Well, it probably is, for my partner and me!
Having stayed in several hotels in Paris recently (see my other reviews), this one wins hands down. Here is why:
- Location: not at the very heart of tourist Paris, but close, with less than 5 mins walk from central metro stop, 10-15 from large department stores, chic boutiques, Opera etc, and, crucially, a few steps from a multitude of brasseries, bars, bakeries, and convenience stores. The immediate surroundings of the hotel, however, are lovely and calm, right in front of a quirky church and its small square.
- Space, design & comfort: absolutely perfectly arranged, very generous for Paris (superior room) immaculately fitted and furnished, modern-Scandinavian style, in calm, pure forms and colours, zero tat or clutter, but warm and welcoming. Easily one the best designed small hotels anywhere.
The beds and linen are exquisite, the shower fabulous, separate toilet, everything immaculate and working perfectly, much wardrobe space, and just a great vibe. Also, perfectly insulated and super-quiet (except for the faint chiming of the churn clock, which is charming and stops at night)
Public areas wonderful, equally welcoming and calm, with simply exquisite design.
- Reception staff: among the nicest, most knowledgeable, efficient and courteous I have met (several different people - this goes for all of them).
Now, there is one thing the could improve, and I mention it because they are so close to perfection it is a shame to have it compromised:
- Restaurant: everything on offer is lovely, tasty and fresh, although the selection for breakfast is quite small. The problem, however, is the fact that anything that isn't bread or butter/jam (i.e. eggs, ham, cheese, pancakes) needs to be ordered, and the service is always terribly, incredibly slow. Everyone in the restaurant is, again, very sweet, but almost impossibly not on the ball… This happened to us on three separate occasions, two breakfasts and one dinner. The food on all occasions was excellent, but the service was always verging on the unacceptable (in the case of the dinner it was simply so, with half the restaurant arriving and leaving before us, whist we desperately tried to remind waiters we were still to be served, only to be met by smiles and zero service). Please put the cold cuts on a plate for people to serve themselves (why in heaven's name would you need to have it cut by someone on the spot?), teach your resto staff to be as efficient as your reception, and have the entire breakfast for one price, please (it is poor form to charge extra for some ham and cheese…)
That aside, this is an absolute winner of a hotel all round, and we can't wait to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When Charm & More decided to create a hotel of discreet luxury with top-end amenities and service, all in a chic, relaxed atmosphere, they brought together the talents that could turn that dream to reality: Jean-Michel Wilmotte for the design, Bruno Doucet for the restaurant and a team from the luxury hospitality industry for the services.Whether it’s in one of our 33 rooms or suite, settled in at the restaurant or lounging under the bar’s glass roof, the Hôtel de Nell welcomes you in style, with intimate spaces trimmed in exclusive décor with the sole objective of enhancing your well-being.The Hôtel de Nell is much more than comfort. It’s a state of being. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel De Nell reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.