“Staff is amazingly helpful.”

St Christopher's Gare du Nord Paris
Ranked #9 of 172 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Staff is amazingly helpful.”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed just beside another hotel in the same pathway just opposite, called Hotel Bristol, on the first night as I found the room to be a single room with a sink and radiator and a view of the street from above. However, even as I stayed somewhere else I did take a good amount of help from the staff. One fine black dude (we did not exchange names) gave me the brochures and a good explanation of the metro system as well as what to see in Paris. I wanted to keep my backpack for the 3rd day in Paris at the locker below. Mind you its not really 24 hours 3 euros deal for the small locker (quite big actually), its actually only for 6 hours (check when you press "I am staying" to see what is your time limit left) after which the machine will ask for overtime payment of 1.80 euros depending on when you take it later in the day. That was a bit of a ripoff, but as you can see its business well done. The bag and the lockers are a very good facility, but just be aware they are also there to make money. I had a 'resurrection meal' for breakfast before heading out for the day. Its ,mainly fried eggs and beef steak, plus a drink. I would say its ok, cos I was feelin hungry in like 1 hour again. The wifi is good, no frills and fast. The photo machine can go wrong sometimes, just request for the manager for a refund. Very helpful staff and all young people around :) I would certainly log in next time around. The Gare Du Nord area is a little india of sorts, you get to find lots of banladeshis and srilankans. Its the busiest station in Europe. Good base place to start visiting all of Paris.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 0918_world_traveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is, surprisingly, the best stay on my 2013 budget trip to Europe. We took an overnight train from Venice and arrived at Gare du Nord groggy and tired. Luckily our accommodations weren't too far. We got out of the train station onto Rue Dunkerque in the south and had to walk a couple blocks and St. Christopher is around the corner close to the Best Western. It was still early in the morning, our room wasn't ready so we camped for a couple hours at Belushi's on the main floor for drinks and grub. Daily free breakfast is also served in the morning at Belushi's.

No fussy sign-in/password required for wifi. Everyone simply just connects their laptop, tablet or phone and it is mega fast for a building full of people.

Laundry is also excellent, for 5 euros, it includes a washer, dryer and package detergent on spanking new Miele machines.

Our room was a private one on the 4th floor with ensuite bathroom. Everything was clean and new as the St. Christopher Gare Du Nord opened this year. Our bathroom could have used a bathmat.

Gare Du Nord area is a bit more "eclectic" at night. I do notice that St. Christopher's always staffs a security guard or two at the front door to ensure safety of its lodgers and to ensure locals don't try to weasel their way in. Do keep your wits about you in this area of town later at night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JY_Globetrotter
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was so surprised when I arrived, it really looks like a hotel. The rooms and facilities are new and clean. My favorite is hanging out in the bar/lounge area. Adam, a staff member from Dublin, greeted me with a warm welcome as soon as I walked in. And he brought me champagne as soon as he found out it was my birthday! He definitely made the whole experience well worth the stay. I'll be back for sure.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Michellemosq
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I took my sister to Paris for her 21st birthday and came across this little gem! It was perfect for a weekend stay 2mins away from the main metro lines and only 5 min walk from the Eurostar! We were early getting to the hostel and you can't check-in until 2pm so we popped our bags in the basement locker room (3euro for the day). It was a secure and easy to use. The touch screen machines pick a locker for you and you make your own pin number for that locker.

We came back just after 2pm after checking out the surrounding town (didn't feel safe) we checked in and headed to our room. It was clean, tidy didn't smell! The bunk beds were comfortable, although the sheets covering the blankets were ripped at the edges but it wasn't a big deal. In the bunk beds there was a shelf with a USB port and a plug socket (quite a novelty for a hostel).

The staff were all very helpful, they advised us where to go for my sisters 21st meal and they helped information with some of the attractions in Paris.

In the evenings there was a buzz of people at the bar of all ages with live music at the weekends it was a great social atmosphere but watch out for the Irish man who I can only presume is the host of the belushi's bar in the evenings (he'll be drinking glasses of bubbly and most likely wearing overly tight T-Shirts and skinny jeans)! He was rude about me and my friends for no reason at all, rating us on our looks and whether we were 'alright' or not. He was over the top loud and muscled in on groups of people when he was not wanted, prancing around with a look of 'don't talk to me unless I talk to you' which ruined the great vibe from everyone else. He drunkenly decided to do a Missy Elliott rap which believe me was not music to anyones ears! If I was his manager I would be looking for some else to replace him ASAP.

The area in which the hostel is located is a little scary at night, I wouldn't advise walking alone to the supermarket just down the road on your own as my sister was cornered by a man who proceeded to tell her that he 'liked her face and her behind'. Quite scary when your girls in a place that is unfamiliar but luckily we were all there to rescue her. After reading the reviews before we went I was extremely conscious of pickpockets and I'm glad we were as I witnesses a lady on the busy metro lines trying to be pick pocketed! luckily there was nothing in her pocket and she felt him trying to gain access to her coat pocket!!! Just be very aware when you're on the metro lines as they pack so many people in that it's hard to know who's bumping into you and who's trying to pickpocket you.

Room Tip: If you would like a bit more piece try getting rooms on higher floors away from the bar area.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Traveller_Views
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I loved my stay at St Chris' Gare du Nord! Very convenient location, VERY friendly staff, awesome bar downstairs and I love the curtains and lockers in every room. I felt very safe and the rooms and bathrooms were kept tidy. Loved that there were 2 plugs by every bed and 2 USB sockets too! Would def come back!

Room Tip: I stayed in an 8 bed room and it was absolutely spacious! Loved it and heaps of room to leave your s...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank carocontiki
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hostel for three nights in November 2013 and am so glad that I decided to use this hostel.
It's super easily accessible as it's in such close proximity to the main train station.
So modern and clean and looks so professional and like a regular hotel.
Reception staff were always really helpful in answering my many questions.
I stayed in an 8 bed female dorm and that was good. Having the towel included was an extra perk that I appreciated a lot!
Laundry and locker facilities and chill out room were fantastic and all very modern.
The Belushi's bar downstairs was also great with its themed nights.
Overall absolutely fantastic stay, would highly recommend.
Only issue would have been the location and safety issues. I was always with other people so I felt fine but if I was by myself I think I would feel a bit differently.

• Stayed November 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed in a private room with attached bathroom. Decent and clean. By paying so little so I didn't expect much. It took me quite some times to check-in. Wasn't because of the slow service, just simply because the front desk ALWAYS full of people. Even I had question to ask, I gonna Q, I want to lend a hairdryer I gonna Q. But no doubt, people there are all very friendly and helpful.

Don't recommend you to stay here if you are light sleeper. There is a bar downstair and at night they have live performance. Quite noisy I would say.

But again, reasonable price to stay at the strategic location in Paris. Don't complain :p

Room Tip: perhaps higher floor. cause there is a bar downstair.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gregory W, Hostel Ambassador at St Christopher's Gare du Nord Paris, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for taking some time to leave your thoughts on your stay, we're grateful for this. I understand that sometimes the bar noise can reach the rooms, but this doesn't go on too long, if needed we have free ear plugs for everyone to use. Even against those loud snorers! We're glad that you found it such good value for money in a private room, they are very reasonably priced, and thank you for your comments about the lovely staff!