“Great hostel”

Ranked #8 of 173 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Sydney, Australia
“Great hostel”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights while visiting Paris. It is a good location as it is just a little walk from one of the main railway stations, gare du nore. The rooms are also great I love the curtains on the bunks as it gives privacy and there is your own light, USB port and PowerPoint outlet. The breakfast is good in the morning and the down stairs bar has cheap food and drinks for lunch and dinner. The washing is also super cheap, less than 5 euro to wash and dry. Would definitely recommend to any back packers

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

A lovely hostel with excellent facilities- the rooms are nice and clean, very close to the station so you can get around Paris, a bar next door linked to the hostel. However the trip was tainted by an unprofessional team of staff. There were several isolated incidents over the course of the four days we stayed there were the staff were just a bit useless.

Upon check in we were told it would take 45 minutes to split the payment by card- even though we had already emailed beforehand asking if this process was possible- they confirmed it was. It appeared to us that the member of staff in question was just trying to decrease his own workload, instead of complying with a simple request.

Another incident occurred when I asked the way to get to Versailles and what the best metro ticket was. The girl on reception, although helpful actually gave us FALSE information- suggesting that buying the ten book of metro tickets would get us to and from the Palace. This was not the case, you have to buy a special type of ticket. This lack of knowledge and divulging of false information is extremely poor from a hostel which gives the impression it can provide accurate information on the city.

The final incident which occurred, which prompted me to write this review was at 9.30am at breakfast. The lower bar was full so we sat in the tables at the top and back of the bar. All these tables come with breakfast menus and a sign saying 'dear guests. Please don't leave dirty plates on the table', so we assumed we could sit there. An extremely rude member of staff told us we were not allowed to sit there. The six of us moved into the main bar area and there was no where to sit. I then asked a different member of the bar staff if we were allowed to sit there and she said yes- appearing quite confused that we had asked such a question! We went back to sit at our original table and the first man came back asking us again what we were doing there- I replied saying there was no where to sit and the other member of staff said we could. He shrugged his shoulders and ordered us to clear our plates after. The area then gradually filled up with others eating breakfast- very strange! It seemed as though he too was trying to decrease his workload rather than accommodating the guests at the establishment.

It is such a shame that this hostel is let down by such rude and unprofessional staff. I would not recommend this hostel or come back again.

Another negative point is that to leave your luggage in the hostel before checking in or after checking out costs FIVE euros!!!

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank missymarsh28293
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed here as part of a Topdeck tour and shared with 3 of my touring companions. The room was fairly small but had an ensuite with a hot shower. The hostel itself is very lively and 'trendy' with a cool bar with live music pretty much every night. Warning, the hostel does this every night and it is incredibly noisy if you intend to go to bed before 2am. However, after 2am it is silent and was really easy to sleep. Breakfast was included and was ok- no toaster though- just basic cereal and juice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Stavanger Municipality, Norway
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Overall my stay at St. Christopher's was a great success. I really loved the rooms, there was no expense spared on the beds and bedding and the staff were friendly. The problem I had with it was in the bathrooms. I went for a shower around 9am on my first morning and the bathroom really needed attention. There was inappropriate "protection" left in a shower (presumably from a party the night before) and the floors were really dirty and soaking wet. I feel if I am showering at a peak time the bathrooms should be maintained.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Jen_C_NL
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here over for two night on an August weekend. The place has a really good set up, good, comfy beds with curtains, friendly staff, an awesome bar at the bottom, with decent food. Also inexpensive drinks for Paris.

The location is a bit off, whilst the metro makes everywhere in the City accessible (and it is right next to the station), Gare du Nord is a dodgy area, we never felt really comfortable outside and walking into the city. Its still safe, just not the best.

Also the rooms were extremely hot.

But other than these small things, the place was great!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I really liked this hostel - I stayed for 3 nights in a 4-bed female dorm. Each bed had a curtain which you could pull across for some privacy, which I loved! You also have your own reading light, shelf and socket. There was ample storage under the beds which you could lock using a padlock. The wifi worked in my room too which was great.

The one minor drawback for me was the area, it's right across from the train station which was good, but I didn't feel too safe walking around the area in the evening/night time. But it was only a 2 minute walk to the train station so it wasn't too bad.

Just a note: the hostel also doesn't have air-conditioning, but in my experience none of the hostels I stayed in in Europe had this anyway. It wasn't too stuffy in the room either, although we left the window open all the time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Toronto
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I was passing by Paris and stayed for 1 night at this hostel.

When I came out of Gare du Nord exit 1, it looked very confusing because it's a busy intersection that splits into a few routes. But once I found my way, the hostel was less than 5 min walk. The neighbourhood itself doesn't look like Le Marais or Grand Opéra, but I wouldn't call it unsafe either as others might. It's an area for party and there may be people asking you for change or cigarettes but nothing more aggressive than that. The location is extremely convenient: close to restaurants, grocery shops, major metro lines and train stations.

As I entered the reception, the registration process was very quick. I completed the online check in so I was in sort of an express line. The staff found my record and gave me my keyless entry card right away. The staff was respectful and spoke English.

I stayed in an 8 bed dorm room: 304 bed E. The room was clean and spacious. It was quiet and didn't hear any noise from the bar/restaurant on the ground floor or from the street. Bed was clean and comfortable, Equipped with a reading light and 2 electrical outlets at the head of the bed. It was a nice touch that there was a curtain you could draw to have some privacy. Someone decided to turn up the air condition even though it was 14 degrees at night! Thank goodness the duvet was sufficient to keep me warm.

Bathroom was generally clean. Shower was not so much.. So i just wore shower slippers. You have to keep pressing a button because the water lasts for less than a minute. Otherwise, hot water was sufficient and i never had to wait in line.

I wasn't able to have their breakfast because it starts at 7:30am and I had to catch an early train. I think it was not very accommodating, considering so many travellers need to leave early for a flight or train. They could've at least start the continental breakfast (not the hot ones that people have to pay extra for) half hour early.

Overall, i had a pleasant stay and would recommend it to people travelling alone or with 1 other person who need somewhere for a short stay. If you're travelling with a group of 3 or 4, you can get a hotel room for similar price but more privacy.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo