“Skip it and find somewhere else”

Universita Della Pizza
Ranked #7,147 of 18,127 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Les Halles
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We went here last night after a couple other choices were closed. We are staying nearby so thought it was worth a try. The waiter was very prompt in the first moment of arriving but then seemed to take a seat and ignore us for the remainder of the time. After taking our order and bringing the good he left us alone. I signaled for the check and he came by to clear the dishes but did not bring the check - we had to ask a second time. We've been spending time with friends in Paris who advised us that tipping is not necessary in Parisian restaurants - that it's sufficient to round the bill up or leave a few coins. We used a credit card to pay, so I dug out a few coins to tip, as we've been doing in other restaurants and which I witnessed my Parisian friends doing all day in restaurants and cafés.

The waiter took the receipt and then handed the coins back to us saying "Keep this, if you're going to leave a tip, leave a real tip." Of course we did not mean to insult, so to have him behave like that right as we were leaving was a bit unnerving.

The food was only ok. We ordered calzones and a salad - the calzones were big and chewy and the salad dry. I'm sure you can find better food and service elsewhere.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

The service was prompt, the pizza was one of the better ones I've tasted in Paris. I like the chewy crust. However we had about half a pizza left over for lunch and we asked to bring the remainder home. I guess this is rather uncustomary to do this in France. Apparently, that even in a starving economy with double-digit unemployment, it is quite appropriate to waste food in the name of taste and style. The server graciously took the pizza to box it but then promptly told the hostess in French, 'haa they are here for lunch and are asking to take the leftover home.' I will not patronize a business that is customer-facing and proceeds to insult the people who pay the bills. I understand French too and even if I didn't, it would be inappropriate to behave in this manner.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

First off, this is not an American style pizza. The pizzas here are the chewy, oven-baked crusts with a light coating of sauce, some cheese and the "extras" that you ordered. They are generally considered to be one person-one pizza, in the typical Parisian style (though they will happily bring an extra plate and allow two people to share because the pizzas here are generously sized). I love this kind of pizza and used to have a favorite pizza joint in Paris but it closed after the bust. Since then, I've tried a wide variety of different pizza places but haven't found a substitute-- until the Universita della Pizza. This place was so good I ate here twice in one week! The service is friendly but not obsequious. I don't know if the waiters speak English (though I suspect that they can manage) but they do speak Italian. I can't talk a lot about the different things on the menu because I ended up ordering almost the same thing each time. For appetizers, my friends and I ordered the antipasti of roasted veggies (misti) which was excellent-- though quite large enough for two, the caprese (excellent) and the carpaccio (not a spot of anything left on the plate. The caprese and carpaccio were sized for one (or, as an assortment of appetizers shared by all). For pasta, we had a gnocchi and a arrabiata. Both had great flavors and were freshly made. But the best of all was the Pizza university which was a star-shaped pizza filled with a different special ingredient in each point of the star-- artichoke, ham, mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta, bresaola... It was simply amazing. I loved, loved, loved this pizza. It's big-- very big-- so do plan on sharing it with a friend (though you might have to fight over the star points of your favorite topping!) The restaurant is located in a busy quarter (next to les Halles, which is basically a large construction zone right now) but because it is up against the park, there isn't all of the traffic and noise typical of nearby restaurants. There is a small outdoor seating area (about 10 tables) and a large indoor area. The ambiance is casual and comfortable. Prices run 10-13 euros for the appetizers, 10-19 euros for the pizzas and pastas. There are desserts... if you have room.. count about 8-10 euros. For Paris, these are moderate prices and, given the quantity of food, a good value (again, for Paris where food is just expensive). When I've been here, there have been a mix of families, couples, groups of friends; mostly French.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Walking back to our apartment we stumbled upon this place by accident. It appeared very popular so we decided to give it a try. My wife and I both ordered pizza and Peroni beer. The pizza was very good, the crust was delicious, thin and chewy. Service was very good and the prices were very reasonable. If you're looking for a rest after having French cuisine for a few days this is a great choice.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Was a bit disappointed with the quality of food with the pizzas being a bit hard.

Service was slow and they kept forgetting to provide the appropriate utensils.

Maybe they had an off day - would try again and try the non-pizza dishes.