heard as a kid -, and now that I'm an expat in Belgium I take every occasion I can to enjoy this magnificent city. (once per year in the last 5 years) .
The location looked fine, and I was just tired from a walk... I just wanted a cappucino, after a long walk in a rather cold april afternoon: I would sit, drink it, warm up and continue with my journey. So I wasn't really expecting much! However when entering the cafe, the staff was chatting loud in a rather gossipy way, totally careless about me and another group of people walking in. They took forever to come to the table to ask what we wanted to order. I was sticking my hand for a few minutes already to the point we thought if it was a self-service or similar. Finally the male short waiter came to ask what we wanted, without even handing out a card. I had a capuccino which was ok for its 7.90 euro price; but when bringing it the waiter just threw it in the table with the worst attitude ever. And continued with his gossip. It's almost like he was annoyed at clients being there. I'm sure the owner was not around because such attitudes would never come in front of someone who actually cares.
When asking the bill again they took forever, and the waiter again almost threw it on the table and continued semi cleaning another table that had just left... I saw this bad treatment to the other customers so at least I didn't take it personal, but oh my god: This has to be the most memorable bad attitude at a cafe in all my life.

2  Thank Christian J
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This typical French brasserie, in the middle of the Madeleine, Concord area, has great, large salads for reasonable prices. I often eat here for business meetings. One has a good meal, rapidly served for 15-20 euros.A great deal in this area.