“Interesting experience”

and up
Paris Cooking Class: Learn How to Make Macarons
Ranked #3 of 120 Classes & Workshops in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in central Paris, we offer French Cooking Classes, Market Visits, Patisserie Classes, Wine & Cheese Tastings and Hosted Gastronomic dining. All our events are in ENGLISH! Our experiences are unique as they not only involve intense tasting but also sharing fun and surprising stories to discover FRENCH CULTURE through FOOD.
Auckland, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting experience”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I am trying to decide what it was about this class that didn't quite sit right. I think the concept of learning about culture and history through food is an excellent one. Also Fred was very knowledgeable and certainly had some interesting asides about the neighbourhood and the history of some cheeses etc. The inspiration of his dish that was prepared had a modern and historical reference to the classic "coq au vin" which was fabulous.
I think the mix of skill levels in the group (even some people's level of interest in the actual cooing was questionable) is something that could be sorted through - basic, advanced etc. The class was hurried and a little disorganised, we spent more time being shepherded up and down the stairs then we did in the kitchen also the next macaron class that was being taken in the afternoon overlapped our morning one which left a lot of us sort of drifting out not quite sure whether we were to leave or not whilst the next class was shepherd in.
The premises were lovely - nicely decorated, if not a little small for the amount of people. I believe the class is supposed to be followed up with an email of the recipes cooked but to date I have yet to receive any communication.
Good luck Fred - not sure how long you have been in operation, maybe I hit your class on a bad day (I was 30mins late due to metro confusion on my part).

Bonjour Travlgirrl,

I am glad to hear you liked the concept, found us knowledgeable, found the inspiration for the main dish fabulous and the premises lovely and nicely decorated.
We have certainly not always been good at sending the recipes electronically immediately after class, so this is a good reminder - please also check your junk mail because it happens also that this is where they end-up.
Regarding spending more time being shepherded up and down vs being in the ktichen however, I have to admit this does not really match any experience I personally recall. In our cooking classes we always spend about 2 and 1/2 hours in the kitchen. But we give people the opportunity to also learn how we plate the dishes and go back to the kitchen to do so - so maybe this is what you are referring to.

Thanks

Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun for kids and parents”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I and our two daughters, ages 7 and 9, took a private cooking class with Amanda and Fred, and it was one of the highlights of our time in Paris. We learned to make French macarons, which were better than any we had purchased at the shops in France. Amanda made the cooking project accessible and fun for the girls, and Fred entertained all of us with interesting stories about Paris. We highly recommend this experience for families visiting Paris.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank familytravelreviewer
Bonjour,

thanks very much for this feedback - we actually like sharing time in this format of private classes with families looking for something special, entertaining and educational with their loved ones. And congratulations for the quality of the macarons: you made them all :-)

Merci,
New York, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best kind of tourism.”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Fred and Amanda are brilliant. While on a trip with my sister, I attended the cooking class/market visit by myself on a whim. Le Foodist was not just a nuts-and-bolts cooking class. Instead of simply teaching techniques and giving quick French history lessons, Fred uses storytelling to give you a glimpse of French culture, and opens up a dialogue for the group to ask about techniques, ingredients, history, customs, and really get to know one another. I was a little nervous about attending solo, but the environment was very welcoming and it was a wonderful shared experience. I will certainly be sharing the stories I heard and techniques and recipes I learned with others back home. The Le Foodist kitchen and dining area are beautiful, the 6 person class size allowed for lots of personal attention, and the location could not be more convenient or easy to find. AND, the food and wine were absolutely delicious, of course! I wish there were a Le Foodist in every city I visited.

1 Thank emilou324
Bonjour Emilou,

thanks for your photos postings - and yes, Amanda is brillant ;-)
I am glad you enjoyed the way we like to share about French culture and the dynamics of the dialogue that naturally develops. Nice to hear as well that you enjoyed the food as well. I do not know how man cities you have visited, but I like the idea of having a Le Foodist in each of them to share about local culture through food and storytelling.

Merci and I hope we will get to welcome you and your sister upon your next visit to Paris
Dallas, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fun, delicious, and educational”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Attended the cooking class (with market visit) with my 24 year old son. It was great fun! Everyone (there were 10 students) helped prepare the 5 course meal with Fred and Amanda's guidance. The meal was delicious, and the company was delightful. Highly recommend! Plan to spend at least 5 hours if doing the market tour prior to getting started in the kitchen. Budget about 8 hours if everyone goes for drinks after the class.

1 Thank Travelmom76092
Bonjour Travelmom,

indeed the company of your group was delightful - and we are glad you found the food delicious. After all, it is all about food, isn't it?
You are correct on timing - yes, we advise actually people to plan for 6 hours if attending the market tour, as they arrive at 9:00 am and we finish around 3:00 pm. And it is very nice when the group decides to go out together after even though they did not know each other before the class. It goes to show something special happens when people are united around a common goal and experience.
Thanks for having shared this.

Indianapolis, Indiana
“The perfect way to start a visit to Paris”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I began our first visit to Paris by attending the macaron class. As a non-cook, I was a little worried about being up to the task. We had a great time cooking and visiting. The macaroons turned out great and were even better the second day, just like we were told. No trip to Paris is complete without a visit to Le Foodist. They are truly skilled to be able to teach a newbie like me to make great tasting macaroons.

Bonjour Homie87,

ah, if only everybody knew a trip to Paris is not complete without a visit to Le Foodist ;-) Thanks for your kind words though; we indeed focus our classes on robust techniques that everybody can learn to master, so people can reapply those back home, and get creative from there.